Author Topic: balance /depth perception / eyes  (Read 2970 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
balance /depth perception / eyes
« on: August 08, 2008, 11:19:55 am »
I have had some eye problems ever since surgery last July ...dry eye , eye that wouldn't close ,
then later it didn't want to open ... that resolved itself for the most part ,  but my eye  still closes
when I yawn ... surgeon says some where along facial nerve bits are stuck together...just  love his
technical explanations

I am having more issues with depth perception lately and took a fall on my front steps this morning ...
I see things are clear but they seem closer to me than they are ... we have new steps and I have not got the
automatic walk up and down them down yet...

I now have a black and blue rear end... especially around tail bone , with very little pain... but my hips and about
half way up my spine hurt... I hit my right elbow and jammed my arm upward... shoulder hurts and my hand
is cold and tingly ... I can feel a little hard lump on my elbow that moves if I touch it  ... don't know if it is just
bruised hard tissue or if I chipped something... going to doctor when girls come in from school  to have it checked
out ... he said go to ER since he couldn't see me til late ,  but I have to pay $300 to walk through the door
of ER with new insurance ... I can see him for the cost of the office visit ... around $80 and they bill any xrays...

It gave me an instant headache from the jarring... felt like a hammer hit me at base of skull and my ears are
ringing louder... just took Tylenol to help and it eased

I had my eyes checked and was told it is not my eyes , but how my eyes communicate with my brain
and it with them...he thinks somewhere along facial nerve there is damage ...whatever it is I don't like it

any ideas of what to check???  When the doctors don't know it worries me and puts me in research mode

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Cheryl R

Re: balance /depth perception / eyes
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:41 am »
The eye closing when you yawn sounds like synkinesis.         There could be some exercises that might help or just put up with it if that is the only time it happens with yawning.     
Sorry to hear about the fall and now the hurting all over.     Do you have any ibuprofen as that might help the pain as is anti inflammatory.              Hopefully you did no damage.   
I had some problem with the depth perception after all of my surgeries but less this last time than the rest and it is gone.    It is very annoying.         
                      I hope you will be ok,                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: balance /depth perception / eyes
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 05:55:56 am »
I did chip elbow ... not much to do but wait for the chip to dissolve , which they said it would ,  if it didn't manage to settle next to where it chipped off and heal together...

I have some swelling at base of skull ... he ordered a CT scan and it is muscle swelling ...no visible spine damage... he said I basically gave myself whip lash... ibuprofen and me don't get along ... been taking Tylenol and last night a hydrocodone because when I laid down my head really started pounding ...

I am achy all over this morning and check out rear in mirror and it has developed interesting patterns

The eye closing when I yawn has been going on for a while ...don't remember exactly when it started ...surgeon said it was mild synkinesis and if it didn't progress don't worry ...sometimes it is more pronounced..it will just shut sometimes and at other times squeezes shut... but it has not spread aince it started...

just need to figure what is going on with eyes ...

Medical Detective in Training ( and a sore one at that )

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery