Author Topic: Gamma Knife and meningiomas in the CPA  (Read 2527 times)

Vivian B.

Gamma Knife and meningiomas in the CPA
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:17:27 pm »
Hi There,

Thanks to Jim, I think I am starting a new thread. Anyway, some of you have seen my name under help! What they thought was an AN turns out to be a meningioma in the CPA also intracranial on the 7th nerve. Apparently, they have the same pathology as the AN and pretty much the same surgical procedure, the only difference is that the meningioma does not compress and attaches itself to the petrous bone. Another issue with the meningioma is that it is a little bit farther in and therefore harder to get to and if they remove it by surgery, facial nerves are completely damaged as well as hearing. Therefore here are my questions:

Does anybody out there had one of these meningiomas? if so, did anybody have surgery and what were the outcomes? Was anybody offered gamma knife surgery as a treatment option?

Your thoughts please are always welcome.

Thanks.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Gamma Knife and meningiomas in the CPA
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:00:57 pm »
Hi Vivian,

I am going to refer you to a user on this site named "Sheryl".  If you send her an email here on the site, I'm sure she'll respond.

Sheryl's lovely husband (I have had the honor of meeting them both) had a meningioma many years ago which was surgically removed.  In his case, he later had a meningioma regrowth. He didn't want want to undergo surgery again and opted for Cyberknife radiation in Boston. I know he has had a bit of difficult time since but not sure if it's related to the meds he was on post-radiation but last I heard, the growth was under control.

They would be a terrific resource since he has had the 2 meningiomas as well as gone through surgical removal and radiation. 

Give them my love... they are very sweet people. :)

Hope this helps.
Phyl
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:07:03 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:05:51 pm »
Hello Vivian,

I have a 5mm Meningioma posterior to the brain stem origin of the trigeminal nerve. I have had a couple of different opinions, one being a candidate for Cyberknife, the other being that I was told I would probably never have to deal with it in my lifetime. They are also slow growing, usually benign tumors like AN's. Please feel free to PM me if you like.
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:44:45 am »
Thank you both for your replies.

Jackie, it sounds like we have the same thing. I will PM you to discuss. Thanks. Phyl I will see if I can find Sheryl.
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 06:22:05 am »
Vivian I have a friend who had a meningioma in the CPA and had surgery in March 08. They went in through her ear (?) she lost her hearing and suffered TEMPORARY facial paralysis. She is looking great and has 85% facial recovery back... have faith. You will choose what is right for you.
Research, research, research ... knowledge is power.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 07:00:54 am »
Hi Michelle,

Conforting to hear all the options available. I don't know how I would have gotten through these past two weeks if it wasn't for this forum. I think I may be ready to go back to work on Monday.

Thanks

Vviian.