Author Topic: Eye still not blinking  (Read 7332 times)

Stephanie

Eye still not blinking
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:56:38 pm »
I had total facial parylisis on my left side after my surgery. After about 4 mo. I started getting slight movement. Since then it has continued to progress (very slowly) mostly in my cheek and mouth area but I do have some movement around my eye. I still cant raise my eybrow, smile normal or close my eye quickly when the dr. tells me to (it closes very slowly and only after it rolls upwards). How long after seeing facial movement did your eye start blinking? I know every case is different but I was just trying to figure out if the blinking generally takes longer. For those of you who can blink that eye, did you notice if that took longer to recover then everything else?
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Eye still not blinking
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:16:58 pm »
Stephanie, it was four months before my cornea stopped looking "beat-up and crappy" (those are the technical terms the ophtha used. It was probably another three months before it started blinking spontaneously.

Be patient and take good care of your eye. The body has its own schedule, and tends to keep it a secret.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Angel-1

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:45 pm »
Hi Stephanie,

I'm 8 months post op and still no blinking.  My facial movement sounds a lot like yours.  I can't smile completely, left side of lip pulling up slightly.  I came home with the left side of face completely drooped.  It has improved so much, but has so much more to go.  I'm going to facial pt and doing my exercises and massage.  I'm getting a little nervous with the 1 year mark coming soon.  I'm still doing eye drops during the day and refresh pm at night with a moisture chamber.  I'm so tired of using a straw and not being able to chew on the left side.  If food gets on that side it tastes different.  I'm thankful its moving and hoping for it to continue to heal.  I pray that yours will continue to heal.

Angela
Tanslab on 7/8/2010
Total tumor removal
SSD, facial weakness (but facial nerve still intact),
balance issues getting better
Duke University, Dr. David Kaylie, Dr. Allan Friedman & Dr. Fukushima

Stephanie

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 04:18:01 pm »
Hi Angela,

I am so glad you said that about the food tasting different on the other side. I said that to my husband and I think he thought I was crazy! I don't have facial PT but I am going to ask my doctor about it on the next visit (April), I do try to massage it when I can because it seems to help. I have been very fortunate with my eye staying lubricated on its own. I have only needed drops maybe twice in the last month. I used them a lot the first 5 months or so.

I think Tod's comment was right on, our body has it's own schedule. I just wish mine would hurry it up! It should know how impatient I am : )

Stephanie
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:27:48 pm »
Taste can definitely be affected. In different ways. 13 months out and I still cannot taste much of anything sweet. It is hell for someone with a sweet tooth.

On the other hand, I am learning to appreciate a wider variety of tastes before that were always overwhelmed by sugars.  Despite the challenges, none of the experiences I have had have been all bad.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

deheisel11

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:58:56 am »
Stephanie,
I also had complete paralysis on the right side after my translab.  The timing of movement coming back is exactly like your.  I am currently at 10 months post op.  My eye started slight movement at 9 months and as I am typing this my eye blinks on its own and I can blink my right eye without blinking my left eye.  However, my eyelid still droops.  However, I have a gold weight in the eyelid.  I hope you continue to progress  with your movements.  Best wishes. 
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

kkl

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 07:51:29 am »
Stephanie,

My left eye started to move about 2 months ago but it still closes more slowly.  Now, it seems to more in sync with the other side.  I still do my eye drops from time to time though to protect it from dryness.  Have you tried accupuncture? I found it quite helpful, together with facial massage and exercise.  I guess am glad that my face is getting back to more normal now....more wrinkles are back!  Guess we just need to be more patient.

Susie

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »
Stephanie,
I also have facial paralysis and I couldn't blink my eye. I used an external eye weight called BLINKEZE. You can go to their website, but my facial therapist helped me with the sizing. The weight helped me blink and also helped with strengthening my blink.
I don't need the weight now, but I still need eye ointment at night.
Susan
Gamma Knife 6/2007
Right sided facial paralysis 9/2007
Right sided deafness
Oticon Ponto Pro Power 9/2011
Appt at MEEI 10/2011
Psalm 121

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:16:12 pm »
Hi Stephenie:  Sounds like things are progressing... so glad you started getting tone, etc., back at 4 months.
You're about 8 months out, the hardest thing to do now is be PATIENT, let your face continue to heal.
 At this point the most important thing is keeping your eye LUBRICATED at all times !!!
I use Refresh PM exclusively, & with total paralysis for 5 years,  I've found that lubricating is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to do.
Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis