Author Topic: Well i made it!!  (Read 10287 times)

Kaybo

Re: Well i made it!!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 04:03:16 pm »
Lori~
All I can say is that you just make me laugh - everytime i see that you have posted something, I can't wait to read it b/c it is always so funny!!!  I don't know why, but I just remembered something from last week -- I'll have to put it on my blog -- it was about part of my bandage and how I had panties on my head!!!

Also, we joked about how they would remove my staples -- Dave said he could save time & $$ & just use a staple remover from Office Max -- when we got there, Dr. Byrne laughed and said that is pretty much what they use.  He showed us the little sterile package with the tool in it!  He told me I could have the wrapper (I wanted to take a picture but forgot the camera) so I could post it!!

Gotta run!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 05:00:30 pm »
Yep Kay, when I had the twelve staples removed from my ankle (open reduction) that's what the nurse used a stapler remover.  Two weeks after surgery the skin was healing over OUCH!!!  But I am woman hear me roar.  I had 4 babies, two posterior with an induction, and two with no meds......strong like bull.  Yeah right there is no way my hubby would have had 4 if he was delivering!!!

Like Lori said everything is in little sterile packages, but I'm sure in a pinch rubbing alcohol will do the trick to sterlize a Home Depot special.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 06:14:15 pm »
Anne Marie~
You are a REAL woman!!!  I was wanting an epidural the day BEFORE they induced me -- I have babies super fast and I didn't want to miss it!!! ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 08:41:50 pm »
Wait Lori !!!  If you were a guinea pig on a new tool, don't you get royalties or something  ???

And just how old is this young doctor?  Mine is by no means old - I say that because he's only a year older than I am   ;)

BTW, maybe we could get one of those staple removers from K's doctor - couldn't hurt to have one in our tool kit  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 11:54:00 pm »
And to think that some people ask why I show so much interest in BAHA's. We've got screwdrivers, pliers, staple removers, cake string sewn into someone's head and tied with a bow, with a picture to prove it - the show never ends!

Bring it on!

Steve    ;D
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 09:40:50 am »
I know Steve, if we keep this up, everyone is going to want a BAHA - even if their hearing is perfect!

Jan, I should get some royalties.  You're right.  I was just hoping to get my name or picture in a medical book somewhere - but they'd probably change my name and put that black box over my eyes anyway.  There goes my 15 minutes of fame.  Guess I have to try something else.  Oh well, how often can you say you taught a brain surgeon something he didn't know?  And just because i was asleep at the time doesn't matter.

My doctor was 38 at the time of my surgery.  I almost fell over when I read through his credentials and saw that he graduated from high school after I did.  Once I met him though, I felt completely comfortable with him and figured his hands probably weren't too shaky yet and he probably wouldn't have to double up on his Geritol the day of my surgery to stay awake the whole time.

We were at an appointment with him right before my surgery and my husband started asking him some technical questions about nerves and such.  So the two of them were talking about electricity and blah, blah, blah.. things I don't understand...I felt like I was at a tennis match in between the two of them, who apparently forgot I was there.  I finally said "I'm stuck in a room with a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist (my husband is a nuclear engineer).  How fun for me - can I have the anaesthesia now please?".  Like I said, he's got a good sense of humor!

Annmarie, thank you for reminding me I need to get some rubbing alcohol.. a friend of my oldest daughter cut his hand and got stitches and he doesn't want to go back to the doctor to have them out, so he asked me to do it.  Looks like this garage medical office is getting it's first customer!  There's a sucker born every minute!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 10:12:52 pm »

Annmarie, thank you for reminding me I need to get some rubbing alcohol.. a friend of my oldest daughter cut his hand and got stitches and he doesn't want to go back to the doctor to have them out, so he asked me to do it.  Looks like this garage medical office is getting it's first customer!  There's a sucker born every minute!

Since you probably already have screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, balls of string, and stapling equipment in your garage, you should be all set!  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 10:20:14 pm »
Steve, my husband is the original "Tim, the Tool Man Taylor", so you'd be amazed at the stuff in my garage.  Of course everything needs to have more power around here!  I usually try to hold off on any household projects until he's out to sea (he's in the Navy) and then i can hire a professional to do whatever I need done.  And I have also come to the conclusion that if it's not nuclear powered, he probably shouldn't touch it.  How can a person run a nuclear reactor but not know how to set an alarm clock???   ???

By the way, the stitches came out just fine.  It didn't hurt me a bit!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.