Author Topic: surgery was a success  (Read 4558 times)

marjoryb

surgery was a success
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:18 am »
I had surgery at Johns Hopkins on 7/7 and all went well.  The neurosureon was awesome!    I lost hearing but the monitors indicated activity so maybe it will return.  I have facial paralysis but am told it is temporary ; I already have more feeling and movement than when I first came home from the hospital.   Getting comfortable at night to sleep is still difficult; drinking out of a cup is sloppy but I'm learning; walking and balance improves daily.      I feel fortunate.

Marjory

Jeanlea

Re: surgery was a success
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 10:25:31 am »
Hey Marjory,

Hooray for you.  I'm glad that all went well with your surgery and that you are feeling better every day.  I remember having a hard time sleeping at night, too.  I made a little "nest" with pillows propping me up a bit and that seemed to help.  For drinking I used a straw in the beginning.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 11:26:53 am »
Marjory,
  Congratulations on your successful treatment.  Many of us here on the forum have gone through the recovery process, and remember the 2 week mark.  Glad to hear that things are improving, and you're making steady progress.  The best part is that surgery is over with, and it only gets better from here.  Finding a comfortable position to sleep in will get better as things heal.  Some of the threads on this forum have suggested trying out different pillows until you find one that is most confortable to you.  A forum search on "pillow" will bring up some brand names that several people have liked.
Regards,
 Rob
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:35:24 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 11:34:02 am »
Congrats, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!  Terrific news! Sending amethyst (healing) huggles to you Marjory for continued speedy recovery!  Please remember not to overpush yourself...

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 06:15:25 pm »
Hi Marjory:

What good news!!  I had been wondering about you.  I remember how confused you were a month ago.  The "what should I do" feelings can be so overwhelming.  I am glad you trusted your gut feeling because IT IS OVER!!

It sure sounds like your post-op is on the very good side of normal.  The drinking thing will come around gradually as will everything else.

Take it easy and best of luck to you,  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:50:26 pm »
Hi Marjory,  I had a 2cm tumor removed in December.  By three months you will be sooo much different than you are today.  I slept in a lounger chair on the worst nights.  I always stayed on my back in the bed.  In fact at 5 months I was then able to roll to the op side.  Glad to hear your celebration news.

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 07:16:05 pm »
A friend of mine made me a pillow.  It was so nice and soft.  It was the only one I used for about the first 3 months.  My head was tender on the surgery side.  Didn't think that I would ever be able to sleep on that side.  Now I do it all the time.
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

luv2teachsped

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 07:50:53 pm »
Hi Marjory!

I too am glad to hear you are doing so well. PLea.........se be kind to your self and give your self a lot of time to heal.  Be patient and have faith and in another year , like many of us, you won't believe all that you went through. Chin up!
luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Raydean

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 08:59:16 pm »
Marjory

Wishing all things positive and good!  I'm so glad that everything is going so well and will continue to get better and better.  Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated on your progress.

Big Hugs!!
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

amymeri

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 06:18:14 pm »
Congratulations! ;D

Hang in there...a soft, soft pillow helps a lot and so does sunshine and fresh air.  I found I slept better if I sat outside some everyday...maybe its a biorhythm thing...but the softest pillow you can find...coupled with some supportive pillows to prop up with make a BIG difference!

About the facial paralysis...buy some STRAWS...its all I use to drink out of and it helps immensely!

You are on your way!  Good luck with your continued healing.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 05:06:37 pm »
Yeah Marjory!  Sounds like you're on your way!  I agree with the straws and the pillows!  I couldn't lay on my surgery side comfortably for months and am able to now..never thought I would again!

Get plenty of rest!
Avoid Stress!
And hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery....vrrmmmmm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:03:56 pm »
I had surgery at Johns Hopkins on 7/7 and all went well.  The neurosureon was awesome!  I lost hearing but the monitors indicated activity so maybe it will return.  I have facial paralysis but am told it is temporary ; I already have more feeling and movement than when I first came home from the hospital.   Getting comfortable at night to sleep is still difficult; drinking out of a cup is sloppy but I'm learning; walking and balance improves daily.      I feel fortunate.

Marjory

In a way, you are fortunate.  No complications during surgery and you appear to be on the road to a solid recovery.  Congratulations!   I hope at least some or all of your hearing eventually returns.  We need to read about the good AN surgery outcomes as well as the not-so-great outcomes, which we can all relate to and have compassion for.  Indeed, for those of us who have experienced rapid recoveries from AN surgery, we are fortunate. 

Time passes quickly and I found that after about two weeks, all the hospital drugs and the anesthesia ingested during the lengthy AN surgery wore off, the resting paid off and I 'suddenly' started feeling better.  Within a week I was walking 2 miles a day  - trying to regain my balance...which I did....and within two more weeks I was driving again and generally resuming my normal life    I'm retired, so returning to work was not an issue.  Had  I still been working, I probably would have went back part-time within three or four weeks, post-op.  In any case, we all wish you well as your recovery continues apace.  :)
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.