Author Topic: Mark Ruffalo Synkinesis  (Read 3794 times)

Kristena

Mark Ruffalo Synkinesis
« on: June 02, 2016, 09:08:21 am »
I had posted a couple times on Mark Ruffalo’s amazing recovery “with no ill effects” following 10 months of facial paralysis. Well, his recovery is still amazing, and I know I’m hyper critical, but while I was watching “Spotlight” over the weekend, I definitely noticed some synkinesis in his eye, chin and neck. Is it possible that synkinesis wouldn’t present itself until all these years later? Or maybe he was having Botox or other treatments earlier but has since decided to go au naturel? Thoughts?
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

ANGuy

Re: Mark Ruffalo Synkinesis
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:35:43 pm »
I have seen several interviews etc with Mr. Ruffalo.  In my opinion, which is not in any way educated, I see subtle imperfections in his face and have seen them from early on.  I would not have known they were from an AN however.

Frankly, I like it.  That is not to say I am glad his face isn't perfect, it's just that I am sick and tired of leading men for the last twenty years looking like Katie Curic.  Matt Damon looks like a woman, Mark Ruffalo looks like a man.  In my world, men look like men and women look like women. 

Other notable leading men who did not have perfect faces include Humphrey Bogart, Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, Burt Lancaster Robert Mitchum.  Think of it this way, who was a better Bond, Sean Connery or Roger Moore?  Does anyone believe Roger Moore could have kicked the crap out of Robert Shaw had he been cast in From Russia with Love?

I am the same with women too.  Jenny Agutter is exponentially more interesting to me than whoever is the latest Hollywood pixie that is supposed to be so alluring with her anorexic body and perfect nose.  I'll take Lauren Hutton any day over what they push as beauty these days.

So, Mark Ruffalo's face isn't perfect.  Neither are the faces of many people I admire.  He's got class and he forges onward in his vocation to support his family despite having razor blades and pointy tools playing a tune on his facial nerve for eight or so hours.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Sheba

Re: Mark Ruffalo Synkinesis
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 05:03:08 pm »

He mentions in his video that when he first got facial movement back, sometimes the movement was not what he intended.   I forget the example but something like, he meant to raise an eyebrow and instead it moved down. 

I think "no ill effects" means he made huge progress from having zero movement post op, to being able to return to his craft and have a only few subtle quirks which give character to his look / don't interfere with his life.  [if you are a fan, check out "Begin Again". it's on Netflix - really liked the music and the story as well]

I am surprised how many people's faces in general have some asymmetry, one side a bit more relaxed/slack looking than the other;  one eyebrow higher, one side of lip lower etc.   It's interesting.  I think many people have a "dominant" side on their faces, with more nuanced movement, and a lazier side that is not as "animated".  But I have not really looked into any science behind this, just kind of see it - especially more so now that I have AN and am approaching surgery date !!!

Yay for everyone not looking photo-shopped and "perfect" !
Diagnosed 4/2016 1.4cm AN.  Mild hearing loss and tinnitus.
Removed 7/2016 at Keck, Drs. Freidman and Giannotta, Retrosig approach.  Lost hearing in AN ear, but no other negative outcomes.  Will investigate bone anchored hearing devices.