Author Topic: facial asymmetry getting more pronounced  (Read 3121 times)

Marianne

facial asymmetry getting more pronounced
« on: April 19, 2016, 03:03:28 pm »
Hi,
It's been 25 years since I had my acoustic neuroma surgery. My tumor was the size of an egg (11 centimeters) and my surgery lasted 15 and 1/2 hours. I had some facial paralysis and dry eye. After several months, I was able to close my eye and my mouth returned to nearly normal. But as I am aging, my mouth pulls more and more toward one side and I wonder if it's too late now to have some form of physical therapy for my face. Post op I did not have any. Over all I think that my dry eye is still the most aggravating thing for me but I wish there was something I could do to keep my face from getting more and more pulled to one side. Has anyone had the same experience?

mar

Re: facial asymmetry getting more pronounced
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:10:33 am »
I don't think it's ever too late for therapy. At the very least they can evaluate you and monitor your face over time. There are also facial exercises and massage techniques they can teach you to help maintain facial tone.

If you can afford to, I think you should see a reconstructive facial plastic surgeon. Do you have an eyelid weight? The eyelid weight surgery went a long way toward reducing my dependence on eye drops. A surgeon would be able to tell you about what options you have and help you decide what to do.