Author Topic: What to expect post op?  (Read 4116 times)

Willbur

• I will shrink it
What to expect post op?
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:47 pm »
Hi Group,

Just cruising through the forums checking countless amounts of posts from present and the past. Having my translab surgery next Tuesday and was wondering what kind of symptoms or side effects I can expect from it? My boss mentioned he would let me work from home during my recovery phase and I was wondering if this is possible? I'm going to be burning up 2 weeks of vacation (all I have left) and the rest would be unpaid technically, but he offered to do this for me so I can keep getting paid. Will I be able to function within that time frame?
Diagnosed@29
10/13/16 - 21x23x19
1/16/17 - 22x23x19
1/24 - Surgery Successful
3/6 - MRI/CT Scan No Regrowth

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Re: What to expect post op?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:40:53 pm »
Everyone's case is different, of course, but I had retro-sigmoid surgery 5 weeks ago, and i could definitely have worked from home two weeks (or even less) after my surgery.  I'm assuming you'll be sitting in front of a computer and not doing anything physical, of course.  Working from home means you can stop after a few hours and rest, the work again, then rest.  You may not even have to rest!  Supposedly retro-sigmoid is more difficult than trans-lab, and I'm much older than you, so your prospects are even better than mine. 

But again, everyone's different and every tumor is different, so this question is best asked of your doctor.

Sharon

UpstateNY

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:19:32 pm »
Wilbur,
As already stated, everyone's case is different.  Typically, the smaller the tumor the shorter the recovery, but no guarantees.   How much of your balance has been compensated for prior to surgery seems to have the most significant impact on the recovery. 

My tumor was < 1.5cm and I was told to prepare for an 8 week recovery.  Much to my surprise, I ended up with no balance issues and was answering emails and joining conference calls (using my good ear) from Seton Hall the day after I was released from the hospital. 

I would suggest you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

Willbur

• I will shrink it
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 09:43:55 pm »
Wilbur,
As already stated, everyone's case is different.  Typically, the smaller the tumor the shorter the recovery, but no guarantees.   How much of your balance has been compensated for prior to surgery seems to have the most significant impact on the recovery. 

My tumor was < 1.5cm and I was told to prepare for an 8 week recovery.  Much to my surprise, I ended up with no balance issues and was answering emails and joining conference calls (using my good ear) from Seton Hall the day after I was released from the hospital. 

I would suggest you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Cool. Thanks for info.
Diagnosed@29
10/13/16 - 21x23x19
1/16/17 - 22x23x19

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:28:38 am »
Wiilbur.....THAT's TODAY ! Good luck and speedy recovery.
It's hard to say where you'll be in two weeks in terms of being able to work....depends on what "losses " occur with the surgery, the type of work you do....everyone is individual.
I was home from work for 3 months after my first tumor removed translab, I lost 7 to 12th cranial nerves on the left side with this so had to cope with ALL the things that could happen (well almost), loss of facial nerve function, dry eye, loss of balance/vertigo, difficultly eating/swallowing, speech difficulty etc etc and given that I am a nurse on a very active in-patient unit I was off a long time.
Just take it as it comes.
My doctor told me "this didn't go over night and your not going to recover over-night, be patient !"
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

ccooper

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 11:05:59 pm »
I hope your surgery went well. I had a large (+3CM ) removed a year ago. The first surgery I started working from home after week two. Probably four hours a day and full time at four weeks. The second surgery (very unusual circumstances) I was back to work at 3 weeks full time. But I took recovery very seriously with lots of walking, PT, healthy eating, sleep, tons of positive thinking. To me work is a great part of recovery...if you like your job. I was back to using my brain, feeling like a normal human, contributing, all from the comfort of my home until I was ready to go back. Very fortune and you sound like your in the same situation. Best of luck. Keep in touch.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

mroker

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:29:57 am »
I had a 3cm with translab surgery. Everyone is different but for me I could have worked 2 weeks out if I wanted. However, I got eight weeks off and I took it because it was with pay. Also, that working would have assumed it wasn't for 8 straight hours without breaks. My major problem with working would have been my eye because I have extreme dry eye from the surgery and from that being numb. In terms of energy and just straight up feeling well I was fine. Just be sure to take walks, don't push yourself too hard and give yourself breaks.
3.0cm x 3.0cm x 3.0cm
Translab by Dr. Slattery & Dr. Schwartz HEI 11/8/16
Can move face fine but numbness currently.

Willbur

• I will shrink it
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:11:40 am »
I was out for about 4 weeks in total. The first few weeks were hell to get through. I don't know how some people went back to work so quickly. I'm about 1.5 months post surgery and still have drunk feeling. Trying to get back into the gym and work out, but I get tired quickly.
Diagnosed@29
10/13/16 - 21x23x19
1/16/17 - 22x23x19