Author Topic: Surgery scheduled for 11/13.  (Read 20312 times)

millie

Re: Surgery scheduled for 11/13.
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 08:24:50 am »
My face is a teensy teensy bit better every day, Ken. I attribute this to the repair/regrowth process...at least, I am better than I was.  My head today feels less full.  We can be hopeful. Mil 

BRS89

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 03:37:07 pm »
Ken,

Just wondering how you are now that's it been a few weeks.

Brandon

millie

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 06:37:50 pm »
Yes, Ken...how are you doing?  Are you feeling your face yet? 
Here's how I am doing after trans-lab Oct 17th... About 50 per cent of my face is back...I think I was a 3 on the Brackman after surgery.  I think I remember hearing that. People tell me I look much better  but every morning I jump out of bed and look in the mirror and it seems like a very slow process to me...I actually had a tiny twitch and  then a spasm in my face the other day...I think that might be growing and healing... When I am tired I think my smile gets a little more crooked.  My eye is open fully and blinking more; the droop is much better-but my lid is not doing what it should yet. It doesn't have the life in it the other eyelid has...and my vision in the left eye is a little blurry-enough to make reading troublesome.  I am using lots of eyedrops.  My head still feels full .  I am much better than I was right after surgery.  I hope the improvement keeps going.  I have been missing my hearing the last few days...sort of grieving it.  The incision site-scalp and skin-are numb but the main part of my scalp has come back.
Does this sound familiar?  How are you doing?  Are you driving yet-I drove once but am not sure when I will do it again...hope you are doing well...Mil

kmr1969

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 08:35:36 pm »
Hey Millie and Brandon,

Thanks for checking in and I am doing well.  I am up to taking 3 and 1/2 mile walks and while my balance isn't perfect my missteps are fewer and fewer.  It takes me about an hour to do that distance and I do my facial exercises and turn my head rapidly from side to side while I walk.  Fortunately, I live in the country and rarely see a car go by me.  If I lived in the city, I'm sure someone would have reported me for strange activity.

My face is less numb, but still much more numbness than prior to surgery.  It feels best right when I wake up in the morning and gets progressively worse throughout the day.  My right eye will blink when I focus on it and I am still relying on the drops to make sure it stays moist, but I think here has been a little improvement there as well.  It does stay closed at night while i sleep, so that is good.  My smile has improved slightly from a 50% smile to probably a 60% smile.

I have driven and don't have any problems with it, although I have purposely not driven during rush hour and have mainly stayed off the highway.  But,  i am able to check my blind spot and turn my head at stop signs without any dizziness or vertigo.  I have an hour commute to work, so I am not looking forward to that.

I do plan to go back right after the 1st, but probably on a 50% basis for 2-3 weeks and then hopefully I will be able to make it through an entire day.

Overall, I am very happy with the way things are going.  There have been challenges and days where I feel better and days where I feel worse, but for being 5 weeks post surgery, I think I am doing well.  I certainly am very thankful for how I am doing.

I hope you both have great holidays with your families.  I am so looking forward to watching my boys open presents this year.  They are way too old to believe in Santa Claus, but still there is a special feeling this time of year.

Best wishes to all,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

chance1212

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 10:50:53 pm »
Ken, I am glad you are doing well. I also had my surgery on 11/13 and plan to go back to teaching after the 1st. I am wondering why you will go back part-time.I teach elementary school, and I am paying for a sub the 1st day back because I want her to show me what the class has been doing. An added benefit will be if I get tired. Even though I was SSD prior to surgery, one of the few side effects I have is increased ringing and feeling of fullness on AN side. I noticed it was difficult to hear at the school. At home it is quiet, and I've been away from the classroom since before Thanksgiving; therefore, I am hoping to adjust quickly.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

kmr1969

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 05:19:17 am »
J,

I am thinking of a p/t return because I have a long commute and by working p/t I can probably work my schedule to avoid the craziness of rush hour traffic, plus I still suffer from fatigue.  Hopefully, this will help me ease back into my normal schedule.  I work in a pretty noisy and faced past office environment so I know I am going to tire quickly. 

It sounds like you are also doing well.  I would imagine that it is tough for a teacher to go back p/t, but I would think that is a challenging job to return to so soon after surgery.  Hopefully, your kids will understand, be on their best behavior, and help you ease back into your normal life.

Congrats on your good recovery.  Keep it up!

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far