Author Topic: Help with a CROS hearing aid  (Read 3430 times)

SueLL

Help with a CROS hearing aid
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:30:44 pm »
I am still in the trial period with a Phonak CROS hearing aid.  The microphone is on the back/top of my ear, so I mostly pick up the sound of my eyeglasses hitting the microphone or a scratch to my head.  Yesterday I could hear my daughter velcroing her shoes in the back seat on my AN side, yet I rarely get much sound from someone in front or beside me on the AN side.  My question is - Is this all I should expect from the hearing aid - picking up random sounds behind the microphone?  I do not have controls; the audiologist has to make adjustments.  He says I could receive a broader range of hearing, but I sensed no difference when he last adjusted it.  Are there adjustments that would help?

Thank you for any input!
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

NYLady

Re: Help with a CROS hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:14:01 am »
Hi Sue,

Like you, I also am using the Phonak Cros with my Audeo 70 hearing aid.  I also wear glasses, so I understand what you are talking about.  How good is your hearing in your "good" ear Sue?  I am severely to profoundly deaf in my "good" ear (and cant hear out of the other  :)  Occasionally I pick up the sound you are describing.  When I went to my audio, he felt the wires connecting the dome to the hearing aid and the wire on the CROS were too long and he changed them to a smaller size.  This made some difference as the aid was more firmly in my ear and also anchored by the little plastic piece that fits into your ear lobe.  Also, I have read that the volume on the CROS can be adjusted by the audio, so you might want to inquire about that.  My hearing was so terrible before having these gizmos that the improvement I have had is amazing!  However, I would think if you had pretty good to very good hearing in your good ear, the result might not be as dramatic.  For sure, worth a trip to the audio for further adjustment before your trial runs out.  Would hate to see you give up on them before seeing the maximum benefit they could afford you.  Work with your audio and explain to him what you are experiencing and I am sure that together, you can make them better for you.  Good luck!

NYL

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:19:45 pm »
SueLL,

I also wear glasses and never hear the clicking of the glassing against the hearing aid unless I purposely hit the hearing aid with the eyeglass frame.

Yes, if you scratch your head above the hearing aids you will hear the rustling and the hearing aids were designed to pick up sounds from the side and back. With my old CROS I had trouble hearing other people in the car. With the CROS II, it's a big improvement.

I can't say this enough. The PilotOne remote control device is a very wise investment. It will allow manual programs to be entered into your hearing aids that will allow you to change the programs depending on the circumstances. Otherwise you are destined for on/off and volume. Much more flexibility with the PilotOne.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

SueLL

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:06:36 pm »
Thank you both, NYL and ArizonaJack!  You provided great tidbits to help me with my decision whether to keep the CROS.  Yes, I have learned that the hearing in my good ear is pretty remarkable.  That means I don't need any help most of the time.  It also sounds like if I do opt for a hearing aid that I should invest in all the bells and whistles.  I'll see what the next month of trial brings!

Thanks again!  I will let you know what transpires.
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor