Author Topic: No Ointment Experiment  (Read 5327 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
No Ointment Experiment
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:04:38 am »
Today is day five of my little experiment going without ointment in my bum AN eye. I last applied PM Refresh to the eye last Wednesday. Since than, I spent two days  traveling from Atlanta to Greensboro and back, by car. No eye issues, even after some 14 hours of windshield time over two days!

Without ointment, the vision in my left eye is fairly clear; an improvement. I can easily make out the numbers on the wall-clock hanging across the room. I'm still experiencing double vision however, as the effected eye is not on center. It's still pointed ever so slightly up and to the right.

I've even gone without wearing those frosted eye glasses to hide my eye, which has been partially sown shut. It looks scary, kinda like one of the lizard visitors on that TV show V.  I even made a little girl cry with the eye; she popped her head up over the booth at the IHOP and I gave her the stink eye...yikes! I felt terrible. Her mother made her apologize for making fun of the "poor man."

I'm leaving for Milwaukee in the morning for the rest of the week. I'll bring along the usual eye care supplies but hope I can continue to go without ointment. I'm going to schedule a visit with my Eye Doctor for after this weeks trip to get his take on how my eye is doing; cornea preservation etc.  I have posted a current picture on my blog.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Free to Good A Eyelid: MedDev 1.8 Gram External Weight with all the accessories (case, several packs of adhesive stripes). DM me if you're interested.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:51:02 am by Doc B »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: No Ointment Experiment
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:24:42 am »
Hey Doc - just curious, do you have any sensation in that eye?  Meaning, do you feel scratchiness when it is dry?  Some people lack sensation, and that can be a bit risky since you don't always know when the eye is dry.  Anyway, it's great if you can get by without lubing up your eye at night!  Just waking up without what appears to be an oil slick around the eye would be a novel experience for me.

Oh, can't believe you are giving little girls the stink-eye!!  ;D ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Doc

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:44:15 am »
Hey Debbi,

Yes, I can feel everything, including any irritation. Every once in a while I'll push the lid up and down to make sure the eye is staying naturally moist...it seems to be fine. You described the "oil slick" around the eye perfectly...I know about that all to well! I do have a perpetual bag under my eye though...effect of the facial paralysis.

I really didn't mean to give the poor little girl the stink eye, it just kinda happen... ::)!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:31:26 am »
LOL.  Yes, I remember the bag under the eye all too welll!  Don't worry, it willl eventually go away.  It has to do with the lower lid being somewhat flacid.  I swear that mine reached halfways down my cheek.  Ah, the interesting aftereffects of acoustic neuroma...

Debbi (former stink eye)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Doc

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:50:19 am »
LOL...former stink eye...I love it!

Take Care Debbi!
 ;)
Doc

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:35 pm »
Wow Doc, that's great you can go without eye ointment for so long !!  Are you using eye drops ?  I tried to use Celluvisc instead of Refresh PM.  It only took a couple of minutes for me to grab the ointment again !!
Always good thoughts,  Nancy  ps  Doc:  I just saw your picture on your blog - man, you look great !!  Are you kidding me ?  Reanimation surgery ??!!  I don't see the need for Reanimation surgery at all. I don't see a droop,  nothing.  & your eyes look great too !!  You need to put that picture up on this forum you handsome guy !
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:28:27 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:23:54 pm »
Speaking of pictures, nancyann, where did yours go?

I've tried every kind of drop I can find but always go back to RefreshPM. I don't need it as often as before, but I'd still categorize myself as round the clock.

Hmmm. Never thought of a beard to help conceal the effects of facial paralysis. Just another way we girls are out of luck.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Doc

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 05:39:46 am »
Gosh Nancy, you made me blush! No drops required so far...doing good. Not to worry Sara Lynn, the beard is only temporary. It's coming off the minute I'm able to shave safely! For what it's worth, I'm also a big fan of PM Refresh...drops never worked for me.

Take Care!
   ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:33:09 am by Doc B »

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:11:18 am »
Sara:  I have no idea what happened to my picture, 'lost in space' I guess.  I'll have my nephew put in a more recent one when I visit in July !  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 06:35:52 am »
BTW, Doc - love your blog! Great way to process everything, isn't it?  I started mine about a month after I was diagnosed and have kept it going - kind of a form of therapy, I guess.
Debb (Keep blogging...)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 06:37:25 am »
Not even the liquigel one?     That has been my favorite.   Luckily most days don't need it but do some.     Nights is the gel but nothing over the eye.                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Doc

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »
BTW, Doc - love your blog! Great way to process everything, isn't it?  I started mine about a month after I was diagnosed and have kept it going - kind of a form of therapy, I guess.
Debb (Keep blogging...)

I know Debbi, keeping the blog has been a super outlet for me too. Besides, I enjoy writing. I've been keeping up with your blog for a while now. There are actually several forum members that keep a blog. Thanks for the kind words...blog on!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Doc

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 09:36:20 am »
It has been a week and a few days now and still no ointment in the eye.  My double vision is nearly gone but still have some blurriness.  Getting better is fun!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc