Author Topic: location location location?  (Read 3012 times)

calimama

location location location?
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:13:36 pm »
It seems that ANs are smaller in the IAC (lucky?). Does anyone know if med-large tumors outside the IAC (between it and the brain stem) are -generally- better treated with surgery or radiation?

I have read that location is one of the biggest factors to determine the best treatment option. Other than the skill of the surgeon (which i understand is key), are some AN locations more predictable of certain problems?     

Sorry for my ignorance but what is SSD (i have seen this in a few posts)?

Thanks everyone!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: location location location?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:24:26 pm »
I'm not sure what the answer to your location question is.  I know that location is a factor, but I don't know if it predicts certain problems.  But someone on this forum will have the answer; so just stay tuned  :)

SSD stands for single-sided deafness - I know that one because I have it  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:27:17 pm »
Calimam~
Don't feel bad -- I didn't know what SSD was either when I 1st got on here & I had experienced it for 12 years!!!  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:30:11 pm »
You know one of the things you will get used to on this forum is initials - like AN, GK, CK, SSD, BAHA, NF2, etc.

It's definitely a learning experience  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Static

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:29:21 pm »
Hi Cali,
The AN invading my head was considered med-large sized and was between the IAC and the brain stem but pressing directly on the brain stem pushing it almost in half.  My choice was to have surgery as I felt that if the tumor swelled at all from radiation (which I have read sometimes happens) it probably would not be a good thing.  The doctor I saw made the recommendation for surgery for that same reason and others, and since I just wanted it gone, I was good with that and went ahead with things.  My current major problems resulting, I feel, from the AN are SSD, major tinnitus in the bad and sometimes good ear, and balance.   Depending upon which nerve the AN is on/near is probably a good indicator of problems that will be related to the outcome.  From what I was told and tend to agree with in trying to look at the MRI's, it's very difficult to pinpoint exactly which nerves the AN is affecting until you get in there.  If you go to the following site:  http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/cn/cranial.htm , it will show you approximately where the various nerves are and what functions they control.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

calimama

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:48:43 pm »
Static:
Thanks for you reply... this is very helpful. Mine is a little smaller than yours (not often you hear people bragging like that! -- hee hee), so maybe there is some room in there for some swelling!?

What symptoms did you have before discovering your AN?

Appreciate your thoughts and glad to hear that surgery worked out for you. Did they "get it all"? Sorry i can't see your post while replying... not sure it has been since your surgery... But any sign of it returning or growing?

Was GK ruled out for you, or was it an option still?

THANKS!!!!!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.