Author Topic: What caused your AN ?  (Read 59282 times)

okiesandy

Re: What caused your AN ?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 11:57:10 pm »
Did anyone go into the Kansas City Acoustic Neuroma site and look at their poll? Very interesting reading. I fit into all of the catigories.

Also, something I have learned from talking to several ANers is that a lot have other autoimmune diseases. As several of you know I was tested positive for Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease. I know of another lady that has lupus and several more that have some other kind of autoimmune thing going on.

Also, I was a heavy anti oxident and supplement user. I hadn't had a cold or flu in years.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

onebadass350bird

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2006, 11:44:50 pm »
Well i'm a newbie here but I'm pretty sure that the most commonly excepted cause in the medical field from what I've read is there is a malfunction in the DNA trait that controls cell growth (the "brake" mentioned before) in the 22nd chromosome in the Schawn cells that normally form a sheath around the hearing nerve. From what I gather, modern genetics still doesnt know the cause of the DNA malfunction.
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

Kathyaquino

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2006, 09:20:44 pm »
After reading all the replies to this question that has no answer, I have decided in my own mind that my tumor was caused by working in a building full of asbestos & drinking too many diet cokes.

Kathy

Kilroy1976

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 02:34:34 pm »
If you assume that the growth rate that my AN has exhibited recently has been constant throughout its existence, its formation would coincide perfectly with the date that I quit smoking pot. So remember kids, don't use drugs, but if you do use drugs, keep using them or you'll get a brain tumor.  ;)
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 03:40:48 pm »

Funny you should say that ...The timing is about right for me too !!!!  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006, 09:54:20 pm »
Interesting thought on "pot", I never touched the stuff but maybe I should have and kept going with it!!!

Joef - have you checked out the hits that this thread has received - over 1100 at last count.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Kilroy1976

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 08:32:38 am »
It seems like maybe someone should do a study! I might have thought twice about "choosing life" if I had known the risks.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2006, 03:37:40 pm »
I would say I've had my 4 cm AN for 20 or 25 years. which puts the "birth" of my AN in my teen years
Lets see know... Smokin , Drinking , Head trauma ... could be anything I guess ... I vote is its a condition
I was born with ... not what I did or didn't do...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

SKT

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2006, 09:35:02 am »
Could someone provide me with a link to the Kansas City Acoustic Neuroma poll?

SKT

dpericoni

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2006, 09:23:23 am »

Concerts - never liked concerts. Never liked loud noises
Cell Phone - not very often.
Head Trauma - yes
Smokin Tabacco - occasionally
Smokin (other!) - No 
Caffeine - Yes, just in the mornings
Beer - Yes and red wine
Whiskey - Nope
computer - yes
artificial sweetner - never
chemical exposure - grew up on a vegetable farm with lots of pesticides.
autoimmune disease - both parents
birth control/hormonal changes - yes, within a month of going on the pill noticed hearing loss and within 2 weeks ringing started
Stress-major at the time of diagnoses
overall physical health - good
blood work - excellent

Darlene
5mm by 8mm
Middle Fossa
Left side deafness
House

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2006, 11:57:15 am »
Joe,
         I agree with you. It's just something that happens, something we're born with. Mine started when I was 11 or so and I had unaccountable spells of vertigo to prove it - I've written about them in other posts - up through the age of 30. Then they stopped. The left side deafness started to creep in around 1999 - 2000 - 42 or 43 years of age. Double vision started in 2002. It wasn't until last year, 2005 that my equilibrium went haywire that I sought treatment. By that time, the thing had grown to 5cm x 5cm. First had the shunt installed for
C.S.F. buildup and then the tumor resection a month later. Miraculously, I've never suffered from headaches, which goes to show, it's all how the cards fall in some respects.
   Interestingly enough, as I've said before, my paternal grandfather died from a non-cancerous brain tumor in 1941. Of course, back then there was little or nothing that could be done for people with our condition.

Take care, Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2006, 02:48:05 pm »
I too do not really fall into any of the "categories", other than I was a teen in the 70's.  Two Dr.s are doing a study at U of M on the Schwan(sp?) cells.  This seems to be the most likely culprit, but they still don't have all the answers.I gladly donated my tumor for the study!! :Dluv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

minnkris

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2006, 12:18:46 pm »
dpericoni
You say you were under major stress at the time of diagnosis. I had just received some very bad news days before my symptoms began. Emotional trauma, I like to call it. The symptoms were sudden and severe (vertigo, headache, hearing loss and facial paralysis). Of course, I don't think the emotional trauma caused the AN, but I do wonder what goes on in our heads when we're under severe stress.
8mm x 6mm AN left side
GK August, 2005

dpericoni

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2006, 07:49:19 pm »
minnkris

Women get ANs more often (but not by much) than men so there may be an estrogen connection. I have read that stress changes our hormone balance.

Dpericoni

thecakes

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2006, 05:37:05 pm »
   If I was ti blame my AN on anything it would be the 20 years working in chemicals.the cakes