Author Topic: Has it really been three years?  (Read 2617 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Has it really been three years?
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:07:11 pm »
I posted this on facebook when I figured out I forgot that yesterday was my recovery anniversary, and thought I would post here as well. Thanks to all of you for the kindness and support you have provided over the past three years.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Psalm 139:14)

This verse comes to mind because I realized that I completely forgot that yesterday was the third anniversary of my microvascular decompression surgery for hemifacial spasm. It's been a long and slow, yet miraculous journey since awakening to unexpected left-side deafness and facial paralysis.

I am very grateful for the healing I have had, considering that at my post-op checkup my neurosurgeon, "had a bad feeling about my nerve" and recommended a surgeon closer to home for nerve jump surgery.

Highlights have included recovery of 85% of the hearing in my left ear, a platinum eyelid weight, better than expected improvement in facial function, some disturbing come-and-go spasms caused by nerve regeneration and most recently, a return of TMJ and a brand-spanking new bite guard.

Thanks to my family and friends for love, support and prayers. A big shout out to the Washington University Facial Nerve Center, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, and Physical Therapy. I am deeply indebted to my online friends at the Hemifacial Spasm Association and the ANA Discussion Forum for information and support. I can't wait to see what the next year will bring!
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Has it really been three years?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:12:57 pm »
Here's to another year of progress and good news!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:03:47 pm »
saw it & commented on FB!!

Love ya!
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:15 am »
Happy Recovery Anniversary to you!
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:57:19 pm »
Saralynn ~

Time flies, doesn't it?  That's how some people get old (present company excepted, of course).  Congratulations on your 3rd surgery anniversary and your progress so far - with more to come, I'm sure!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 02:29:24 pm »
Like Jim said ... Time Flies ... continued good wishes on your grand adventure
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery