Author Topic: surgery in the morning  (Read 22626 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: surgery in the morning
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 07:37:30 am »
Karen .....

It sounds like you are on a normal track for recovery.  Keep up the good work!!

I loved walking in the beautiful Seton Hall garden each morning while we were there ..... it was unusually cool when we were there in May last year so we walked outside as much as possible ..... with jackets on!

Let me know if you'd like the balance and gaze stabilization exercises.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 08:01:57 am »
Sounds like you are doing great they truly are a great team of doctors...Try to do as much Vestibular Therapy as possible it does help and you will be able to see the difference in no time ...

Best Wishes and welcome to the Wonky Headers....
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

It is what it is

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 08:05:31 am »
Thanks Clarice!  Yes. I would love to receive the exercises.  Is it possible to send by email?

The gardens are still lovely.  ;)

I hope you are doing well.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

It is what it is

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 08:10:53 am »
I feel honored to join the group of the wonky headers.  It means I'm also joining you as a postie and I'm glad to be on this side.  :)

I hope you are also doing well?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

volleymom

• had pressure on my Pons
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 05:12:03 pm »
Karen,
It is good to see your notes.  At just one week, it sounds like you are doing well.  Frequent short walks, naps, balance exercises and time.  Your body and brain will adapt with time.  I found that I felt better and stronger once I got myself onto just Ibuprofen and Tylenol for pain.   

Waiting for more updates on your progress..

Kathy
9mm X 16mm diagonsed in August 2009.  Retrosigmoid Nov, 2009 at OHSU in Portland, OR.
post-op had some facial nerve weakness, nearly resolved. Mild tinnitus. Left sided deafness.

It is what it is

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »
Thanks Kathy.  I stopped pain medication before discharge.  Sleep is a challenge but I'm thinking that will happen better after I'm off steroids?

Karen

lrobie

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 07:34:18 pm »
I don't know if I'm a rare breed, but I have been off the steriod for a week and half and I'm still not able to sleep.  I'm glad they gave me ambien for night time.  I also don't nap most days.  I had it in my mind that I would be laying on the couch day in and day out.  It's has been far from it.  Today I made chocolate chip cookies, went shopping for my son's birthday gifts and went to dinner with friends.  I can't seem to sit still.  Maybe I'm overdoing it.  I worry that it's going to hit me and I'll be totally exhausted.

Karen - sorry to hear about the bacteria.  Is it around your incision?

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

It is what it is

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 09:31:12 pm »
I'm laughing as I read about your incredible energy level.  Your little guy won't miss anything this year on his birthday even though his mom has gone through all you have.  Amazing!

Karen

millie

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:29 am »
Lisa-incredible and wonderful!  Karen-best wishes for a good recovery and thanks for sharing with us newbies.  Millie

LizAN

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 06:02:44 pm »
Karen,

So good to have you as a postie!  Congratulations!

I didn't have to have any staples or stitches removed, but I had translab with Dr. Slattery.  He gave me the list of vestibular exercises at my post-op appointment so maybe you will get them tomorrow.

I still feel weird, but I have been able to walk multiple laps around our big circular driveway, without assistance.  I can even walk the dog on leash and have been doing so for weeks now.  We live out in the country and the ground is very uneven.  I was nervous at first but I am now able to walk about a half mile at a time, if it's not too hot outside.

I miss the cooler southern CA temps!

Again, glad to see you posting again and keep us up to date on your progress.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

LizAN

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 06:03:31 pm »
Lisa,

You are the Energizer Bunny!  What's your secret?

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

lrobie

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »
I think maybe I'm overdoing it and need to slow down.  It could be why I continue to have headaches.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

LizAN

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 07:59:27 pm »
Lisa,

What kind of headaches are you having?  Do they involve your whole head or are they radiating out from your surgery site?

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

lrobie

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 08:36:28 am »
Sometimes they start at the incision site and radiate, but then are just all over headaches.  So I guess that's both kinds.  Luckily, and cross my fingers, they haven't been debilitating.  I wonder, though, what would happen if I stopped all meds.

Karen - are you having headaches?  I know you had mid-fossa too.  I hope your appointments go well today.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

It is what it is

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 06:12:33 am »
It has now been 22 days since surgery with HEI.  I'm amazed at how carefully they cut the scalp around my long hair so that even immediately after surgery I could comb hair over the staples and no one could tell I'd just had surgery. Reading the surgical report by Dr. Schwartz was enlightening.  He's obviously a very gifted surgeon.  Bobble head and wonky head are improving. The vestibular symptoms are the most challenging and the only thing reminding me that I just had brain surgery. I didn't need to use pain medication after discharge. So, all is better than I had imagined at this point.  I'm scheduled to return to work the beginning of September and was hoping I'd be ready to drive then as well.  I'll see how I feel by then. 

Thanks again for all the support along the way!!!!

Karen