Author Topic: eye ointment  (Read 8002 times)

Karen

eye ointment
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:17:25 pm »
I have been using Refresh Pm for 5 years now every night, but I have been wondering about switching to the generic Paralube that WalMart has.  Has anyone tried it?  Refresh is so expensive to  use.  The paralube is half the price!  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: eye ointment
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:59:47 pm »
I suggest looking for a proportion of mineral oil to petrolatum in the 45% to 55% range. I have found that the less expensive and generic ointments have a proportion of 85% to 15% and wear off almost as fast as drops.

Refresh PM and Lacrilube are the two I have found to have the longest staying power. They are more expensive per tube, but I have to reapply the other ones so often that they end up being more expensive in the long run.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:54:12 pm »
Karen~
I was wondering about that too but just as Sara mentioned, I was comparing the two and noticed the ingredients were not the same so I didn't try it...I guess I'll stick with the Refresh PM...it has worked for me for 13.5 years!  Actually, it has gone down or stayed the same in price the whole time I have been using it...KNOCK ON WOOD!! ;)

K
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:22:39 pm by Kaybo »
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jan D

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:05:05 pm »
I switched to Puralube from Lacrilube several years ago, and found no noticeable difference.  Kaiser's price for Puralube is about 1/3 the cost of Lacrilube.

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:44:07 pm »
I'm trying the Puralube now. I've only been using it for a few nights but so far so good. It doesn't last quite as long as the Refresh but if I get my eye taped up right after I put it in it's ok. It does seem to kind of turn liquidy and run out if you wait too long so it probably woudn't be good for daytime use.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 03:13:13 pm »
Am I the only one that didn't have any luck using the ointments?  They made my eye feel dry and sticky, and hurt like there was glass in it.  Celluvisc works great.

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:33:44 am »
I have used it, it works the same or you can buy Tears renewed ointment it goes for $5, my optomologist suggested that cuz I'd usually run out before I get my next perscription.
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 12:18:12 pm »
I have used Puralube for well over 13 years ever since my Insurance company decided they wouldn't pay for an over the counter ointment.  I have had my eye doctor write a new prescription a couple of times since then with no luck.  How does one get the insurance company to pay for it?  I use 1 to 2 tubes a day.  In December the ointment was back ordered and I used some other brands but didn't notice a change in how much I use.  Will check the percentages on a couple of them and try some that have the 45% - 55% ratio and see if I use less.  Puralube is back ordered again and I will be out before they restock so it's a good time to try something else.  I was paying $4 a tube at the store then ordered it for $2.12 over the Internet will have to see if paying 4 times as much on another brand would pay off it I could use less of it.  Thanks for the info.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 02:43:02 pm »
Hi Karen:  I've been using Refresh PM since my surgery 6/06 - other lubricants don't seem to work as well for me.
If you find one that does, that's great !  Let us know.

Jill,  I have never heard of Puralube (I'll have to look it up) as far as insurance,  this is an 'over-the -counter' medication, so they won't pay, but I do include it in my taxes
as medically necessary.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:44:14 pm »
I think that Puralube and Refresh PM are about the same ratio.  Like SaraLynn, I've found that the cheaper gels with different ratios really don't work for me.  I think everyone is different though, so it doesn't hurt to try out some different products.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 05:24:21 pm »
I just looked up Puralube and Debbi is right about the ingredients ratio. I've never seen it at Wal-Mart, though. But Refresh PM is only about $8.29 here all the time.

Sara
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:19:05 pm by saralynn143 »
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 11:30:31 pm »
Nancyann,  thanks for relieving my fears about Insurance paying for the ointment.  I thought I had read somewhere that some people get there's covered and If I could have all these years it would really upset me that I paid all that money when I didn't have to.   As for the Puralube, as I mentioned before it was back ordered for a while but I got my shipment today.  It's only $2.12 through Medichest on the Internet.  While they were back ordered I picked up a couple of tubes for $4, Walmart was out of stock but when they have it I believe  it costs about $3.

Since I was out of ointment and didn't want to spend the $8 a tube because I use 1 to 2 a day, I believe it or not bought some ointment over the Internet from a Vet supplier.  The ointment is made by Puralube as well but just has the word Vet after it.  The ingredient ratio isn't on the tube so I'm not sure if it's the same as the people Puralube or not.  It only cost $3 a tube and they had the shipment to me the day before I left for vacation.  The last thing I wanted to do was spend my money on ointment when I should be spending it on vacation fun.  I will have to do some comparisons on the 2 Puralubes as it seemed to me that the Vet ointment isn't as greasy.  Since I was on Vacation and not doing things like I usually do I'm not sure how much ointment I went through so will see how it goes now that I'm back on a regular routine.   A lot of things influence my use, such as staying up late which makes my eye tired and dry so I use more ointment, also weather conditions change how much I use, hot weather makes the ointment run so I use more, etc.  If I come up with any major revelations I'll let you know, but as Debbi and others have said everyone is different so what works for one won't for another.  Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, got home from vacation last night, went to work today so I"m a bit tired. Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Jill Marie

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 11:00:32 pm »
Just got an email from Medichest where I order my puralube eye ointment.  They have discontinued it, hopefully the vet ointment isn't discontinued as well.  I was paying $2.12 for it and the next price up from that is $6 for another brand which triples my cost.  Trying not to panic over the possible cost.  Luckily I'm to tired to panic as I'm working over time doing my job and a coworkers as she is on medical leave for 3 to 6 weeks starting yesterday.  Might need the extras income to buy the ointment.  Goodnight, Jill

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 10:51:38 pm »
Walgreens brand eye ointment has the higher ingredient ratio. It was on sale last time I was there for $7.99.

It can't be that expensive to produce if Puralube was sub-$3. We need to look into anti-trust legislation.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09