Author Topic: Recently had dental x-rays now having symptoms all over again  (Read 8255 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Recently had dental x-rays now having symptoms all over again
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »
Had CK in May 2012, was doing wonderfully until a couple of weeks ago and am wondering if having had digital dental x-rays along with dental work is causing these issues to rear their ugly heads again.  Had full mouth x-rays then several x-rays on right side which is NOT my AN side.  I mentioned to the dentist that I have/had an AN, he was not concerned.  Anyway, now I'm having numerous dizzy spells and feelings like the hemi-facial spasms are ready to start up again  ???.  I sent my AN doctor an email, he replied that it's probably from the CK but if I wanted to come into the office he'd take a look.  Doctor also commented that my next MRI is not until 2016 and last one in 2014 showed shrinkage.  I'm reluctant to go to the office because as far as I know they can't do anything for either problem.

So I have two questions: 1) has anyone else experienced recurrence of symptoms on a successfully treated AN that had either CK or GK after having had dental work?
                                     2) I know I'll probably need dental work soon on the AN side but this really scares me thinking that the shots etc may make the hemi-facial spasms return, any comments/ideas?

Thanks for any help; I did do some research here before posting.

Chloes Mema
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

ewhitese

Re: Recently had dental x-rays now having symptoms all over again
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:39:22 pm »
I am one year five months post GK surgery, my symptoms began to quiet in September and I am feeling pretty normal right now.  I began to notice a sense of my hearing returning in the past two months, no conformation but have my next MRI middle of February and intend to have the audiologist check me out then.  I had a dental issue this past Tuesday and had a dental x-ray taken.  I have had no increase in symptoms that I can pinpoint to my AN.  Today I noticed a fullness in my AN ear and a decrease in hearing.  Not a huge change just something I noticed.  I have had this on again off again feeling in my ear before, so I do not connect it to the dental x-ray.

I have not had any facial nerve disruption through my whole experience.  So I am going to weigh in and say I have no changes connected to my AN and GK surgery being effected by dental x-ray.  You know that things change often in our experience and my situation may change, who knows.  Have you considered the change in air pressure from weather fronts?  We on the east coast are experiencing wet warmer weather which is following an extended cold dry snap.  This changing weather pattern stuff always hits me between the eyes, headache pain, trouble sleeping, it used to cause dizziness but since September I have not had a dizzy spell.  But still have the headache stuff.  Weather definitely effects my AN symptoms and that has not gone away even after GK surgery.

Sorry to here about your increased symptoms, hope your situation improves soon.  I wonder, did you have Novocain during your dental procedure?  Would that have something to do with your increased symptoms?  My thought is that Novocain is numbing the nerves of the teeth and must have an effect on surrounding facial and ear canal nerves.   Considering the numbness I experience in my jaw and cheek area after dental work.

chloes mema

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:49:20 pm »
ewhitese 
I did consider the Novocain; however, the dental work was on my right side which is not my AN side so I doubt that has anything to do with it.  I am, though, terrified to have the dental work done on the left side which is my AN side because of the Novocain.  Just don't want or need anything to trigger the hemi-facial spasms.  Anyway, I never thought of the weather change but that may have something to do with it but we've had a very mild winter so far in Florida.  I did mention the dizziness to my personal trainer at the gym, she said I maybe dehydrated, drink more water which I did and it did help some.  At this point, I'm more concerned about the hemi-facial spasms coming back, they were not pleasant.  Hope all remains well with you.   
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:23:37 pm »
I've had full dental X-Rays at least twice since GK. No problems.

I've also had novocaine on the AN side twice since GK. No problems.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

chloes mema

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:59:00 pm »
ArizonaJack Thanks that's good to know.  I suspect it's coincidence. 
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:54:42 pm »
I had dental X-rays 3 weeks ago. No problems relating to the AN.

My teeth, OTH, oh well.  ;D
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:41:17 am »
Had dental xrays no problems.... but did have a week of recurrent symptoms over 4 years after CK all absolutely fine again now
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Bonnie B.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 12:31:27 pm »
Just saw your post regarding dental xrays, novacaine etc.  As you know, I had GK three years ago.  I have had dental work, novacaine and xrays without any negative results.  Just had my three year post GK and everything is stable.  Life is good. 
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

chloes mema

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:32 am »
Bonnie So glad to hear you are doing so well.  I guess my dental experience / "return of symptoms" was just a blip since none of my doctors, dentists, or anyone else can explain it. 
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

john1455

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:45:49 am »
As a dentist (retired after 32 years of private practice) and with an AN, it is my professional opinion that dental x-rays and dental work have no affect on ANs or any exacerbation of symptoms associated with an AN. ANs are unpredictable creatures and symptoms can arise at any time and it is most likely coincidental that symptoms appear worse after dental work.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

chloes mema

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 03:47:12 pm »
john1455 Thank you for your profession opinion.  After reading on the forum and talking with doctors and dentist they all agree with you.  It just seemed too coincidental to me but then who knows.  I've noticed the facial spasms have calmed down but the tinnitus has taken off with a roar.  Oh well, guess it's the new me as they say.
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Sergio64

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 11:57:44 pm »
I think you should get proper dental treatment before problem gets worst. My Torrance dentist provides very effective treatment. He uses all latest equipments to treat the patients. I think you should consult him!