Author Topic: Neuromonics treatment for Tinnitus  (Read 3853 times)

BevM

Neuromonics treatment for Tinnitus
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:28:03 pm »
I just received a call from my Health care provider, Kaiser Permanente, offering me an appointment with a physician, Dr. Lillie Woodberry to discuss a treatment newly offered to Kaiser Patients called Neuromonics for the treatment of Tinnitus.
Have any of you heard of this; have any information about pros and cons?

I suspect one of you has some information or experience with this and I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Bev

Featofclay

• February, 2011
Re: Neuromonics treatment for Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 09:31:08 am »
Hi Bev,
After reading your post, I found two web sites that you might be interested in reading:

http://www.neuromonics.com/global/FAQ.aspx

http://www.neuromonics.com/healthprofessionals/What-Does-The-Tinnitus-Treatment-Involve.aspx

Hopefully someone else will respond.
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 01:29:24 pm »
Hi BEv,  goood topic...
My husband complains about tinnitus more than I.  His problem is hearing loss due to industrial noise.  I wonder if the neuromonics testing included any SSD folks.  Anybody out there?

I seldom notice my own tinnitus since I've adjusted.  But, rainy, high humidity days are still uncomfortable in my ears. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:31:29 pm by Boppie »

lora

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:37:39 pm »
Unusual devices advocated for tinnitus. "caveat emptor"
There are many strange devices that have been offered for tinnitus. One of the most recent is the Neuromonics device. It is presently being sold in the US, through select audiologists, for about $5000. This device resembles a "Ipod" player, and even comes with premium headphones ! Unfortunately, you can't use the device to play anything other than preprogrammed cartridges, that we are told, sound somewhat like "new age" music.

It is too soon to say whether or not this device is effective. In our conversations with patients who use this device, they generally think (after many months of listening and counseling visits to the dispensing audiologist) that it is slightly helpful.

The general idea that listening to something that gives you pleasure and sounds somewhat like your tinnitus may "desensitize" you to your tinnitus, seems reasonable to us. On the other hand, we are not sure why one should have to pay $5000 for an Ipod with a single song. It would seem to us that given that this approach is useful, a do-it-yourself strategy might work equally well for a small fraction of the cost. What you would need to do here is to have an audiologist do "tinnitus matching", to find out what you are trying to duplicate, and also have someone look at the frequency content of music that you want to listen to 24/7, to make sure that it overlaps with your tinnitus.

In general, whether you are considering buying a "Neuromonics" device, a magnetic or electrical device or ultrasound generators, we advise extreme caution in situations where someone suggests to you that an extremely expensive device, with an unclear principle of action, may cure your tinnitus. There is a very long history of placebos for subjective complaints such as dizziness and tinnitus. As the Romans said, "caveat emptor" (buyer beware!).

I found this on the dizziness and balance website.  All I have really seen on the subject.

4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 11:40:09 am »
I don't think this treatment would work on the tinnitus of a post AN dead ear.. I have a call in to House Clinic to check
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05