Author Topic: Hereditary???  (Read 1933 times)

AZ JB

Hereditary???
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »
Hi,  My husband was diagnosed a week ago today with AN.  We're feeling a little calmer about it now as we become more informed about different treatments, recommended doctors & facilities, questions to ask, etc.  Today though, I remembered that our oldest son (now 36) was determined to have a hearing loss to high frequencies when he was in 5th grade & again in 6th grade.  The audiologist wasn't concerned at the time & said he would be able to function normally with it -- he didn't recommend any follow ups or further testing.  My husband's father also had severe hearing loss -- no hearing in one ear & very little in the other.....  Is it correct that AN is not hereditary, but NF2 is?  My husband's MRI only revealed the tumor in one ear; if you have NF2, would the tumors show up in both ears at the same time, or could my husband have NF2 & not be aware of it until later?  Our son doesn't have any other symptoms, but we've suggested he get his hearing checked by an audiologist.  Anyone have any information they could pass along to us, or thoughts on the possibility of this?

Judy   

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Hereditary???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:04:37 am »
Currently NF2 is hereditary and ANs are not. My parents and sister wear hearing aids, but I am the only one with  an AN. We are fortunate to live in an era when there are lots of successful treatments available. Get your husband on line so we can offer some support.

James

Archer

Re: Hereditary???
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:06:28 am »
AZ JB,
I just recently found out I am NF2.  I had an AN 10 years ago and had it remover surgically.  Initial followups were good.  Now my 10 year MRI follow up shows another tumor, this time on the other side.  Drs are saying this isn't common as they have only seen two like me.  I don't know if they were referring to my age or how long between the appearance of the tumors.  First one was at 50 years old and now at 60.

I wish I would have known then what I know now about NF2.  I may have opted for GK rather than surgery.  Now, being SSD from first surgery, my options are more limited if I need to treat this one and want to retain any hearing.  Of course hind sight is 20/20.  10 years ago they said the odds of having another AN affecting the other side were very minimal, so losing hearing on one side I thought was worth having the tumer gone.

Anyway, tumors with NF2 don't necessarily show up at the same time.  With the history in your husband's family, I would spend extra effort to determine if he is NF2 or not.  At least view it as a possibility and talk extensively about it with your Dr. 

I hope all goes well for you two as you go forward.

God Bless you!