Author Topic: Gamma Knife and "happy pills"  (Read 6372 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Gamma Knife and "happy pills"
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:09:40 pm »
Hi again,

I hear most of you saying that you got "happy pills" before you had GK.  Can they put you out all the way instead?  I have a fear that even though I am supposed to be "happy", I will have feelings of regret and want to say STOP.  It takes a lot to put me in the "happy" zone.  One time I woke up during surgery.  Scary to be able to hear everything the docs are saying (like, let's stitch her up now) and not be able to move or talk.  I didn't feel anything though.  The next surgery I told them I woke up before hand, and they put me under more and all was fine.  I don't want to think about anything while I am having this procedure done.  I don't think it would be any different with CK.  And, I have decided that surgery is out of me.  Any ideas?

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Gamma Knife and "happy pills"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:18:18 pm »
Hi Nancy-

I think that if you tell your doctor your concerns, they can probably give you somethign much more substantial than "happy pills".  From a purely personal perspective, I would just as soon be knocked out for just about any procecure.  Heck, I don't even like having my teeth cleaned!   ;D  (don't worry, folks, I may fear the dentist, but I go faithfully twice a year...)

Don't be afraid to voice your concerns to your doctors, Nancy.  It won't be anythign they haven't dealt with before, and they will probably appreciate you being forthcoming with them.  No one wants you to suffer extreme anxiety when it isn't necessary.

Debbi, all in favor of drugs if needed!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

gordy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:03:16 pm »
i was given something right before the mri that im not to sure what it was, but the mri seemed to go pretty quick. the only thing i know is they numbed 4 areas where the screws were bolted. awake through out the gamma knife. i think you need to be awake to lay still when they are zapping you. thats my experience. good luck to you.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 05:40:06 am »
Nancy,

Many reference the "happy pill" (myself included). Many radio docs may give a patient Ativan to help relax the patient just prior to treatment.... help to "curb the edge" as we know many can have the emotional stresses going into any kind of treatment. Works almost along the lines of Valium.... just a little something to help relax, nothing more.  I had it before each my treatments (none needed thereafter)... for me, helped to ease any anxieties I had prior to Cyberknife.

Hope that helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

GRACE1

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:05:58 am »
I keep reading about people getting the "happy pills."  I had GK and did not partake of any such pills.  In fact, they were not offered to me.  I  did not need them.  They did numb the 4 post sites. 
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Nancy Drew

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 10:03:13 am »
I think I would definitely need something to calm me down because that is just my personality type.  Hate to admit it here, but best to be honest I guess, but I became addicted to Ativan many years ago.  It took me over six months to withdraw, and it was a terrible process.  I have a fear of that medication and any medications that are anti-anxiety drugs.  I guess that would be an important thing to mention to my doc.  So, I have aired some dirty laundry now.  I have always been told that I am a "forward" thinker, and I think it is quite obvious that I think of everything that could possibly be a problem.    Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 04:20:43 pm »
Hi Nancy,

It's Sue again!   Okay.  I was given a little white pill.  I must have dumped the info, because I can't find the piece of paper that had that information on it, at the moment.  Your doctors will most certainly give you something, especially when you tell the you are anxious about the procedure.  The pill I had, which may have been ativan, certainly did the job well.  I am assuming that nobody gets "knocked out" entirely.  They do not have anesthesiologists there. This pill makes you relaxed and compliant and you can follow instructions, you can sit up if they need to change the helmet thing they put on your head (not the headframe, but the other thing that has holes in it that the gamma knife beams go into - I think!), you can talk with them,  and you will not be the least bit concerned as to what they will be doing nor will you remember much of your procedure.  You could be dancing the fandango in there, and you won't remember!!  This is a similiar or the same kind of drug that they give you when you get a colonoscopy, which you'll probably get to do someday. From their perspective, you are awake and they can work with you; from your perspective, you will become relaxed and then more relaxed, and then it's very "foggy" and then it's like you're asleep.   They attach all this hardware on you, lay you down on the table, and then they click things into place, bolt you down, whatever it is they do so that you cannot move your head.  This is likely to freak people out, and this is certainly not in you best interest to freak out when radiation is pinpointing a target in your head!  So, the little white pill is a "good thing"!  ;D   It works very quickly, and it starts to wear off after the procedure.  You will likely be a little goofy the rest of the day, depending on your tolerance level, of course.  I went home , ate lunch, took my pills, and passed out in my bed all afternoon.  I don't think I even moved.  I woke up in the exact same position as when I conked out.  I visited with my family, who came and brought a Deli dinner, took my decadron pills, stayed up til midnight, cause I had to take more pills, chatting with my aunt who came to be my caregiver.   I don't really remember much about that either, except the dinner! HA ;)  Didn't really need the caregiver!  The next day, because of the decadron, I was HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY.  Feeling good and loving life.  Of course, NOW, I read that you already know about Ativan, but obviously, the dosage is different.  Nobody could function with what they gave me. I have no idea what else they could do for you...so obviously a long talk with the doctor is needed.  I'll leave my post in, just in case it helps somebody else. 

And Kudos to Grace1, because I think going through this without a sedative would have raised my stress level.  I can do the MRI just fine, so maybe I would have gotten through okay, but that's not the procedure where I was treated. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nancy Drew

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:03:12 pm »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the walk through of gamma knife.  I have watched the videos of GK and CK, and I guess it could be worse.  I do manage to make it through my MRIs without medication.  But, at the same time I know they aren't zapping my AN with radiation that might or might not be effective.  I have a mental health issue that causes me to have severe insomnia.  At one point I was taking Ambien, Halcion and Ativan at high doses at the same time (and a little Unisom on the side), and I had a bugger of a time going to sleep with all of that.  I am now down to two sleep meds--Ambien and Clonazapam (in small doses, and with a bit of Unisom on the side), and I am getting fairly good sleep.  Had to learn a lot of relaxation techniques along the way.  So, I guess if I can "learn" how to sleep on less medication, then I can hopefully "learn" how to calm myself while I am in that GK gizzmo.  Interesting enough is since I have been obsessing about this AN, I am excited to go to sleep at night so I can take a break from "the obsession."  That and losing 10 pounds from worrying have been the two positives to come from this whole situation.  I don't mean to be such a cry baby.  I have a "tiny baby AN" in my head, and I know it is all going to turn out just fine.  Just ready to get from point A to point B and then go from there.  Hopefully I'll get my answer soon.  Thanks for listening.

Nancy 
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

claire1

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 05:19:18 pm »
I don't know about any happy pills but they put an IV line into me and injected  drugs. They didn't have the needle out of the port when I started to feel the effects. I don't drink but it must be the equivillent to a drunk or a high.  I don't have any memory of the screws being put into the four sites of my skull or of the GK itself. I do know one of the nurses said that the cocktail was like an amnesia drug and it must have been because I have a very foggy recollection of the procedure as if it was happening to someone else.  A Great Day was had.(At least that day)

Claire

Nancy Drew

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 05:29:38 pm »
Claire,

I'm asking for what you had.  That sounds good.  A good shot of whisky just makes me throw up otherwise I'd do that!  Surely my doc won't make me suffer.  Maybe they can give me some Diet Coke though that I.V. while they are at it--chocolate wouldn't be bad either.  You just have to try to find some humor in all of this otherwise I think one would go mad.  Thanks for sharing Claire.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 10:31:49 am »
Hi Nancy,

Well, you know...when you think about the fact that we have a 'brainbooger' growing inside our skulls, and the fact that the medical advancements makes cutting a hole out of the side of your skull and digging around in there with sharp instruments unnecessary, in many cases, it's just a miraculous thing. (Yes, I know, it's still a miraculous thing to have a skilled surgeon do micro-surgery also! ;))  And to "only" have to put up with a bit of discomfort for a short period of time, and then this is even alleviated with a drug cocktail, or a little white pill, makes it even more incredible.  If we all lived, well I'll say 125 years ago, but it's probably not as far back as that, our futures would have been a lot more grim, indeed.  Life expectancy was a lot shorter back then, so probably all the people who had AN's died of something else, (TB, Cholera, infection, etc...), but for the few that lived a long life, having an AN would not have been pleasant. 

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nancy Drew

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:59:00 am »
Hi Sue,

I remember now that Ativan used to give me the hic-ups sometimes.  Also what happens if you sneeze while you are in there?  I always wonder if a doc ever sneezes while doing any kind of delicate surgery?  My mind goes crazy . . . . 

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

GRACE1

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 06:48:58 am »
I either coughed or sneezed during GK.  I asked right away if that was OK and the doctor said it was.  It scared me to death, but apparently is was OK.
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Nancy Drew

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 08:24:44 pm »
Grace,

Verrrrrrry good to know! Thanks for the reassurance.  Still would be interested in knowing what happens when a surgeon sneezes during a delicate part of surgery.  Surely there are some operating nurses out there who might have an answer to this question!!!

Nancy

06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 08:37:20 am »
I'm not a nurse, but found this thread of great interest....!  I was given Lorazapam (bad spelling, I'm sure) prior to my first MRI.  It worked a little too well.  I was very groggy and slept most of the day!  So I have no idea what I'll have with GK yet.  If there is an IV, does that interfere at all with being the dreaded tube???  Can you knit or read when they are not busy with you?  Will my husband be able to come in at any time during the GK process?  I'm going to Mayo, soon!   Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn