Author Topic: Amazing Article  (Read 2183 times)

Kaybo

Amazing Article
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:14:33 pm »
This is an amazing article and videos (2).  I guess it is kind of a little blip for the Mayo clinic, but just too good not to share!
Enjoy! ;D
http://sharing.mayoclinic.org/2009/04/23/a-bite-of-life/

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

suboo73

Re: Amazing Article
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:26:55 am »
K,  Thank you for posting that link.  What beautiful stories!
As one commentator wrote, i too hope these miracles continue even with changes in our healthcare system.
(I am VERY skeptical of this....)
What a wonderful place, the Mayo Clinic!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:53:26 am »
Thanks for sharing this wonderful article and videos describing the great work being done at Mayo Clinic.  My husband's sister and her husband both credit his survival with miracles performed at Mayo.

As musicians, we both can identify with the healing power of music.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:58:26 am »
Lovely - and amazing - article, Kaybo!

Thanks for sharing  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:07:38 pm »
Kay,

that is a great article!  That couple is adorable and that woman is amazing - to have gone through so much and to still have raised wonderful kids says a lot!

Thanks!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:33:53 pm »
Kaybo ~

Good find!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Very poignant -and even if it is a 'commercial' (of sorts) for the Mayo Clinic, it is true. 

So many people lead lives of pain and frustration every day - often for years, decades and even a lifetime.  Many do so stoically - out of the spotlight and with no real expectation of remediation  It's just their life.  Meanwhile, they work, raise families and contribute to society however they can.  These folks are truly the core of our society.  Occasionally, we learn of one of these people, like Sharon Hume, the lady featured in the article, written by her daughter, Jodi.  Over the years, she underwent numerous surgeries, some disfigurement, much pain, discomfort and inconvenience.  Finally, later in life, she has finally found relief from a surgical procedure at the famed Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.   It is fitting that Sharon Hume's story should be told and the Mayo Clinic be recognized for their part in that inspiring story on their website.  I'm sure Mrs. Hume is modest enough to not think she is special.  She would be mistaken to assume that. 

These kinds of stories are not only moving and inspiring but for post-op/post-radiation AN patients, they open a window to what others have to deal with and so, without ever minimizing the AN patient's travails, which are real and sometimes near-intractable, it gives them hope and the knowledge that even the most difficult and challenging AN-related problems may someday be successfully dealt with.   It also reminds us that most adult children love their parents unequivocally and will do whatever is necessary to help them.  Then, later, to celebrate the parent's relief from their longstanding medical problem.  Fortunately, thanks to the internet, we get to learn about these folks.   This is one of those times.  :) 

Thanks again, K.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 03:07:33 pm »
K

all I can say is WOW! Very inspiring! even after all the years of struggle she had endured..... and to see the picture proof of a chicken sandwich, with a long overdue smile.... touching... truly moving.....

Thank you K!  :-*  :-*  :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:09:35 pm »
Heartwarming K,  thanks ! 
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:18:14 am »
K -
Thanks for posting this great article!  I love reading stories like this -- it's food for the soul.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!