Author Topic: Surgery Complete!  (Read 4415 times)

usa2010

Surgery Complete!
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:49:25 pm »
I am 72 hours post-op and I am sitting on my couch relaxing! The surgery was completed at the University of Cincinnati but Dr. John Tew and Dr. Myles Pensak. There aren't enough words to express my gratitude to this 1st class duo. I had the suboccipital approach and it was completed in just over 5 hours. Initially, I had hearing in the ear, but shortly after surgery it was gone. I am currently on steroids and am hoping that it finds its way back. I have no facial paralysis, which was something I had spent quite some time worrying about. As I think back over this journey- I think the wait and anxiety before the surgery were worse than the actual procedure! I am still unsteady on my feet but think that I am most surprised by the lack of head pain. I expected the incision to hurt like heck. My neck was really stiff at the 24 hour mark but that has greatly improved. There is no tinnitus right now- but there is also no hearing- for now! I am still hopeful--

This board provided so much support for my wife and I - reading posts and trying to normalize our experience! Thank you for that.

Retrosigmoid 1/26/2010 Dr. Tew and Pensak
No facial Paralysis. The verdict is out on the hearing.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery Complete!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »
usa2010 ~

From another AN patient who also experienced a good surgical outcome: congratulations!  :)  May your recovery be quick and complete.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:33:08 pm »
Congrats on becoming a "postie" and so great that you're already home, way to go!  I think, for me, the best part of recovery was that I could finally stop "what-iffing" myself to death and move forward.  Best wishes to you!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:45:21 pm »
Congrats and welcome to the "other side".  I too had my hearing after my surgery (I did middle fossa), and a few days later it was gone.  It took about5 weeks and all the swelling and fluids cleared out and now I can hear better than before my surgery.  So give it time, it'll come back.
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:53:04 pm »
USA~
Glad you had such a good outcome!!   ;)  Listen to your body and REST when you need to - even though you are doing great - you will probably still need some extra rest that you are not used to taking time out for!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »
USA -

I am so happy to hear that things went well for you - and even happier that I mentioned Dr. Tew to you (that's almost a tongue twister  ;) )

That's one of the many great things about the Forum, being able to share information that helps others.

Congratulations on being a postie!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 08:32:42 am »
So glad to hear everything went well but just remember relax and take it easy even if you are feeling good do not overdo it no setbacks and hopiing that your hearing returns.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

mnastasi

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:00:27 pm »
Congrats!  I am almost 2 weeks post-op.  Sounds like we have a lot in common.  I had retrosigmoid and could hear after surgery..but lost it soon after..still don't have it.  My facial nerve was also preserved.  I am like you, amazed at how good I feel so soon after surgery!!  I am still on steroids hoping that some of my hearing/ taste comes back...but am SO thankful it is over!!!  yeah!! :)

bell

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 01:01:35 pm »
Awesome, glad to hear it went so well.  Good luck in recovery, take it easy and rest.   Surgeons are amazing!!!!!!
Bell

lori67

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 01:47:04 pm »
USA -

Congratulations!  What good news!  I'm glad to hear it's over with and you can start healing.

I was surprised at the lack of pain after my surgery too.  I fully expected to feel like I'd been hit in the head with a sledgehammer when I woke up.  I was very pleasantly surprised that I didn't.

Hope the steroids do the trick on your hearing.  Get lots of rest, stay hydrated and walk when you can to help with your balance!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

usa2010

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 02:58:46 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Anissa- I could not have said it better, as it really was all the "what iffing" that was hard. I reviewed the list of possible complications more than once. Jay- you man made my day! I had to read and read again your post! I have remained hopeful that my hearing will come back but your report was icing on the cake. I am more confident than ever!

Jan- thank you again and again and again.... and again!  :)

I'll take the advice- and rest.

Mnastasi- Congrats to you, too, on  your surgery and recovery! I am hoping that we both have our hearing back in the next couple weeks! Keep me posted!

Someone posted a response to me when I was first diagnosed and told me that I had begun a journey- whether I knew it or not--- they were right.
Retrosigmoid 1/26/2010 Dr. Tew and Pensak
No facial Paralysis. The verdict is out on the hearing.

Keri

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
Hello,
I am also glad that things went well. I really hope your hearing comes back soon - glad there's hope for that.
Take care and I hope you get lots of rest and are on your way to a good recovery.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!