Author Topic: plugged ears  (Read 2462 times)

kawman600

plugged ears
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:15:56 am »
had surgery 5 weeks ago,still having balance issues and doing therapy  for this,is getting better slowly(a lot slower than i had thought it would)-i have noticed that i get this full feeling in my head -as if my ears are plugged-or the feeling you get when your ears plugg from an airplane ride,this come often while doing some of the therapy,but i have noticed it at other times also-i think if this were not there my progress would improve faster-has anybody had this -or any suggestions-thanks

kma

Re: plugged ears
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
Hi kawaman600~

I had my surgery in February of this year and I had that very same feeling of "plugged ears" for quite a while after my surgery.  Thinking back, it probably was most noticable while exerting myself in any way.  I also did physical therapy which helped alot and I also found walking to help alot.  I had a much slower recovery than I expected and still find it slow sometimes but I will tell you that my plugged ears got much much better and I don't have it hardly ever anymore.  Keep up the walking and physical therapy and make sure you are drinking enough water.  I think it was about eight weeks before I noticed big changes.  Not sure why but all of a sudden, everything started getting much better.  Hang in there and though sometimes you probably don't feel like it.......keep walking!!  : )

~Kathy
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

OTO

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:02:05 pm »
The "fullness" feeling will subside over time.   Slowly building up your strength and balance by walking and exercising will help.    After two years post-op I still get that feeling once in awhile but it fades with time.

moe

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:33:30 am »
My "fullness" feeling still continues after 3 years, to a mild degree, sorry to report.
Not as bothersome as my tinnitus though so that's a plus for me.
Symptoms are so varied and different for everyone. Interesting to hear about other's symptoms.
 I still blow my nose as if to clear the feeling!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:58:16 am »
Oh no, I'm so sad to read these responses.  I'm only 3 weeks out from surgery, but I was hoping when people said to me that it'll go away-they meant weeks and not months or years!
Blech.  Besides the new found headaches, the fullness is probably my least favorite side effect.

Oh well.  I still count my blessings. 
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:22:43 pm »
Oh that's interesting. I notice that I still have fullness in my ear at times. I will comment to my co-worker that my ear feels plugged up. It comes and goes. Kind of glad to see that it's not abnormal. And I will try to "pop it" by blowig with my nose plugged. Doesn't work.  ::)

Like all things, you get used to it.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.