Author Topic: Chelsea again  (Read 4624 times)

chelsmom

Chelsea again
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:43:16 pm »
Hey Raydean and Chet
Thanks for asking about Chelsea.  She is doing well.  We are still here at the hospital, just over 5 weeks now, and she had her last surgery for this visit on Friday.  The surgery was on her paralyzed vocal cord (right side).  They cut some muscles and rotated the right vocal cord towards the mid-line so that when she talks the left vord cord moves out to the middle and will hopefully give her some of her voice back.  She has been in re-hab about a week or so but because of unexplained high heart rate 140-154 bpm at resting they wouldn't even let her get out of bed.  Days of testing with cardio and pulmonary doctors turned up nothing but they said her heart is strong and they let her up to start her rehab. They want to put her an a low dose beta-blocker and keep an eye on her.  I wonder if anyone else had this problem after their AN was removed?  I'll have to ask.  The estimated release date is Aug. 8 if she is able to get her tracheostomy removed soon and see if she can swallow anything.  If not, they will do the feeding tube in the stomach,  instead on the one she has now through her nose, before she goes home.  At this point they will want to do a small surgery in a few months on her right eye because it only moves to the left and doesn't move any further right than the middle.  Then in Dec or Jan they will do 30 days of radiation in 6 weeks.  I hope for her that will be the end of it.  I know there might be long term effects from all this but we will hope for the best.  Thanks for everyones support.  I'm glad I found this thread to help us through this.   With warmest regards.... Michelle

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: Chelsea again
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:33:52 am »
Michelle,

I had a 5cm x 5cm tumor as well as hydrocephalus and two shunt surgeries but I never went through what Chelsea is enduring!
Good God! It goes to show you that the outcome of this kind of malady is a Pandora's box due to the complications that can occur - especially with big tumors - pressing on and ensnaring all those cranial nerves. I happened to luck out, probably because of what nerves were being effected by the growth and that the growth was not sticky - as is reported in many cases - and separated well from the nerve -
as was reported by my neurosurgeon. I also had GREAT doctors at Mass General in Boston.
   I remember when I was in the hospital that my heart rate was ridiculously high - enough to concern everyone - and my bloodwork was a bit off as well. These things took some time to stabilize and return to normal, weeks after being discharged from the hospital.
   When I first hospitalized for the shunt installation, it had somehow become dislodged the first day. I remember I got really sick and was rushed back into surgery the next morning for the reinstallation. Once the wounds heal up and the shunt is firmly seated, you can get back to normal. I've been bench pressing more than my own weight and running 3-4 miles a day now.

Please keep us posted on Chelsea,   Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 08:16:25 am »
Michelle,

MASSIVE HUGGLES to you and to your family and most of all, to that courageous, terrific Chelsea! Please please send her my love and tell her we're cheering her on so so so much!  thank you for her updates...and please remember to try to take a little time for yourself as well.

xo
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:03:35 am »
Michelle,
Thanks for the update. We are keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers!!!!
Lynn

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:29:01 am »
Michelle, Thanks for the update. Chelsea has sure been through a lot for one so young. She gives me courage to continue my battle and helps me keep my "feel sorry for me" self in check. Much love to you all.    Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 01:40:50 pm »
Our collective prayers go out to Chelsea and to you, Michelle. 

Chelsea is certainly a fighter and the fact that she is scheduled to come home in a few weeks must be very encouraging for both of you.

Her courage - and yours - certainly puts the post-op problems of some of us in a better perspective. 

Acoustic Neuomas and the surgery to remove them can be a massive inconvenience, as it was for me and others, or a medical nightmare.  I regret that Chelsea's case fell into the latter category.  May both of you see better days, soon.   :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 03:43:16 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 02:14:16 pm »
I, too, am flabbergasted at what Chelsea has had to go through. And the rest of your family, also.  This is your Summer from H###, that's for sure.  I hope you can "feel the love" that has been sent your way and that somehow, it helps you to know that there are people who are concerned for Chelsea and your welfare. Please give her a kiss on the cheek from all of us. She's a fighter but I think she will beat this terrible thing that has come into her life. Take care.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Raydean

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 02:45:22 pm »
Michelle

I am so glad for the update.  But it totally boggels my mind.  It's hard to understand why so much on someone so young.  Giant AN's are capable of causing so many outcomes far beyond what is the norm.  Chelsea and you are both in our thoughts  and in our hearts.  You are both going thru so much.  Sending you hugs, prayers and best wishes for all things good and positive.

Please keep us updated as time allows.  feel free to email me direct anytime.

Huggles
Raydean and Chet
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

chrissmom

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 08:53:50 pm »
Michelle,
I'm going thru the  summer from h... right along with you.  It seems to me that when you're dealing with the brain, so many things can go wrong.  We too have had our share of setbacks.  Chris was just operated on Friday so we don't know too much of the latest outcome.  I can tell you that his heartrate has been racing too.  We've had bouts of tachycardia for weeks now.  His blood pressure is high too.  Chris also has the shakes along his right side and some of the torso.  We don't know what is causing the tremors, they come and go.  It may be the drugs.  He starts shaking when the antibiotic is given by IV.  We have had many disappointments.  We hope he will recover and get this behind him.  We are hoping the same for Chelsea.  I will continue to pray for Chris and Chelsea.
Rita

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 09:20:56 am »
Hey Chelsea!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGGLES}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 09:41:44 am »
Michelle, Thanks for the update. Chelsea has sure been through a lot for one so young. She gives me courage to continue my battle and helps me keep my "feel sorry for me" self in check. Much love to you all.    Sherry

Our Windy Winch Wench said it all!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mtn Gal

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 09:36:10 am »
Hi.
I can only imagine what you and your family are going thru.
When we face such overwhelming obstacles, we can't see what the outcome will be.
I believe Chelsea will overcome each circumstance; she has the greatest support group in her family.
Thru these challenges, all of you will become stronger.
Chelsea will be a very outstanding young woman in the years to come.
One day she will look back and realize the strength her experiences have given her.

To Taylor, Chris, and their families, this message is for you too. 

As these young folks are being challenged every day with obstacles their peers can't comprehend,
and their families can't understand, just know you are gaining strength for the future.
A future bright and hopeful (because after dealing with AN's, life has more meaning).
You learn to appreciate each day for what it is, what you can give to others, and
what you can take with you for the next day.

"Chin Up" (Winnie The Pooh)

Let us be thankful it is as well as it is.

With lots of good thoughts, well wishes, prayers, and hugs,
Mtn Gal

Mtn Gal
Dx Spring 2003 (7mm)
MRI Spring 2006 (13mm)
Retrosigmoid Surgery 05/31/06
Wake Forest Univ. Med. Ctr.