Author Topic: limitations - help please  (Read 4541 times)

alicia

• it is well
Re: limitations - help please
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 09:08:25 am »
Priscilla - How many weeks post op were you when you got your leak?  How did you know?  And how long til the meningitis set in? 
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 09:22:08 am »
My leak was contained at the incision site, in the form of a big goose egg.  It showed up about 4-5 weeks after the surgery.  The meningitis set in about two weeks after that, with major, migraine like headaches.  Then the usual meningitis symptoms started up. It was diagnosed w/a lumbar puncture and I was hospitalized for 4 days, then two weeks on home IV therapy.  The spinal tap reduced the pressure in my head and the leak eventually healed.  I'm really feeling good now, w/only a few minor headaches/neck issues every now and then. I went back to teaching full time and finished out the school year with my class, and that made me very happy.  :) :)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 09:47:44 am »
Something else that probably needs to be noted is that when all this took place I turned 60, so my healing was more than likely slower than a lot of you young whippersnappers will experience! :D

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 11:17:03 am »
Hello Ladies,

I agree with Priscilla, "Better to be overly cautious".

Scarlett just pasted 12 weeks as a postie.  We went to her second VPT yesterday at MGH in Boston.  She told the therapist of the pressure and aches that she has in her AN ear and incision area.  The therapist told us that even though the scar looks to be healing very nicely, there is still a lot of healing going on inside.

When Scarlett was in ICU the nurse told her "slow and steady wins the race".  We have recited that phrase over and over, and so far (knock on wood) she is doing very well.  She does some light exercising, walking on the treadmill, and stuff around the house, but I won't let her lift anything close to heavy.  It's just not worth it!  Like the rest of you, she has been through too much crap, to risk a set back.

Carolyn, you said "he's been adjusting to the "too heavy" for mommy thing", please listen to your intuition, 30 pounds is alot!  Do you really want to chance it?

Just my two cents!

Continued healing to all of you,

Rich
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 01:13:44 pm »
Carolyn ~

Your situation is, as previous posts indicate, quite common.  I would follow your doctor's instructions regarding lifting restrictions and I would cite Priscilla's ('msmaggie') experience as basis for that opinion.  Doctors don't impose lifting restrictions and precise time-frames for no good reason.  I was pretty scrupulous about the lifting restrictions, post-op, but even some months later, when I attempted to lift an item that was 40 pounds or so, I could feel the strain at my incision site.  I quickly put down the item and asked my adult son to lift it, instead.  Even now, 3 years post-op and fully healed, I avoid lifting anything over 50 pounds. 

As compelling as the natural urge to lift your child may be, it really isn't worth the risk.  Once healed, you'll have plenty of opportunity to lift him to your heart's content.  As for your husband, he's probably very relieved that you're doing so incredibly well and just wants to see everything (mostly, you) be 'back to normal'.  Perhaps a quiet talk that acknowledges his feelings but also points out the reality of your surgery and that you can't just ignore the doctor's instructions with no fear of negative consequences, might be a good idea.  If you do this, be sure to emphasize that it's temporary - and that you'll be lifting your son again in a few months.  You might add that if your little boy understands, daddy should too....or try, anyway.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

AthenasMom

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 05:57:34 pm »
Please please please listen to you doctor on this one!  I tired to use my own judgement and ended up with a CSF leak.  Its not worth it.  Please don't try to do too much.    The time will go by quicker than you think..
Surgery 4/26/02
Cleveland Clinic

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 10:09:38 am »
HHmmm....this thread has me worried about my thoughts of paddling in the CCBC on August 15th. I'll be 2 months post-op. I may have to base my decision on the conditions that day.

This brings up a thought though. What may be heavy for some would be lightweight for me (not bragging, just genetics). While the paddle isn't easy, it isn't the same thing as lifting heavy weight. I've had differing responses from the docs. Going to have to look into it more.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 10:36:39 am »
Stoneax~
I would go out & really look at every aspect - even resistance of water from various angles.  When I was ging birth 2, 6 & 7 YEARS AFTER my surgery, the Dr. (OB-GYN) was still a bit concerned about the pushing & straining of giving birth.  Of course, that is VERY intense, full bodied straining...I had EXTREMELY easy births (2 pushes w/ the FIRST! & by the 3rd, she just slipped out), but they were still prepared none the less w/ the forcepts and consideration of C-section!  DEFINITELY talk to your Dr. about that!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 11:41:15 am »
Bob,
I'm sure your body and your docs will work together to tell you what you can and can't do by the time August rolls around.
It will be time to take a deep breath and just let nature take its course post op.
Slow and easy, no rushing. If you race, you race,
if you don't, you'll be there to cheer em on! One way or another you will be there.
Like people said, don't want to push yourself. There are other races, but only one Bob!
But we'll cross that bridge when we get there. ;)
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

heyct

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 08:58:30 am »
Thanks for all your posts and encouragement everyone.

I will definitely still take it easy. Just the thought of a leak and a few more days in the hospital is enough to keep me takin' it easy. I already had one leak post-op in the hospital. My doc did say to start trying to push myself, cardio-wise, but no weights. I guess my excuse for not going to the gym should be nullified!

OK, Stoneaxe...you look big & burly in your pic, but I know from my windsurfing days that those boards are not light. At least think about someone helping to carry it for you!

Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

epodjn

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 09:53:56 am »
I do daycare and I'm constantly lifting children up to 45 lbs. My doctor said absolutely no lifting anything heavier than my purse for the first 6 weeks. Then I could lift up to 25lbs. until 10 weeks. After that I had no restrictions. I do know when I pushed it I got really bad headaches. It's not worth over-doing.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!