Author Topic: I'm finally back on the forum  (Read 4368 times)

Donna R

I'm finally back on the forum
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:10:24 pm »
Hi everyone!  I had my surgery, but I was having problems getting back on the board (logging in)

I went in for surgery on June 22.  They started the procedure, but, to be safe, had to discontinue due to tissue swelling problems...sooooooo. they sent me home for two weeks, and re-scheduled me for  July 9.....ugh, that was hard.

The 2nd surgery was successful, I was discharged from the hospital on the sixth day.  A couple of issues I am working on....my left eye is not blinking very well yet, and I have a facial issue on my AN side also, but they told me it should get better, as all of the nerves (besides the hearing) are intact.  Also some headaches and fatigue, but I guess that is part of it. My hearing on that side was just about gone before surgery, so I am already used to that.   

They suggested that I do some physical therapy on an outpatient basis, my walking seems very good, but maybe they can help with the facial issue. I am also scheduled to see the eye doctor at Jefferson for my eye.

So, all in all, I guess I'm not doing too bad after only being home about two weeks.  Thanks to the great doctors and staff at Jefferson, and to everyone on this board, who really helped me through this.....I guess I will be on the postie board now.

Donna R
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:39:37 pm by Donna R »

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: I'm finally back on the forum
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:41:29 pm »
Sounds like you are doing great and have a fantastic attitude!!  Wow, to be ready for surgery and then get sent home for two weeks.  That had to be hard.  I will keep you in my prayers and hopefully, someone who had the blinking problem will chime in and give some pointers.  No eye problems for me, just balance and migraines!
Take care and remember not to push yourself too hard or tow fast, get plenty of rest and let others do the heavy stuff.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

doinoc

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:10:54 pm »
I was wondering what happened to you!!.  I kept checking to see how your surgery went.   I have been extra interested in your case.  You mentioned the drs at Jefferson.  You were happy with them?  I have an app with Dr. Evans on monday and will be scheduling surgery with Willcox and Evans hopefully the end of Sept beginning of Oct.  What kind of swelling did you have?  Did they start surgery and stop? bummer, but good to know the drs stop if something isn't right.  I'll be keeping you in my prayers for complete recovery of your issues.  Stay strong.  Did you have any eye issues before surgery like twitching?  God Bless over you
Debbie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:16:32 pm »
Donna .....

It was good to read your first "postie" post!!  So sorry your original surgery could not be completed ..... but glad your surgery is now finally a thing of the past.  Now it is on to dealing with the recovery phase of this journey.  It sounds like considering the size of your AN and the surgery delay, you are doing very well.  Hopefully the headaches will soon let up.  The fatigue is an ongoing issue with many of us.  You are relatively new post-op so listen to your body and rest whenever the fatigue hits ..... as much as you possibly can.  It really helps in the long run.  Many people have found that walking helps not only your balance, but headaches, as well.  So, rest, walk, rest, etc.

Others will have better thoughts on the eye/facial things but I pray they will be a thing of the past soon.

My thoughts and prayers.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Keri

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:13:23 pm »
Hi Donna,
It's good to hear from you.
I've got problems blinking too. It was much worse though several weeks post op. I'm now 6 months post and am much better.
Yes, I know it's hard to read and do a lot of research when your eye is messed up, but check out the eye issues section.
Keeping your eye lubed and moist is the key. The drops they gave me at the hospital didn't work. I use Refresh PM ointment at first. Now I use the drops that are in the little vials. They don't make vision as blurry and keep your eyes moist. OK...i need to go find the name.... Refresh Celluvisc.
Hope you continue improving. Keep us posted.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 02:33:21 pm »
Hi, Donna!

Like so many others, I'm very pleased to see you here as a 'postie' (post-op AN patient).  

The 'false start' to your AN surgery certainly must have been difficult to deal with, but you did and now, you're done! I'm pleased to learn that you're doing well.  The headache and fatigue are fairly normal although each patient has a slightly different experience.  From what your doctors stated, I'm confident your eye and facial issues will eventually resolve.  Meanwhile the walking exercises and consultation with a ophthalmologist should bring some relief for those problems.  

Thanks for the positive update - and may your recovery continue apace!  :)

Jim  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:00:46 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Donna R

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:59:54 pm »
Thank you everyone.....

Debbie, how did your appointment go with Dr. Evans?

--Donna

doinoc

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 08:50:13 pm »
How are you feeling, Donna?  Been keeping you in my prayers.  My  app with Dr Evans is this coming Monday.  I'll let you know how it goes. SO glad to hear you're doing well.  Stay strong and keep the faith.  talk to you soon
Deb

Donna R

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 01:50:08 am »
Hi Debbie,

Oh, okay, it's this  Monday........I will be thinking of you....I wasn't sure if you got my message.  I saw Dr. Evans this week for post-op, they removed the stitches.....I have an appt. with Dr. Wilcox next week, and also with the eye doctor at Jefferson.  I think right now the eye thing and a few headaches annoy me the most, but they say it should get better, I hope, I have been keeping my eye moist with the drops.....

I have been very pleased with the doctors....let me know how your appt. goes......you stay strong and keep the faith too!!

Take care!

--Donna

Donna R

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 01:52:43 am »
Keri,

Thank you for the advice on the eye drops...I found the ones you told me about, and I really like them better than what I was using!

Thanks again!

--Donna

followingHim

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 03:19:17 am »
Hello Donna and welcome!

I am really pleased you are doing so well.  Don't forget to fit some rest into your schedule!

Blessings

Ley