Author Topic: Surgery scheduled for 11/13.  (Read 20310 times)

dtorres135

Re: Surgery scheduled for 11/13.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 01:25:50 pm »
what is the size of your tumor.  usually experts in gamma knife would only suggest surgery if the tumor is big.  Met with NYU doctors today.  I'm a candidate for both options and understand gamma knife has less risk of facial nerve damage/paralysis.   That is my greatest fear.  My tumor is 1.7 (I believe that's small).  I decided to do another MRI in January to see if there has been any growth and then finalize by decision and schedule the treatment. 

cindyjarrett

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 04:24:10 pm »
Ken,

Wanted to wish you the best of luck and let you know that you are in my prayers.  I will be praying for you especially on Tuesday.  I had gamma knife three weeks ago.  It is not something I wanted to do, but the day of the procedure I was at peace.  I feel that was from all the prayers and support.  May God give you that peace.  I will be waiting to hear from you.

Cindy
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

kmr1969

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 06:23:05 pm »
dt135 - We've kinda averaged all of the various measurements to come up with 2.7 cm.  We spoke to 4 neurosurgeons and they all had slightly different measurements.  So, I was on the end of the scale for radiosurgery. 

Although, I had 2 very well regarded radio-surgeons tell me that they were comfortable treating me with gamma knife.  It was the first and only radiation oncologist that we spoke with that said to me with my age, 43, and the size of my tumor, he would recommend I strongly consider microsurgery.  Because my tumor was close to the brain stem he was concerned about radiation hitting outside of the tumor. 

If my tumor was your size, I would absolutely be considering GK as my first choice.

Where are you located?

2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

kmr1969

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »
Cindy,

Good to hear from you and I very sincerely appreciate your prayers.

I hope you are still feeling well after your trip to Dr. Sheehan.

You made the right choice for you and I know you will have a great result.

I actually had a peaceful day today which was nice because yesterday I was a bit of a wreck.  Was able to work in the yard after voting.  Between raking leaves and picking up twigs, I laid down and just looked at a nice blue sky.

Best wishes for a continued easy recovery from GK and a countdown to your first MRI showing that your tumor is losing its battle with the GK zap.

Ken
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

millie

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 07:59:17 pm »
Ken...  I am three weeks out of translab at NYU.  I had an evaluation by HOUSE as well. You will be in wonderful hands, I think staying the week extra to recuperate is a great idea.
 I am happy I chose surgery...I was at peace with my decision once I made it. I felt very confident in my doctors.  I  found the first days after surgery very challenging, but  it did get better.
Let your loved ones take care of you. 

You are in all of our prayers.
Millie

Lillygold

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 08:51:35 pm »
Ken
Praying for you. My surgery is on the same day .i hope the 13 th is our lucky number.

kmr1969

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 06:53:07 am »
Hi Lilly,

I'm glad it is not a Friday!  Best of luck to you as well and I will certainly include you in my prayers.  Thanks for including me in your prayers.

Today is my last day at home as we fly to LA tomorrow morning.  A little depressing waking up this morning and thinking about 2 weeks away from home.  But, we have Skype set up so I should be able to do video chats with my sons.

Coming down the home stretch.

Ken

Lillygold

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 07:14:22 am »
Glad it is not Friday too. Thank goodness for technology so that you can be visually with your sons. Look forward to hearing how your out come. I am going to see a kids movie with kids that I am very close too. Plan to have a nice week end.  Time will fly for you and you will be home soon leaving behind An.

It is what it is

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 12:07:40 pm »
My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.  Have you tried deep, slow abdominal breathing, or other relaxation exercises to help with anxiety? 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

kmr1969

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 08:44:17 am »
Surgery is done and my wife and I spent our first night back at Seton hall last night.

Have been very fortunate so far as I've had little dizziness and/or upset stomach, and have avoided all of the other complications that you don't want to get.

Patti (pattiken) was a day behind me in the surgery as was a young lady named Casey who I have not met, but my wife said she was doing well.  Patti should released from st Vincent's today and being local to la she will head to all of the comforts of home.

Follow up doctor apps for Wednesday with drs. Brackmann and Stefan, and then with a continued uneventful recovery, a flight home on thanksgiving.  Face is ok, but my trigeminal nerve is acting up, so although it may look ok to someone else it feels like it is swollen and unresponsive to me.  Drs said I was a '1' after surgery and that is where I should end up.  What an absolute miracle that would be.

Hope other new surgery and radio surgery veterans are well

Ken

It is what it is

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 09:04:49 am »
Ken, thanks for your update.  It is wonderful to hear you are doing so well!  I wish you and the other recent posties continued healing. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

cindyjarrett

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 10:25:34 am »
Ken,

Have been praying for you every day.  So glad to hear everything went well and you are doing so well.  You will be home before you know it.  Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.  We have lots to be thankful for.

Cindy
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

millie

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 08:47:46 pm »
Great news, Ken.  May your recovery continue to go well.  Mil

kmr1969

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 08:54:57 am »
Good morning all,

Sleep has been a little tricky.  Being on a different coast and with so many pills, my body doesn't seem sure what to do.

Had a good day of walking yesterday and even did a few laps around the small garden at the seton hall guest center.  Perfect with 5 steps down and then 5 steps back up.  Trigeminal nerve seems to be healing a bit as I feel more of my tongue, lip, and right side of my face then right after surgery.  My right eye did decide to turn stubborn yesterday and disobey my commands to blink, but I think that is a little better this morning as well.

Two steps forward and one step back. 

Still very pleased with progress to date and happy to be on the other side of surgery.

Thank you for all of your support.  Praying for patience, progress everyday, and an uneventful 5 hour flight back to MD on Thursday.

Ken

It is what it is

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 09:28:35 am »
Your updates are great to read and my thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

Karen