Author Topic: The Journey Has Begun  (Read 8077 times)

Kiwi Don

Re: The Journey Has Begun
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 06:42:48 pm »
Well I met the Neuro on Wednesday, must have come through the same school as many out there, he's a Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (FRACS) what ever that means, anyway he is by far rhe most practiced surgeon in Auckland, he didn't have much to say so I had to squeeze everthing out of him. The good thing was he told it as is and gave all the options available in NZ.
I had sort of made up my mind before going in of what I wanted but this sealed the deal, so it looks like they are going to do a Translab, there's not much hearing left in the left ear so it's not worth trying to save.
I am down for surgery in 6-8 weeks, dependant on the hospital schedules so won't start hold my breath yet, at least it's a time line.

Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:47 pm »
Don -

well, you definitely want someone with lots of practice, so it sounds like this doc is the way to go.

My neurotologist is the type who tells it like it is - and while I initially found that quite frightening, in the end I realized it was the best approach for him - and me.  I wouldn't have wanted any "surprises" that I didn't know were possibilities going into the surgery.

My surgery left me SSD (single sided deaf) and I opted for a BAHA implant - which I am very fond of.  I don't know if this option exists in NZ, but if does, you should try a demo post op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kiwi Don

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 11:20:33 pm »
Jan,
Once again you are on the button, on meeting the ENT Surgeon Last Month he was all for the trial and and the possibility of of a BAHA.
Initially I was looking at BiCros aid but the BAHA definitely sounds a better option.
Watch this space.
Cheers
Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 06:55:14 pm »
Hi Kiwi, sorry you have to join our group but sounds like you are doing very well with it.  The tinnitis is horrible, did your surgeon say that will improve?  We have another thread going on deviated septums would you happen to have one of those too?  LOL at She who must be obeyed...too funny. Best of luck with your surgery
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:04 am »
Hi Don--

Checking in from NJ, a little belatedly!  Sounds like you are moving forward with things.  Like Jan said, experience is the key in choosing a surgeon - and it sounds like you've found the right guy.  Don't hesitate to get all of your questions answered.  I probably drove my surgeons crazy before my surgery with my relentless and endless questions - however, they patiently and thoroughly answered each one.  I am one of those people who likes to know all the possible outcomes ahead of time, so I feel that I went into this as well prepared as anyone.  Consequently, even though I had a few complications, nothing every really shocked or derailed me.

Sounds like "she who must be obeyed"  :D is a wise woman!  Having a good support system is key.

Let us know how we can help, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com