Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 100809 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »
 ;D
Unfortunately she already knows...good thing is she also understands the depth of my passion. A Bob that has been on the water is a happy Bob. In a very good mood tonight. No surf but I went out for a 4+ hours paddle on glassy seas. Perfect conditions for looking into my own private aquarium. I could see the bottom in 20 feet of water. A small of seal was playing around nearby...every once in awhile it would swim close, go under my board and pop up on the other side to watch me. Stayed with me for almost an hour. Wish I'd had a mask and fins with me...would have been fun to swim with it.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Seal

« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2010, 07:51:39 am »
;D
 A Bob that has been on the water is a happy Bob.

Yep, you can replace   Bob with Steve, and its the same in my house.    Sounds like you are making good progress too, Bob.   I think all the time this summer on the boat fishing was the best vestibular training possible.    I also received a bosu ball for Christmas to help with balance training.   So far, the bozu is really helping with my balance issues which by now are very minimal.    Good to see your out on the water already!!

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #227 on: January 18, 2010, 09:49:07 am »
This one is for Joe Bloggs.....look familiar JB?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CA7CodeY1I
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #228 on: January 20, 2010, 10:08:16 pm »
Steve...the bosu's are great. Try inverting it and standing on it while doing dumbbell curls. Balance therapy and great core workout all at once.

Seal

« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »
Thanks for the tip Bob.    I tried the inverted ball already and it was interesting.    I'll try it with the weight tomorrow and see what happens.   Funny, but the bozu is more popular with the kids from the 3 yr old who jumps on it while watching PBS to my 13 yr old soccer girl who is using it for balance and core workouts!     I'll have to start taking a number like at the supermarket!
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

joebloggs

« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2010, 04:52:24 am »
Bob,

Greetings from Bangkok... just about to jump on a plane to Dubai, but just wanted to let you know brought my paddleboard here and absolutely rocked it.  Was paddling around a huge lake in the jungle - like 60km long, was great fun.  Will post photos soon - almost everyone on the yoga retreat had a go - naturally they were all fantastic at it having well honed balance skills! 

lots of love

JB xx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2010, 07:32:25 am »
Happy Birthday, Stoneaxe!  Don't spend the whole day on the water!!!!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2010, 11:46:23 am »
Yikes...just realized how long its been since I was on here.

That sounds awesome JB....I've been following your travels on FB. Some very funny stories. Be careful young lady.... ;D

Thanks for the birthday wishes Nancy...I didn't get in the water at all on my birthday....too sore from the day before... ;D

joebloggs

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2010, 12:56:33 pm »
It was awesome, super awesome.  Really helped my balance - not that it's that bad now, but it's still a bit wonky sometimes.  Keep meaning to post photos... will do that tonight!!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2010, 11:10:46 pm »
JB...I hope you do manage to come over for the CCBC this year. Its shaping up to be an amazing event. Sponsors jumping on, big parties getting planned (at least 3 and more likely 4), some races leading up to the event. Getting bigger everyday. Our goal is a bit ambitious this year....we've started thinking we may be able to reach $100,000. That would be enough to host 20 kids and their families at Christopher's Haven while the kids are getting treatment at Mass General. We have paddlers emailing form all over talking about coming out...a crew from Hawaii, some from Calif...you and possibly one or two more from the UK. I can't wait...getting very exciting.

joebloggs

« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2010, 03:24:47 am »
I'd love to come, so much.  I seriously thinking about it - why so serious?  Because it's about £500 just to get over there, money is tight this year and jobs security is an issue.  Trying to work out how I can sort it out to come over.  We'll see.  I will keep paddling with an eye to coming over, but as per usual it will all come down to cashola!  Sounds like it will be amazing though!! x

Keri

« Reply #236 on: March 06, 2010, 02:36:26 pm »
can't you just paddle on over from the UK?
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2010, 09:49:54 am »
Sorry i've been missing for a bit folks...crazy busy with the new job and planning for the 2010 CCBC...shaping up to be an amazing event this year, lots more paddlers, great new sponsors, crazy exciting. Not only are we doing the CCBC but we are having multiple races, parties, and other events associated with it. The premier race event is going to be July 17th on the Charles River in Boston...hosted by Community Boating with the race in the basin between the Mass Ave and Kendall bridges. There will be demos available before, during and after the race, and a fun after party on the docks. The Cape race is going to be an exciting event at Whitecrest beach June 12th, with a vewry visible route and beach run relay....if there are waves that day its going to be mayhem in the beach break... ;D. We have a few other parties planned as well being hosted at area pubs.....much thanks to Wachusett Brewing and their wonderful sponsorship.

joebloggs

« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2010, 12:23:29 pm »
Wish I could come... will see if I can do some extra overtime!!

another NY postie

« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2010, 03:24:04 pm »
Hi Stoneaxe/Bob...just wanted you to know that you have another recruit..took me awhile to get down to the Jersey Shore and get on a paddleboard...but I loved it!!!!!!!  Fell off a few times but all in all it was fabulous and my instructor (I took a lesson) was very impressed with my balance considering I only have one side!  Thanks for introducing this to me...what a great workout! 
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'