Author Topic: 2 years last month..  (Read 2850 times)

Greengiant71

2 years last month..
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:18 pm »
Hello everyone ,

Its been a long time since I have visited, a lot has happened in between that time.  I was medically retired from the military in March of 2010, and I've been going to college full time now.  I do have some issues I just can't wrap my head around. lol.  Since surgery I have had the issue of being tired a lot (stamina), I could sleep all day sometimes.  I've gained substantial weight now and am working on losing it just a matter of time, when i am not in school :)  I've had several blood tests done and none have shown that there is anything wrong with my sugar level so I have no idea where this tiredness comes from.  There are days where i have no energy at all and need to just rest at home because my body doesn't want to move at all.  I figure its time to talk to some one that knows something and can help me more. 

Sad enough to say the VA clinic I go to isn't much help :(
I still have balance issues, and headaches..   I don't think that will ever go away sadly.   
PFC Green Cliff 2-25 AVN  DVN

Diagnosed:  Jan 2009 , Translab surgery 28 Apr 09.

cin605

Re: 2 years last month..
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:11:56 pm »
I hear ya....in my left ear...but can not really tell where you are... ;D
I am 2 1/2 years out ditto in you symptoms.
No fun missing the fun!
Hang in and get the rest that you need i ts gotta be part of the whole healing process that no one seems to know when or if it ever ends....things come and things go..then they come back,
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:49:53 pm »
Hi, Cliff ~

It's good to see you posting again but I'm sorry to learn about your lack of stamina, weight gain and ongoing headaches and balance issues.

I also noticed a lack of stamina following my AN surgery and radiation but I was 63 at the time of my AN experience and assumed this was a big factor in my loss of vigor.  I still think it is but I'm sure the trauma of the 9-hour operation inside my skull (and subsequent FSR) played some part in my loss of stamina.  I'm fairly active but cannot lift the kinds of heavy things I used to be able to lift and too much activity, even just socializing, especially at night, is tiring.  This is not a big problem and I've learned to try and do anything 'physical' in the earlier part of the day when I'm at my most energetic.   I was fortunate enough not to suffer a big balance deficit (my balance is about 80% of what was once normal for me).  I lost 30+ pounds due to the AN pushing on the trigeminal nerve and killing my sense of taste (and appetite) in the months prior to my AN diagnosis.  I changed my eating habits and have been able to retain a healthy weight in the years since.  Eating smaller portions and cutting out 'junk' food was a big help.  Being relatively active is also important, but, due to your fatigue, that is going to be problematic for you - so changing your diet is likely the best route to reaching a healthy weight.   I wish you success with that goal and, of course, a resolution for your other AN-related issues.  Thanks for checking back in with us.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:21 pm »
Hi Cliff,

I just thought I'd put my two cents in regarding your fatigue.  Although there are many things that cause fatigue, if you are having a lot of balance issues, that might account for you being tired much of the time.  We take out sense of balance for granted until it's not what it should be, but with the loss of one vestibular (balance) nerve, your brain has to work that much harder to try to keep you balanced and that can cause fatigue.  Have you gone for vestibular rehab?  If not, it might you might find it worthwhile.  Some people here have also used WII Fit and swear by it and T'ai Chi is supposed to be very good for improving your balance as well.  I hope this helps.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »
I had the same problem. No doctor could find anything wrong with me. I was started on an antidepressant and within about 8 weeks I felt like a new person. I guess I was depressed..when I just thought I was tired all the time. I was so consumed with the tumor, post op etc..
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

OTO

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:03:21 pm »
Greengiant71

Look for some posts by "GM".  He is retired AF.  Maybe he can give you some guidance on followup care by VA or Tricare or?   Also there is Chris75 in the micro-surgery forum.   He is an enlisted solider in Hawaii going to Tripler.  He is trying to decide if he should have surgery at Madigan.   Maybe you can send him a personal message and share stories....  might help....

kenneth_k

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:54:07 am »
Hi Cliff.

Sorry to hear that you experience that many post op problems. It can be hard work to go to school with reduced hearing.
I wish you good luck on recovery.

Kenneth