Author Topic: 3 yrs Post-CK and thriving!  (Read 10322 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
3 yrs Post-CK and thriving!
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:25:07 am »
Ok, had to do this... I usually try to do a full update once/year .... so, it's time to share this with you all.

Today is "Good Friday".  Exactly 3 yrs ago today was "Good Friday" (April 7) and it was my last of 5 days of CK treatments at Beth Israel in Boston (a very Good Friday, indeed).  I brought an Easter basket, filled to the rim with sugar-highs for my CK team to share (made sure they didn't eat any first before they started to press any ole' CK button... :) )

I now sit here, 3 yrs later and have to think back about this dramatic event in my life.  I have to sit back and really think about all that I have achieved since my AN treatment. 

--I have never regretted my decision.
--I went with my gut.
--I have faith in what I have done.
--I pray each day that my "brain booger" (yes folks, I coined that around here, but you can still use it ;) ) dies a fugly death.
--I stay on this site, unlike many that have had CK and just move along in life, to help give back since SO many here at the time were truly a G-D-send to me when I needed it most.
--My hearing is intact, same as before the CK.. thus, my personal goal was met.
--The love and support that my friends, my family, my "AN" family has given me truly humbles me. I am ever so grateful.

3 yrs later, I can sit back, knowing the docs have deemed me a "done deal" and know I did what was best for me and my situation.

I don't need to be here. I can just carry on in life. I can just move along, forget about my AN as a "blip" in my life and just focus now on other issues in my life.

But, I don't.

--You all have given me such mental strength and love that I have never felt before in life.
--The friendships I have forged here are so very very dear to me.... I am truly blessed.
--My heart feels the need to give back... to try to help those that now begin and endure their new journey in life.
--Folks have noted to me about the time and energy I put into Moderating here... or organizing brunches... or spending time on the phones for the WTT list....  or emails... or time spent in helping others with brain tumors (all kinds, not just AN's)..... and you know what?  There is more for me to give.

I am doing fine! I know I did what was best for me and I knock on wood every day that it has paid off.

--I live, I love, I laugh (ok, I truly laugh at many of you here, but heck, some of you deserve it!) ;)
--I forge and push myself as hard as I can.
--Since treatment, I have a renewed energy and love of life.

I thrive...

and I thank you all!

Wellness wishes to you... many hugglez as well!  I'm thrilled to share a 3 yr journey with you in the hopes that it helps to inspire some that you, too, can forge forward, regardless of what AN decisions you make for you.... and even for those that options are not available, I send you love and energy and hugglez.

You all rawk! Thank you for over 3 yrs of being there for me...

Next update in 12 mos! :)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: 3 yrs Post-CK and thriving!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:50:50 am »
Beautiful

Thank you for continuing to be here for us.  I just wish I was able to attend one of the brunches ;)  If you are ever up in the Toronto area dinner is at my place.

Thanks Phyl,
Anne Marie OXOX
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 09:11:44 am »
Must reply to boss's post.  ;D

Phyl, I think for many of us, you define what this forum is all about. We have a lot of great contributors now, who keep it going every day and make it the lively and rewarding place it has become. But you were the one who steered it through some shakier days, and shaped it into the safe haven that now means so much to so many. Thank you so much for all you have done. It would not have happened without you.

And congratulations on reaching the 3 year mark safe and sound. Best wishes for year number 4.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:27:53 am »
Hi Phyl!

Even though you are the only one here that yells at me  ;), I must say that by now you have given back WAY more than you have received from here.  So many people reach out to you for answers, and you are always there for them.  One of the first things I noticed when I found this place was that your face was there in pretty much every topic on the board!  That's a lot of time and a lot of caring.  Where would we be without your hugglez?

Thanks for what you do, and congratulations on your 3 year Good Friday anniversary!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:12:39 am »
Phyl ~

Thank you for your poignant, heartfelt post describing your AN journey and the motivation for all you do, here and elsewhere.  Well done. 

I probably wouldn't still be posting here, much less, be a moderator, if it weren't for your inspiration.  I think all of the mods look to you as a leader, based on your experience and example of dedication.  I believe the moderators and many of our 'regulars' have a very similar motivation; to share, help, inform and support other people dealing with this relatively rare medical crisis that can have such devastating and long-lasting effects on AN patients and their families. Your example helped set many of us on the path to helping others through this website and the forums and for that, we owe you a profound debt of gratitude.  You've touched many people and accomplished much.   

I'm delighted to learn of your 3-year MRI results and your obvious joy with that news as well as your urge to do even more.   You're an amazing lady and we're happy to have you here.  I look forward to seeing you again in just over a week, at the April 19th AN Brunch in Worcester.  :)

Jim

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:04:19 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:24:45 am »
Thriving, you are!!!  And helping others learn to thrive also, despite their situations.  And, of course, it meant SO much to me to meet you last Spring!  (Hope you get back soon, too...)

Know you deal with a lot in your life, but I'm very glad that your AN, at least, is no longer causing you problems or concerns.

Thanks for sticking around - many hugs to you,

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:22:56 pm »
Death to the Brainbooger! Yeah!!!!

Way to go Phyll!  Thanks to you for being here for the rest of us and your tireless efforts to make the AN World a better place.

Love and Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

mk

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:43:10 pm »
Phyl,

Thanks for the upbeat and encouraging update. Also thanks for always beeing here, with words of confort and encouragement for everyone, and especially newbies who really need it!

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 03:32:02 pm »
Hi Phyl,

I am so glad for you. Thank you for all your support in time of stress and confusion. You have really been there always replying and sharing your thoughts.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 09:24:37 pm »
Heartfelt congratulations, Phyl, on your success story, and many thanks for giving back to this community. The difference you are making in a lot of people's lives is wonderful and admirable. It's people like you that make this Earth a better place.

Sincerely,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 06:44:59 am »
Phyl,

Congratulations!!  You "rawk"!!

Huggles and Hugs,

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:59:51 am »
Phyl -

like Steve said, you define what the forum is all about.  Your dedication is amazing - as is your strength.  I've learned a lot from you over the years and look forward to learning even more in the years to come.

I'm so glad you are thriving and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person at the symposium in August.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

macintosh

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 11:49:41 pm »

Hi Phyl--

It's great to hear of your progress, and I want to chime in with what others have said about what you've given us.

Through the time and energy that you've put into this board, you've sustained something that has given countless numbers of people (including me) the resources we've needed in some of our bleakest hours. We all hope we've been put on this earth to make a difference. You've accomplished that.

Thank you.

Mac

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 07:44:42 am »
humbled folks... truly! Wasn't looking for the nice words you all have shared... but just to let know folks that for some, life can move on beautifully as I have been blessed.  But, this was also to note that even things have not gone as hoped post-any-AN-treatment, we can gain strength by numbers... and know that even if our outcomes are not as planned/hoped, others are here to help along the way... which is what each and every single one of you do.... and I thank you all!

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mickey

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 09:33:32 am »
Hi ppear!  Very happy to hear about your 3 year experience with CK. Very happy that its turned out so well. This is also great for all of us looking to someday being treated. Another breath of fresh air with optomism in treatments for
Acouistic Neuromas. Also thankyou for your commitment to this wonderful board! Best Wishes, Mickey