Author Topic: Surgery after Gamma Knife  (Read 3010 times)

ch3an

Surgery after Gamma Knife
« on: March 31, 2007, 04:14:31 pm »
Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine and can give any insight to issues and challenges with surgery after Gamma Knife.

I had most of a 3.5CM AN removed through Microsurgery in May of 2000.  As a result of that surgery I lost the hearing in my right ear but had no other complications.  In the fall of 2002 a follow up MRI revealed that the remaining piece of the AN, not removed during surgery, had begun to grow. 

I underwent Gamma Knife treatment at NYU in January 2003 to stop the growth of the AN.  The treatment went well with no complications and I assumed that would be the end of my treatment.  I was wrong, MRIs in August of 2006 and March of 2007 have made it clear the AN is growing again. 

The recommendation from the Doctor is to go under the knife again and remove the AN.  That is probably what I will do but I am concerned about surgery after GK and what additional complications that may bring to the table.

Again, any insights would be appreciated.

Bob

Richey

Re: Surgery after Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 05:15:27 pm »
Bob, I have talked to several doctors and they all said that surgery is more difficult after radiation but manageable. I don't know how much difference a previous surgery would make if any.

Good luck

Rich

Derek

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 06:17:57 pm »
Hi Bob...

So sorry that GK has not been successful particularly so after having also been subjected to invasive microsurgery. I just wondered if you had discussed with your neuro whether a second GK treatment or CK would be options for consideration and whether you had considered obtaining a second opinion prior to making your final decision?

Best of luck with whatever option you decide upon.

Derek
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 06:21:30 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:14:51 am »
Hi Bob and welcome.  I have heard about potential facial nerve issues if surgery is done post-radiation (due to potential weakend facial nerve from GK)  but hoping others here more familiar with that will chime in.  I have heard of some CK and FSR failiures that did lead to micro-surgery and have to follow up on Derek's comment about doing CK to help.  I know that those of us that had CK can be re-CK'd again, but not all that sure about doing CK post-GK.

Recommendation:  There is a CK Patient Support website where dr's (radio-oncologists) that do both GK and CK volunteer their time to answer our questions. The link to the forum board is:

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

I'll bet you that if you pose this question there, they can answer from a clinical standpoint of what you are up against.  Dr. Medbury (who volunteers there) performs both GK and CK and I bet he'll give you an answer to help you out... just a suggestion....

I'm sorry you are running into this... but if we can help, well... that's why we're here.

Hang in there.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Betsy

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:47:11 pm »
According to the doctor I saw yesterday (an ENT who focuses on "AN Managment"), radiation makes later surgery "more tedious", but not impossible.  It's not a high-volume AN facility, but he has been part of surgeries where the patient had radiation, then surgery.  I'm new at this, but I'm already suspicious of any medical professional who speaks in absolutes when it comes to ANs.  Best of luck to you.
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009