Author Topic: BAHA v. Transear  (Read 3256 times)

Heresrose

BAHA v. Transear
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:54:10 pm »
I will have my translab surgery at the end of the month and am planning on getting the BAHA installed at the same time. I am questioning whether I should go with the BAHA versus just getting a hearing aid later on. Any opinions, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rose
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:27:16 pm by Heresrose »
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA v. Hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:06:24 pm »
Hi Rose .....

If you are having a translab surgery, you will lose all hearing in your AN ear so a normal hearing aid would be useless post-op.  There are transear devices and the SoundBite for SSD patients.  The transear requires devices worn in both ears and the SoundBite requires a dental hearing appliance in the mouth.

I put my Ponto on first thing after showering/hair washing in the morning and never think about it again, unless I want to change the setting for music listening.  No pain, no ache, no devices in my ears or mouth.  Absolutely love it!

Just my two cents.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Heresrose

Re: BAHA v. Hearing aid
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:26:32 pm »
Thanks for clarifying, Clarice.

Rose
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: BAHA v. Transear
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:01:20 pm »
All a hearing aid will do for you in increase the background noise which is just what you don't want.  I agree with Clarice, it will not benefit you.  I'd go the route of one of the BAHAs, either Cochlear or Oticon.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:07:51 am »
I have a Transear (which requires a device worn in one ear) and I am happy with my decision.  However, I was not aware of the BAHA option at the time of my initial surgery and it was not an option later because of other complications.  Also, my insurance would not cover it.  Most here seem very happy with the BAHA.  A few have had difficulty with the abutment site not healing properly, but even those have seemed to resolve their problems. 
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:25 am »
Thanks for correcting the misinformation about a transear (see http://www.transear.com/).  Sorry for confusing it with the Cros hearing aids (see http://unitron.com/content/unitron/au/en/consumer/hearing_aids-c/products/tandem/overview.html)

It is wonderful that we live in an age with more than one choice for hearing assistance.  We've come a long way from the hearing trumpet!!   :o

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 05:30:50 pm »
My opinion, BAHA.

I didn't get the implant at the time of my AN surgery, my doc doesn't combine AN and BAHA surgeries (some docs do, some docs don't).

I first tried the demo 4 months post op and was highly impressed.  Couldn't wait to get one.  My insurance company  dragged their feet about covering it, so it was 5 months later that I finally had the implant surgery.

Today, more than 3 1/2 years later I've never regretted getting a BAHA.

If you decide that the BAHA isn't for you, the TransEar is a great option.  Most who are SSD can't use a conventional hearing aid.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways