Author Topic: Surgery on March 13th question on eyes focusing.  (Read 3031 times)

lkrk

Surgery on March 13th question on eyes focusing.
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:39:37 am »
I had my translab approach on Wednesday March 13th at St Mary's Hospital at the Mayo Clinic.  Dr. Link and Dr. Driscoll and their team did an excellent job.  My AN tumor bordered small to medium in size (1.5 cm I believe).  I was blessed that the tumor was not vascular (bloody) and it was not sticky. It peeled off of my facial nerve.  Surgery was about 5 hours in length.  24 hours in ICU,  Three days in a regular room.  Terrific staff, very caring and gentle.  No facial paralysis but a strange thing with my lip, like it has fishing line pulling tight at the center of my lower lip.  Certainly nothing to complain about!  I am able to turn my neck!  I have been off of pain pills since Thursday March 14th. Tylenol! My doctors said that it was a very smooth successful operation due to its size and the tumor should be 100% removed. 

Vertigo is horrendous but I had it prior to surgery just not at this level.  My eyes do not want to work together.  That is my biggest problem.  Sick to my stomach from double vision and eyes not working nicely together.  Gee they did get along great before!!

Any vision tips would be welcome! I am looking into an eye patch so I can at least have both eyes open during trying times!  Thank you for listening.
Lauren

Diagnosed 6/29/11 7mm
Dec 2012  1.5 cm
Translab scheduled 3/13/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surgery on March 13th question on eyes focusing.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:07 am »
Hi Lauren .....

So glad you had a great result from your surgery.  Overall, it sounds like you are doing very well.

I, also, had double vision following my first (retrosigmoid) surgery.  It was annoying and it gradually resolved after about two weeks.  I did still have nystagmus (rapid involuntary movements of the eyes) for some time afterwards, but it, as well, gradually resolved.

I did not try an eye patch and I do not know of any particular exercises one can do.  It just takes the brain awhile to calm down for some of us.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mk

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:13:47 pm »
I did not have double vision, but I did have some nystagmus during the first few days and trouble focusing my eyes afterwards. I was given some gaze exercises to do, simple things like take an object back and forth in front of my eyes etc. I can't say that I did them faithfully, I found that what helped most was to try to look far away, say focus on a building or something like that. It resolved fairly soon.

Double vision can be trickier, it is due to some nerve damage (6th nerve that controls the eye muscles). It usually resolves by itself, but it may take a few months. Some people find the eye patch useful in the meantime.

You are still very early out of surgery, so try to take it easy, rest as much as possible to allow your body and nerves to heal.

Good luck
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

lkrk

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:30:38 pm »
Thank you!  I am on day 14 today. I had my sutures removed by my family doctor.  Besides double vision, I do have nystagmus of my right eye even though surgery was on the left. Frustrating!  But then I am not a very patient person!  This is making me practice patience!

I am in Minnesota where spring has not yet sprung.  Snow everywhere on our farm, mud on the driveway. I bought curtains for the livingroom as the contrast of snow and sun, it seems to overstimulate my brain.  I want to walk more.  At this time we drive to a store, park far away and walk.  Soon I hope to be able to walk at home!  Darn snow!

Thank you again for your comments. I appreciate knowing that I am not alone with this problem!

Lauren

Lauren

Diagnosed 6/29/11 7mm
Dec 2012  1.5 cm

lkrk

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:40:54 am »
Three Weeks + post op.  My eyes have settled down a bit; the only problem is looking to the right, the eyes do not track together.  It also happens when I am tired looking in any direction.  That is my body telling me to take it easy!  I still feeling wonky.  Short term disability and doctor has me going back to work in three weeks.  yikes!  Next week I am going to practice driving with my husband!  My husband has been a wonderful caregiver.  Family and friends have been a terrific source of support too.
Lauren

Diagnosed 6/29/11 7mm
Dec 2012  1.5 cm