Author Topic: 10 days post-op  (Read 4806 times)

ANrookie

10 days post-op
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:18:05 pm »
Hi All,

Well I am 10 days post-op today and I  am feeling pretty good.  My surgery lasted 6 hrs and 15 minutes (2 hrs and 15 minutes longer than exprected) since my tumor was described as "very fibrous" and wrapped around my vestibular nerve so they had to work slowly and diligently to remove it.  Dr. Giannotta was able to remove the tumor completely.  Coming ot of r the O.R., I had full facial function and some diminished hearing.  One day later, was gone and I now have facial weakness.  My doctor is hopeful that I will regain facial function again, I just have to be patient.  On the hearing front, I woke up yesterday and had some hearing in my left ear again (albeit VERY little, but I'll take what I can get). 

I just wanted to thank all of you for your continued support and prayers throughout my journey.  Happy Holidays to all!

Love,
Cathy
Left side AN 1.5cm x 0.95 cm; Diagnosed 08/31/09        Retrosigmoid 12/11/09 Dr. Giannotta @USC University Hospital; Complete tumor removal; preserved nerve; facial weakness x3 months...smiling again :)

Kaybo

Re: 10 days post-op
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:57:19 pm »
Cathy~
Glad you are on the other side and seem to be doing well!

Merry Christmas!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:21:20 pm »
Cathy ~

Thanks for the update and congratulations on what appears to be a successful surgery.  I trust the facial weakness will abate soon and perhaps your hearing may even improve a bit.  In any case, you seem to be doing well, which is great news!  Merry Christmas - and may 2010 be your best year yet!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:57:57 pm »
Cathy - thanks for the update.  Its always good to learn about another successful removal.  Here is to a speedy recovery and a very Merry Christmas!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »
Cathy .....

Good to read your report.  Glad you are now a postie and hopefully you will soon be fully recovered.  Give your body time to heal and adjust to this major trauma.

Thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:31:30 pm »
Cathy -

thanks for the update.  Sounds like things are very positive for the short time you've been recovering.  As time goes on, things should improve.

Have patience and get plenty of rest.

Merry Christmas.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

gingerbread6

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 05:46:41 am »
Way to go, Cathy!! I am so glad that your surgery was a success. Rest up over the holidays and enjoy them with your family. Here's to a Happy, Healthy 2010!!

Gingerbread 6

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:19:40 am »
Cathy,

So great to see you on the Postie side!!!  I'm so happy you have some hearing!  That is very exciting.  It looks like you beat the odds.  Fantastic.  I hope your facial nerve is just being stubborn and wakes back up soon.  Congratulations on doing so well and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

another NY postie

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 06:49:12 am »
Welcome to Postieland!  The surgery sounds like a success and the fact that you did not initially have facial weakness bodes well....it should come back - just seems to take awhile for people.  Rest lots and enjoy the holidays - your AN is gone!!!! ;D
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:39:01 am »
Wishing you a speedy recovery and hoping all goes well..

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:55:51 am »
Speedy recovery !!  Glad to hear things went well.  "Life is Good".

Happy Holidays,

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

moe

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 10:02:59 am »
Yea Cathy!
Sounds like things went very well. The facial weakness should resolve. Be patient, you had BRAIN surgery.
Please don't over do it during the holidays. That is soo much easier said than done.
You need at least 6 weeks to pamper/rest/drink lots of fluids and go for gentle walks daily, and don't forget NAPS.
Someone mentioned something about not bending over a lot  post op which may cause post op headaches. (Who mentioned that, fellow forumites?)
I had the headache from you know where, and was short of breath such low blood counts (lost 2 pints of blood), so I definitely did not over do it!
My headaches subsided thank God, but that is one symptom that people complain of down the road.
So rest easy, ya hear?
Merry Christmas to you!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 10:21:53 am »
Cathy,

That's amazing news about your hearing!  I hope it continues to improve as your swelling goes down.  You know the facial weakness is temporary so keep telling yourself that.  It sounds to me like your surgery went as well as it possibly could have.  I'm glad you trusted Dr Gianotta and went with your gut instincts.  I can't wait to see you in a few months when we're both feeling much better and celebrate being posties and having our lives back again!  Enjoy the holidays with your family and take it easy on yourself.  I told Jonathan that I didn't get any facial function back until about 3-4 weeks, so be patient and be assured your face heal over time.

Much Love,
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 03:32:51 pm »
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Kevin
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)