Author Topic: Starting the Transear process  (Read 6905 times)

Cynaburst

Re: Starting the Transear process
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 10:14:45 pm »
Wait until you hear one of your kids whisper something in your ear.  You will be so happy.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 10:12:59 am »
Had my appt this morning with another audiologist, this one up in southern NH.  She was wonderful!!!  Said I'm a perfect candidate for TransEar and did the mold on the spot.  I'll be her 5th TransEar patient - she's only had 1 returned, and he was a marginal candidate who had other issues as well.  We're waiting until January to place the official order so it can be submitted under next year's health savings account, but I'm just thrilled to pieces!!

;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Catflower

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 12:30:15 pm »
I had my 7th month hearing test last week and will be starting the Trans Ear process January 11

Linda in WV

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 12:38:03 pm »
I should be getting a call this week or so that it's ready!  I'm so excited for you Katie!!!  way to go!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Boppie

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 12:48:25 pm »
That is wonderful news, Katie.  Glad you found an audiologist who listens well! ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 12:50:32 pm »
Katie,

I am tickled to hear this! Great news and keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out! :)

Happy holidays to you, that terrific spouse of your's and the boys.  BTW, tell Jonah he gets to read me a book next time I see him since I read him the last one! :)

Happy hoiidays from me and the bloke.

Phyl

Had my appt this morning with another audiologist, this one up in southern NH.  She was wonderful!!!  Said I'm a perfect candidate for TransEar and did the mold on the spot.  I'll be her 5th TransEar patient - she's only had 1 returned, and he was a marginal candidate who had other issues as well.  We're waiting until January to place the official order so it can be submitted under next year's health savings account, but I'm just thrilled to pieces!!

;D

Katie
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 04:18:50 pm »
Thanks, everyone!  I'm still stoked!   ;D

Kathleen - can't wait to "hear" what you think of yours!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

jerseygirl

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 10:58:33 am »
Hi, everyone,

I am also starting the Transear process with an audiologist next Tuesday. I sincerely hope it will work for me. The audiologist is relatively experienced in Transear, is in NYC, and charges me $2700. The other one wanted to charge me $3300. I will let everybody know how it goes.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

krbonner

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 11:15:05 am »
Good for you, Eve!

I'll be paying $2900 - $2300 for the device itself, and $600 for the various services of the audiologist (including follow-up visits and batteries for 1 year).

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

okiesandy

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 11:23:44 am »
I wish you well with the Transear. I have tried since Nov. 2006. Due to having remakes, repairs, broken wires I am still trying to get this thing to work. The last remake had to be sanded down. By the time the sanding was done my ear was so sore I couldn't even get it in.

I don't know what the solution is to this whole picture. Sort of disappointed. Well, not sort of, I am dissapointed. I really don't know if it is the audiologist, the fitting or the product. My audiologist is more than willing to go the extra mile and has been very positive from the first.

If I the Transear up enough to get gain it squeeks and squalls, everyone can hear it. I haven't given up yet. However, I am close. Baha is not a option for me so can't do that.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

jerseygirl

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 07:13:59 pm »
Hi,

I had an appointment with an audiologist today regarding the Transear. He took the mold to send to the Transear but he asked me to keep an open mind because there is another product available on the market. It is CROSS hearing aid, the only wireless one on the market and it does not fully occlude the good ear, only half way. It uses FM radio waves and therefore its drawback is that it picks up radio sometimes. It has only been available recently, like a few years. All the other CROSSes have wires. Great for social occasions, I suppose!  ;D Why didn;t I want one back in 1988 when there were more wires and they were more noticeable?  ;D It also costs less than the Transear $1600 vs $2700. Anybody heard about it or tried it? Does it work?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

krbonner

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »
I picked up my Transear yesterday morning, and I've been wearing it for two solid days now.  It's very comfortable.  No sore spots or anything!  Very impressed by the fit. 

I'm not sure I really notice a difference (I've mostly just been at home with the kids), but the audiologist also warned me that she was keeping it turned down somewhat low for a couple weeks until I get used to it.  It is working (I can feel a slight tickle of vibration with loud, hard sounds) but I find I'm keeping the volume turned all the way up. 

I did experiment a little - I can definitely hear something if I block my good ear now and if I turned my iPod all the way up and put the earbud against the Transear (and nothing in the good ear) I could hear the music quite clearly if softly.  That was surprising!

I'm thinking I need it turned up a bit more when I go back to the audiologist.  But my first real test of a big, chaotic, noisy environment will be tomorrow night for the Winter Festival at my son's school.  We'll see what I think then!   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

Leftie

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 10:31:45 am »
I have been wearing my Transear for 5 days now and last night was the first time at a dinner, seated, with 18 other people and I heard sooo much better.  I tested it at the table by taking it out, and then placing it back in .  I did notice the difference.  I go back to the audiologist on Monday and I think I need a slight modification to the fit.
2.5cm acoustic neuroma removed using middle fossa approach June 2002 by Dr. Brackmann at the House Clinic in LA.
Facial paralysis resolved to facial weakness.
Also have a benign meningioma (calcified) - no treatment required, just follow-up scans.
Received Transear Feb. 25, 2008.

krbonner

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 07:55:16 am »
I have a pretty severe head cold right now, and the hearing in my good ear is somewhat muffled.  But I've been wearing my TransEar and there's actually a noticeable difference!  I'm finding it very helpful right now! 

Just wanted to pass along the observation...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005