Author Topic: Second MRI no change  (Read 3949 times)

JGinLA

Second MRI no change
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:04:20 pm »
Dr. Brackmann called me with the results of my second MRI yesterday, my first was 8 months ago when the AN was diagnosed, and the AN has not changed it is still 4 mm. My hearing is in the normal range in both ears and has been for a year and my balance test is 90% on the left AN side. So we decided to wait a year and do another MRI. In the meantime if my symptoms get worse I'm to call him immediately. The doctor emphasized there is a strong possibility I could lose some or all hearing in the left ear by waiting. Of course if I elect surgery he's given me a 25% chance of losing hearing and all balance function will be lost. This is a difficult choice but I've decided to wait for now. One idea I have is to buy computer software that runs a home hearing test so I can do frequent checks of the hearing function in the AN ear to hopefully catch it quickly if my hearing does start to deteriorate. I'd appreciate input on whether anybody else has done something similar and how it worked out. Also suggestions on which software is best would be appreciated.

Jeffery
4mm AN on left side
Diagnosed Sept 2010
Watching and Waiting

Kaybo

Re: Second MRI no change
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »
Glad your MRI was good...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LisaM

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »
You can have periodic hearing tests at HEI.  Do you have insurance?  If so, your insurance should cover the cost if Dr. Brackmann orders the tests.  I'm guessing from your name JFinLA that you reside here in Los Angeles.  Maybe you could have a hearing test every 3 months?  If you have them at HEI you will know they are consistent and done on a professional level. That's my two cents.
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

JGinLA

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:48:05 am »
Lisa,

If you don't mind talking about it I'm interested in your comment about sudden hearing loss  that reversed itself, is that correct? Did you have any symptoms ahead of time, any warning? Was your balance affected at the same time? Did it come all the way back or just partially? Several doctors have told me once hearing is lost it never come back and this is perhaps my biggest fear.

Jeffery
4mm AN on left side
Diagnosed Sept 2010
Watching and Waiting

LisaM

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:36:08 am »
My first round of hearing loss happened in July of 2010.  I woke up one morning and could't hear out of my left ear.  I was using earplugs at the time.  I knew something serious was going on and and made a Dr.s appointment at the clinic that is part of my insurance.  This Dr was pretty casual about the whole thing and told me to take an over the counter drug and call him on Monday (appointment was on Thursday) if there was no change.  There was no change and I called him first thing on Monday and was referred to an ENT.  The ENT diagnosed Sudden Hearing Loss and said that it could be from a virus.  He told me that my hearing would probably return and that I would be OK.  He also added that I should have an MRI to rule out something else.  My hearing returned and I thought, OK, he was right.  It was a virus.  I had it in the back of mind to have the MRI but was sort of waiting for my super industrial strength insurance to kick in (April 2011) and it just really didn't seem that important.

This past March 2011, I had some strange sounds in my ear so I went back to the ENT.  He scolded me for not getting the MRI and I said I'm going ASAP.  Got the MRI and tahdah!  Acoustic Neuroma!  Went into total panic mode for about 2 weeks.  Researching obsessively, I gathered and continue to gather as much information about the subject of ANs as possible.

VERY IMPORTANT:  If you have Sudden Hearing Loss it is important to get on a high dose of steroids ASAP (within 24 hours of the onset, the sooner the better).  At HEI you can call them and they will call in a prescription for you.  It is an emergency and if you can't get a prescription called in, go to an emergency room. 

I had a second round of hearing loss on Mother's Day (May 8th) and was on the steroids within 2 hours.  My high dose was 60 mg of Prednisone for 5 days and a quick tapering off for 5 days.  The day after the onset of the SHL I started aggressive acupuncture treatments while taking the steroids.  A hearing test at HEI 10 days after the SHL indicated that my hearing had slightly improved since a hearing test in March 2011.  Was this from the steroids or the acupuncture?  I don't know.  I'm continuing the acupuncture until July 14th when I have another MRI to see what is  happening inside my head.

I think the ear plugs alerted me to my AN early because they increased the pressure in my ear.  I no longer use plugs and try to avoid anything that will create pressure in my ear.  I sleep with a fan on because of a small level of tinnitus.  Silence is an enemy to tinnitus and will make the tinnitus worse.

Hope this helps.

C'est moi,
Lisa M
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)