Author Topic: Starting to Get Headaches  (Read 10351 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Starting to Get Headaches
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:30:53 am »
Okay, so I have been getting these wierd little 5-10 minute headaches for about the last 3 weeks.  They come 5 o4 6 times a day, sometimes more often.  They are not crippling, but as someone who has never suffered from headaches they are annoying and distracting.  They seem to be located around my temple/lower forehead and stronger on the AN side than the other side.   I am about 5 months post op.  Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I am seeing Dr. Roland next Monday and this is on my list for him - but any wisdom in the interim would be helpful!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Starting to Get Headaches
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:52:48 am »
Debbi -

I had something very similar around 10 months post op.  In my case it just turned out to be stress.

This might not be your issue; just my experience.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:57:51 am »
That is so strange Debbi, I just said to my husband I think I have a head ache. It has come a couple of times around my temples and the front of my head. Kind of weird for me because I had pain (throbbing and at times stabbingpain) from my AN behind my ear and up my head never really a head ache. Oh and years ago my GP said AN's don't cause pain so not to worry that I had one, hmmmmmmm really?  :o :o
Maybe you have been doing too much lately? I think my little headaches are my bodies way of reminding me to slow down I am not four months post op yet.
Tiger balm is great and a product called Head On is good too, you rub it on your head and it feels good.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:33:30 am »
Michelle,

Your GP doesn't know what he's talking about!!!  Sorry, but I live with headaches like you and Debbi describe on a daily basis.  If I didn't take Neurontin and Toradol I think I'd be suicidal.
Both drugs keep the pain tolerable most days.

Take care, both of you!
Anne Marie 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Trackman

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:55:26 am »
I am 7 months post op, and started to have slight headaches the past month. Nothing significant.  It is located around my temple and eye and only on the AN side. I have appointment with my Dr on 10/6. Also, for about 4 months, I have had night “sweatsâ€? when I lay on the non AN side. The pillow is completely wet, sleep on the AN side nothing, roll over on the non AN side, the pillow is completely wet again. Every night, every time. Get my 7 month MRI results Monday, provide no new findings, I can live with the stange occurrences.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 12:49:44 pm »
Just in case either of you are starting to succumb to what is called "the syndrome" I'd advise you both to start keeping a headache journal--where you get them , what time of day, how long they last, intensity on a scale of 1-10, any specific triggers ( exercise, activity, stressors, weird foods, ) just in case you end up having to get some help with them down the road.  Remember that most of us with "the syndrome" didn't develop it until months after our surgeries. I really hope you don't have to follow us down that road!

Capt Deb

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:53:23 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Melissa778

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 01:57:20 pm »
Debbi,

I too had these headaches several weeks ago....I think we had surgery around the same time as well.  Anyhoo, I went ot the doc and he seemed to think it may have been some nerves trying to "re-fire" and some of the feeling coming back to that general area......he gave me some steroid injections along my scar and in the general area of the headaches.....it's helped tremendously.  I still get headaches....just not as frequently.

Hoping I'm not getting  a yucky case of scar neuroma....my scar/incision site is where i have most pain and trouble...but I dont' know much about scar neuroma.  Doc wants to wait to discuss until after my GK in a few weels :) Crossing my fingers.

Best of luck, let us know what your doc thinks...

Melissa 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:04:18 pm by Melissa778 »
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 04:02:09 pm »
Very helpful, everyone!  I am seeing Dr. Roland on Monday and will discuss with him.  In the meantime, I had an appointment with my regular GP today and he thinks, based on what I described, that it might well be my nerves re-firing.  We'll see what Dr. R has to say.  Great suggestion, Deb, on keeping a journal - I will start that immediately.  I've been trying to really pinpoint the pain - and realized that it is quite difficult to describe pain in any way that would be meaningful to anyone else.  So, I am trying to isolate exactly where it hurts, for how long, etc.  The past week or so, I've been waking up in the morning with headaches, which go away fairly quickly - and I am usually laying on my AN side when this happens. 

Has anyone here tried Ultram?  It is a (new, I think) non-opiate pain reliever for chronic pain.  My doc gave me a sample pack to try.  I am getting concerned about taking so much ibuprofin, and Tylenol doesn't seem to work.  So, he suggested I try this for a few days and see if it helps. 

I find it interesting that the "syndrome" doesn't start until later with some people - and I fervently hope I am not one of them!   :P 

Trackman, strange about the night sweats.  I get them, but I am 52 and know exactly why I'm getting them!  Unfortunately, doesn't matter what side I sleep on.   ;D

Jan, stress - what's that????? ;D ;D

Melissa, I am not sure I know what scar neuroma is - but I am quite sure I don't want it!

Michelle - my headaches are also focused in the temple and forehead area, which may support the whole notion of returning nerves.  Of course, that has yet to translate to a blink or a forehead wrinkle!!

Anne Marie, you are always in my thoughts as I know you suffer terribly from headaches.
2.4 cm Right Side AN

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 04:24:04 pm »
Debbi,

Two things that me when I had those headaches: acupuncture and Indocin. I have heard of Ultram recently but I think it is a pretty strong medicine. I sincerely hope that the headaches you have will go away on its own or become manageable!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 07:06:50 pm »
Debbi,

I have a TERRIBLE headache today  :'(  Just hoping to be headache free next weekend when my husband and I are in New York City!  I will be packing ALL of my drugs as I sing I love New York.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 07:14:25 pm »
Great advice Capt Deb!
Anne Marie - I know my GP is a dope, I am the one who asked him if he thought I had an AN. I went misdignosed for 10yrs - no wonder why. :o :o :o In the end it was my persistence that found my AN.
Michelle  :D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:52:14 am »
Ultram in it's generic form is  tramadol and is a mild opiate and is addictive, although not as addictive as hydocodone. (In my headache book under "opiates" it lists ultram and tramadol and is where I got this information.) It depends on who they give it to! Don't let them charge you for Ultram when you can get it in it's generic form of tramadol. Take too much of it and you get into rebound headache syndrome. (This is from experience!) I take it occasionally myself, but try to limit myself to no more than 2-3x a week. Any more than that and I know it's time for another nerve block or time to up my preventative!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:54:39 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »
Great advice, Deb - thanks for the correction on Ultram/tramadol.  My prescription insurance automatically subs generics, which is always helpful.  I took a low dosage (100mg) yesterday and it did help with the overall pain, but it also made me feel a tiny bit woozy (or, maybe it is the change in barometric pressure - who knows?)  Right now, the constant pain in my neck is more problematic than the quicky head-aches, but none of it is fun.

It is getting ready to rain here, which always seems to mess with my balance.  I've sworn off high heels (or even low heels) for the foreseeable future...

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 02:09:12 pm »
Great advice, Deb - thanks for the correction on Ultram/tramadol.  My prescription insurance automatically subs generics, which is always helpful.  I took a low dosage (100mg) yesterday and it did help with the overall pain, but it also made me feel a tiny bit woozy (or, maybe it is the change in barometric pressure - who knows?)  Right now, the constant pain in my neck is more problematic than the quicky head-aches, but none of it is fun.

It is getting ready to rain here, which always seems to mess with my balance.  I've sworn off high heels (or even low heels) for the foreseeable future...

Debbi

Hey (both) Deb's! :)

Been on Tramadol for years (off and on) and as Captn can tell you, I've done well with it for pain control.  Debbi, I believe the lowest dosage is 50mg and it should be noted to not take more than 4 (50 mgs) in a 24-hr period... (I checked with PapaPearl, he's a pharmacist! ;) ).... it can cause extreme upset stomachs, the headaches Captn mentions, etc. Please be careful with it.

I've been on it for over 5 yrs now.... and only take as extremely needed. Works great but please follow physician/pharmacist's recommendations on usage and please do not go beyond.

Ok, off drug pedastal.

xo
Phyl
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:24:53 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 02:21:06 pm »
Hey Deb, really sorry you are now starting to act up---STOP IT!  Tryin to get in on the action huh?

Seriously, have you laid on ice paks for your neck and occipital area?  I know this is pretty benign treatment compared to the "pushers" on here but perhaps freezing that area might shrink the pain?!  If not take it all away, perhaps help it to STOP MISBEHAVING!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear