Author Topic: IS this TRUE!!!?? if so, THIS IS SCARY!!  (Read 15418 times)

dieselducy

• dieselducy is a REAL live train engine!!
    • This is my silly website!
IS this TRUE!!!?? if so, THIS IS SCARY!!
« on: September 05, 2006, 05:18:53 pm »
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/tooloud.htm

it says that loud noise can cause ANs!!   :o  I have listened to a Walkman at full blast since I was 13 and I am 29 now!!!  i still LOVE my music loud!!!   please let me know how valad this is!!
dieselducy is a REAL live train engine!!

http://dieselducy.com

Obita

Re: IS this TRUE!!!?? if so, THIS IS SCARY!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 05:50:37 pm »
dieselducy:

I have heard this before but never gave it much thought.  If I got it from loud noise it was from airplanes.  I grew up very close to Mpls. St. Paul Int'l Airport.  They flew so low over our house and were so loud you could not hear the person talking next to you when they were overhead.  There was a airplane overhead every two min. durring the day.

If loud noise, music is the cause of AN's shouldn't they be more common than they are?

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

dieselducy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 05:55:04 pm »
i'd think so..   HOW can a noise cause a growth??     ::)  anyway, it'd be nice to know. . I think the study was done in ohio..

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 06:21:21 pm »
dieselducy,
  There have been many studies atempting to find environmental "causes" for An tumors.  Including things like cell phone use, etc.  I found one that had one of it's best statistical matches to be having children around- which I thought was pretty funny.  You'll find several stories out there about causes for AN, but they seem to be serendipty.
  The only "cause" that I've seen mentiuoned in medical literature was related to a gene on the 22nd chromosome, some tumor suppressor gene.
  So, it's probably not loud music.  Although that obviously can harm hearing.
Regards,
 Rob
PS: My first concert was Hendrix- naw it couldn't have been that.
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

dieselducy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 07:06:09 pm »
it seems like "living" is hazardous to your health ;D

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 02:27:19 pm »
I recall seeing something about loud music having something to do with the growth rate of an AN, but not causing it.  I went to a ton of concerts in my youth, and always found myself at the front barracade with one of the Marshall stacks screaming into my right ear...my AN ear.  The doctor said that my AN was large for my age, and since I don't have any of the other "so-called" risk factors to blame, I'm going with that one...noise stress on my acoustic/balance nerve that may have sped up the growth process of something already there. 

Rob...mine was Judas Priest...a couple years too shy of Hendrix time...which is too bad since I live near his home town!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Sefra22

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 06:00:29 pm »
I have managed a record (CD, now) store for 20 years, so I have been exposed to loud music daily.  I have been to many, many concerts*. I also lived less than half a mile from an airport for 12 twelve years. So although a link to AN makes sense to me, but I'm still not convinced it is the cause.

*My first concert was Alice Cooper in 1977.  ;)
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

clw

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 10:04:56 am »
I had GK last December and was told the cause "is unknown" - big help.  Never hear the loud noise theory but I always thought mine was caused by being strapped into the passenger seat going down the freeway at 80 mph while my husband complained complained complained about the kids - so I went deaf in my left ear!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 05:37:33 pm »
I attended a seminar at Mass Eye and Ear today on "Hearing loss/balance, Tinnitus/BAHA-Cochlear implants" and this was certainly discussed.  In agreement with others, MEEI noted that their is no direct scientific correlation of loud noises causes AN's. They did note about being able to preserve current/usuable hearing in today's environments of loud noises but no proof in they actually cause the growth of AN's.  Someone in the audience also noted about mobile/cellphones and 2 of the dr's there shared that although that was brought up a few years back, there is been no shown just cause that the waves emitted by mobile phones (or their antennae) cause AN's or hearing loss.  Just FYI what MEEI shared.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 03:49:17 pm »
I'm no physician or scientist but I do know that Acoustic Neuromas were noted - and operated on - over 100 years ago (the patients usually died as a result of then-primitive surgical techniques).  As that was long before jet airliners, cell phones or rock bands and amps I have to seriously doubt the 'loud noise causes AN's' theory.  Not that there weren't plenty of loud noises in the late 19th and early 20th century, especially if you worked in a factory, but I still don't see any logic in a tumor growing just from sheer noise, which vibrates the eardrum and excites the inner ear's nerve cells but hardly seems likely to instigate a tumorous growth on the eighth (cochlear) nerve.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm more inclined to believe that genes are a factor, not sound.  However, I'm just a layman and could very well be wrong.  In any case, until AN's become more common and get a celebrity spokesman (usually a former patient) to push for more research money, we may never find out.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 06:16:07 am »
I don't and never really did listen to alot of loud music.  This study reminds me of the cell phone study. I don't use a cell phone very  much now or even prior to my surgery. I basically have come to the conclusion that I had a cell that went wild in my head and as a result if it my tumor came about.

okiesandy

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 03:17:40 pm »
Group,

I heard something very scary today on the news. They said there has been a 25% increase in brain tumors over the past 15 years. They did not say what kind of brain tumors. Anybody hear this?

Of course there were AN's a hundred years ago. Even my neurosurgeon said she she thinks there has been an increase in AN's in recent years. There has been an increase in cancer why not brain tumors? Cancer has always been around too.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 03:22:50 pm »
My doctor told me in the last couple of years he's gone from doing 1-2 surgeries a month, to 1-2 a week.  Didn't pontificate as to why he thinks the rate is increasing.  So?????????? 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 04:26:40 pm »
Group,

Of course there were AN's a hundred years ago. Even my neurosurgeon said she she thinks there has been an increase in AN's in recent years. There has been an increase in cancer why not brain tumors? Cancer has always been around too.

Sandy

The point is that if Acoustic Neuromas  (as well as cancer) have been around for well over 100 years, that fact makes the theories about cell phones and so on being the alleged cause, invalid.  I am not a physician or scientist but I still think it's genetic, not environmental.  Same with cancer: genetic. 

With MRI scanners being used extensively and a better awareness (by both physicians and patients) of Acoustic Neuromas, I'm not surprised that they are being found and removed at a higher rate than before.  This is a good thing.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 05:08:35 pm »
Group,

I heard something very scary today on the news. They said there has been a 25% increase in brain tumors over the past 15 years. They did not say what kind of brain tumors. Anybody hear this?

Sandy

*blows kiss to Sandy*  :-*

Sandy, interesting point brought up.  I do know from my own experience.... when we lost my sister back in 1969, there were also cases of diagnosed cancers and lupus on the street we lived on in my home town (a short street with only 15 houses total - 8 one side, 7 other side).  We had come to find out that there was some toxic dumping approx 1 mile away from the house and there is a river that flows through the area of the dumping.  Now, many of us in the family, as well as those that lived on that street (that we remain in contact) have discussed about the chance of the toxic dumping and could it have been a direct affect to the illnesses (we had my sister's malignant childhood astrocytoma, 3 cases of lupus, including my baby sister, next door neighbor and another neighbor 3 houses up the street, 2 breast cancers and my pancreatic, but we believe that is heredity from my grandfather). 

From my understanding of AN's, although the research I have read on it does not (at this time) show any environmental influence of their growths, I have read about the chance of a genetic link... as I think others here have mentioned it as well.  So, could it be that for AN's, many ancestors or somewhere in the blood line, family members may have had them and never knew it?  Makes sense, for me, as my maternal grandmother had issues with unbelievable tinnitus, balance, etc but was never diagnosed as such.

Thoughts?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"