Author Topic: Marci's (MAlgent) Surgery Update  (Read 17691 times)

LADavid

Re: Marci's (MAlgent) Surgery Update
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 05:11:53 pm »
Hey Jan
What do you think that applauding job pays?
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 07:30:25 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for love and support. I am on heavy drugs so will probably post tomorrow when I am more lucid.  At least I'm home now.  Is two days a record?
Mraci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 07:56:38 pm »
Yeah hooo!!!!   Welcome back home ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 08:30:58 pm »
Wow!  Congrats!  Home already!  Speedy recovery from here out!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »
Hey Jan
What do you think that applauding job pays?
David

Not a whole hell of a lot, David  :D  Probably won't even be enough to put fuel in the moderators' private jet.  Oh yea, that's right, they don't have one  ;)

Marci -

We've had a few posties return home incredibly fast, but 2 days might just be a new record!

Whether or not it is, we're all glad to "see" you back!  Sounds like things are going amazingly well for you.  I think I asked this earlier, but no one answered.  Am I understanding right that your hearing was saved?  Certainly hope so; I know it was a big concern of yours.

Get some rest!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieW4

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2008, 11:24:50 pm »
Hey Marci, I think 2 days is the shortest that anyone usually gets to go home.  I think a real record would be 1 day. My surgery was completed at 2:30pm on a Monday and my husband was driving me home exactly 48 hours at 2:30pm on Wednesday.  We may have to break it down to hours to know the real record.  Be forewarned that I can be very competitive.  ;) ;D

I'm just glad you are home because you now will be able to rest.  Hey don't forget to post pics.  We love to see head incisions and belly incisions.   :)

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 05:07:21 am »
Very glad you're home and I pray your pain levels continue to drop with each passing day.  Until then I do hope your meds are taking most of the pain away!  There's no place like home!  May you have continued healing and are on the fast track to welllness!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

MAlegant

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2008, 05:28:35 am »
Hi all,
No hearing loss yet and no facial nerve damage.  My biggest complaint is that my neck is terribly stiff and it seems to be worse at night.  Could not find a comfortable position but Brian is taking good care of me.  The right side of my face is still so numb we'll just have to wait see.  I pretty happy with the pain meds but it's taking a long to write email.  I tried writing one last night to all of you but it took me so long my session is timed out.  :D

I do have to agree that waiting is the worst part so I 'm relieved it's over.  Could not have asked for a better team of surgeons.

Until later...
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2008, 05:37:18 am »
*runs in... gives Marci BIG HEALING HUGGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........ runs back out!*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kathleen5306

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2008, 06:14:58 am »
Marci

I am so happy for you!  It sounds like you have done beautifully and are on the road to recovery.  It encourages me to hear that the worst part is the waiting, which is where I am right now.  Five days and counting til surgery.  You have been an inspiration to me and a calming influence.

All the best in your continued good health.

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2008, 06:30:31 am »
Hey Marci-

I am SOOOOO happy you are home!  Yes, you and Julie have definitely set a new land-speed record for getting out of the hopspital after brain surgery.  I think as long as you can walk and eat, you are better off healing at home ... just one woman's humble opinion.

One thing I didn't ask Brian was how long your surgry was?

The stiff neck ... yes, that's a big one.  You might want to try a hot compress.  I actaully have a microwavable cloth covered compress that gives off wonderful moist heat.  I am still using it and it works great for temporary relief.  Massage also helps.  And time...

Again, Marci, so glad you are back with us again.  Take good care of yourself.  Wendy is probably heading into the OR as we speak...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2008, 07:56:50 am »
Hi Debbi
We think surgery was about 4 and a half hours long. Which I understand to be pretty short given the procedure. And for those who wanted to know, they a did a retrosigmoid procedure.  I have a zipper-like incision.

Hey, any one have suggestions for getting comfortable at night?  Trying to sleep last night, I just kept waking with neck spasms. It was

Thanks for all,
Marci

Pembo

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2008, 08:01:14 am »
Welcome Home Marci! I'm so happy to that things went so well.  Definitely try some heat on that neck, the heating pad will do wonders. Or have Brian go buy one of those heat wraps you stick on. Try some different pillow configurations too. And you can ask Dr M for an OT referral, they do awesome massage. That was the best part of my recovery, OT massage. :)

Rest.......you are on the easy side of the AN surgery now.........

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Cheryl R

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2008, 08:08:06 am »
I had neck pain for a good 2 weeks after my last surgery.    I slept in 2 different beds and even sat up in a chair every night.     I bought like 2 different pillows during that time and had more laying around.     My head and incision didn't hurt.  Just the darn neck.    I did use heat on it some too.
It finally went away.                           
     Good to hear how well your surgery went.            I have a friend in Bay Village and visited her last summer,but I am from Iowa.
                                                          Cheryl R               
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2008, 08:12:01 am »
Welcome back home.

I had to change pillows so I could get comfortable.  My regular pillow is one of those memory foam, very expensive and very heavy things and since Tues I've been using a cheap $5.00 fibre filled pillow.  It has made a difference.

Rest my friend, enjoy your family.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games