Author Topic: MRI findings 4 months post retro sigmoid surgery  (Read 2490 times)

nclabtech

MRI findings 4 months post retro sigmoid surgery
« on: December 12, 2013, 05:43:59 pm »
Hi, I just received, somewhat alarming, findings 4 months post surgery on my follow up  MRI My AN was 1.2 cm on my in my right IAC. On MRI this week, They see a " small Residual enhancing tumor 5.7x4.0x4.2 mm at the apex of the IAC. Also found residual extradural fluid on the right cerebellum possibly due to the cranioplasty from retro sigmoid craniotomy. Other than constant tinnitus in my right ear, I do not exhibit symptoms.
Have any of you had these type of findings ? Since it is only 4 months post op, can it be scar tissue ?
My surgeon , dr Fukushima, is out of the country until mid- January . Does this mean my AN is growing back already ? I welcome your input. Thank you
Right 8 mm AN diagnosed 5/7/13. Some hearing loss, facial numbness, tinnitus.
Retrosigmoid surgery scheduled for 7/26/13. Dr Fukushima Duke Raleigh, NC
Retrosigmoid surgery 7/26 right 1.2cm AN, retained useful hearing, no facial deficits, constant tinnitus.

LakeErie

Re: MRI findings 4 months post retro sigmoid surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:33 pm »
You must have had an MRI immediately post-surgery to document the complete removal you claimed in a previous post. Can you compare the reports of the MRI's?
If you had no post-surgery MRI, how did the surgeon determine a complete removal? Doesn't your surgeons office have an experienced nurse practitioner you can speak to and address thus issue? Or a surgical ass't listed on your operative report?

4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

nclabtech

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:36:27 am »
My surgeon has an office manager whom I contacted. He doesn't have an assistant to speak with. A post surgery MRI was not done, I'm not certain exactly why it wasn't done and you are right , without that one cannot truly be certain that total removal occurred . I was just going on what the surgeon said to me and my family. He is a bit different than most surgeons, especially those affiliated with large medical centers where there is a team of people on staff. He is in practice solely by himself.
Thanks
Retrosigmoid surgery 7/26 right 1.2cm AN, retained useful hearing, no facial deficits, constant tinnitus.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:23:32 am »
I had retrosig and never had an "immediate" post op MRI.  My first post op MRI was done 1 year after my surgery.

My docs (neurotologist/neurosurgeon) told me after surgery that my AN was removed entirely; entirely being a subjective word.  When a doc tells you that your AN is removed entirely or completely, that means that to the best of his/her knowledge it was removed entirely/completely.  Docs aren't Gods; they do their best but they can't guarantee you anything.

AN surgery is a very "close" surgery, done through a small window of the skull using a microscope.  The AN isn't cut out; it is peeled away layer by layer.  Docs do their best, but even one cell left behind has the potential to grow.

Anyway, back to the issue @ hand.  Your best bet is to talk to Dr. Fukushima even if you have to wait til mid-January.  Speculating about your MRI results may be causing you needless worry, and while those of us on this Forum can give you our two cents worth about the situation, (with the rare exception of a few Forum members) we are not doctors.

If you do have regrowth this early, or a portion of your AN wasn't removed, radiation may be an option.

Deep breath,

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nclabtech

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:08:27 pm »
Thank you Jan. I will take a deep breath and wait to speak with Dr Fukushima. Thanks so very much:)
Cherie