Author Topic: Have my appt for GK  (Read 2759 times)

jps311

Have my appt for GK
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:26:41 pm »
Hello again,

Well i have met the team of Drs. last thursday and i have decided on the GK over surgery. With the size of my AN its my best option. I did listen to both sides and the surgeons really didn't convince me that surgery was needed. IF it was bigger yes then surgery was the answer. Side effects are equal for the hearing issue 50/50 i could lose it my left ear. Everything being equal i have chosen this method knowingly that it could grow in the future. But it should also shrink they have told me. So from my perspective i will proceed with GK.

ITs scheduled for 2 weeks from now. Actually its on Friday the 13th. My wife and friends think i am crazy for that day but my reaction is i want to get it over with. I will be honest i am nervous about it and i guess i should be. But i am hoping for a quick recovery and back to work. I just want to get back to normal. Just wanted to update everyone.

Thanks PAul

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Have my appt for GK
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:30:54 pm »
Paul:

We appreciate the update.  You've made the hardest decision you'll have to make, now.  I hope and will pray that your Gamma Knife procedure is successful and you'll be able to defeat the AN and get back to normal, as you said. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:21:45 pm »
Paul,

Congrats on completing the decision-making process. To me, the most difficult, gut-wrenching part of having an AN for those that do have optons to choose.... "what to do?...."  Will be sending wishes on Friday the 13th (good for you on choosing that! :) ) and please keep us updated how you do. Many here that have already had GK done and know that they are more than happy to share their GK experiences and cheer you on as well.

Congrats again!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:53:49 pm »
Don't think of it as Friday the 13th; think of it as Valentine's Eve. :)

Best wishes for a successful procedure. It will be a piece of cake.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jps311

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:18:46 pm »
IT is valentines day the next day but i promised my wife i will make it up to her in a few weeks. Already have something planned/

marion

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:49:05 am »
Paul, what a coincidence that my GK treatment is going to be done on Feb. 13 too.  I have gone through the same uncertainty of treatment options for a couple months, and finally decided to go for GK!!
Wishing both of us the best of luck!! Marion

jps311

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 07:48:05 pm »
I just want this over. I am kind of nervous about the head cage but i will be better by the day of the procedure. I have a great wife who has been great through the decision process. Considering we found out 2 weeks before our wedding that they needed to take care of the AN. So i am just happy to get through it and go home recover and spend the weekend relaxing. Unfortunately no football on that weekend.

GRACE1

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:29 pm »
Please try not to worry so much about the head frame.  I had GK in 2006, and it was not really that big a deal.  The pain factor was very small, and the frame is not that uncomfortable.  Good luck with you procedure!

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 02:23:44 pm »
Paul,

I agree with Grace.  Don't worry about the headframe.  Actually, I found it to be fascinating....maybe I am a freak (Steve agrees)!!!  I had my GK Oct. 21, 2008 (a newbie postie), and I am doing fine with only a few ups and downs here and there.  And, I will be honest here because I have finally figured it out....I think I go looking for stuff that isn't there.  For weeks, I was just sure my GK was causing weird symptoms.  Convinced myself that I had made a horrible mistake by having GK. Then it turned out that the head problems were from a chronic sinus infection.  As for Friday the 13th.... my grandmother will tell you no problem with the day.  She is proud to say that she was born on Friday the 13th in 1913.  She brags about it all the time and says it is a lucky day.  The way she gets around at her age, I would say "yes" to her way of thinking.  Best wishes on your upcoming GK.  What a hard decision to make, and you did it.  Now you are on your way to AN death.  I had a MRI a couple of weeks ago (3 months post GK), and the thing is already shrinking.  My hearing test showed that I have the same hearing as I did before GK.  I also have good balance according to my balance test, but I think I am a little tipsy at times.  Can't complain.  Love modern technology.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

windy

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 07:13:33 pm »
Paul and Marion,

I want give both of you well wishes on your GK treatments on Friday the 13th.  I wish you the very best on your treatment day and the days to follow!  I am so glad you have both made a decision.  I think it is a good one.

In regard to Friday the 13th, I love Steve's idea about it being Valentine's Eve!  Steve, I love your positive attitude.  It is so uplifting.  Also, I agree with Nancy's grandmother about Friday the 13th being a lucky day.  My mom was born on Friday, March 13th.  Also, when she had diphtheria as a toddler her hospital room was Room 13.  My grandmother has always said the number 13 is a lucky number!  My mom is now in her 70's.  I am going to say this is a lucky day for you both!

My best wishes to both of you on Friday!  Keep us posted!

Windy 
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014