Author Topic: Dent in my head  (Read 17550 times)

alwaysthere

Dent in my head
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:23:26 am »
I have developed a dent behind my ear where my surgery was. It doesn't hurt or anything, but I was wonering if anyone else has had this happen. It's big enough that my thumb fits in it pretty good. My head and ear are still very tender even after 4 1/2 months. but I figured that was normal.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: Dent in my head
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:25:11 am »
Patty,
I also have a dent behind the ear.  It took almost 6 months for the swelling to go away and when it was gone the dent was there.  Dr. said that the fat that they use to fill the hole doesn't always completely fill the hole.  Unless it is painful I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm no expert so I would aslo say ask your Dr. the next time you see him.  From my experience it sounds like everything is normal for 4 1/2 months post OP.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 04:47:57 am »
Patty,

I think it must be pretty normal.  I have a "dent" also, but mine is tender, which amazes me because I have no feeling on that side of my head or neck except where the dent is!!  The area where the  bow of my glasses hits, hurts.  So much so that I am looking into contacts once again.  I've tried them a couple of times before, unsuccessfully, but hey third time is a charm so I am hoping it will be for me!!
I asked my doctors about my dent and was told that the skull didn't close as they hoped it would because of swelling of my brain, that the steroids didn't help because I couldn't take them long enough (I developed a severe case of thrush).  I figured it was just an answer to get me off their backs.  I'm hoping you will ask your doctor and post his or her answer!

Good luck,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

TP

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:54 am »
My dent behind my ear is about 2 inches long and a little over 1/2 inch deep for most of the 2 inches. It does not hurt at all. Although when I sleep on that side it sometimes is irritating.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 07:37:47 am »
I have a dent, also.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 07:43:03 am »
Me too!  I always refer to it as "the crater".  Last time I was at the hair salon, a new woman was shampooing my hair and I forgot to warn her.  When she got to that part of my head, she got a very concerned look on her face and yanked her hand away - I'm pretty sure she thought she'd broken my head!   :D

My dock also says it is perfectly normal and has something to do with the fat.  Jeez, why can't the fat in my butt get smaller???

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 07:44:16 am »
Patty,
I also have a dent behind the ear.  It took almost 6 months for the swelling to go away and when it was gone the dent was there.  Dr. said that the fat that they use to fill the hole doesn't always completely fill the hole.  Unless it is painful I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm no expert so I would also say ask your Dr. the next time you see him.  From my experience it sounds like everything is normal for 4 1/2 months post OP.

Dan in Germany

Patty,

Many docs, but not all correct the defect caused by drilling with titanium mesh/plates or other means -- this is called a cranioplasty and  is often done in addition to filling the voice left by surgery with a fat graft.  It is also standard operating procedure to just do the fat graft, seal the bone and close the surgical site, and many docs do this.  Those patients who don't have the cranioplasty (and maybe some who do?) end up with an indentation behind their ear.  Unless you have problematic symptoms, this is normal.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

alwaysthere

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:50:06 am »
Thanks for the replys. Debbi, you made my day with what you said. I just laughed and laughed. Sounds like something I would say. Thanks for the pick me up this morning.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:50:23 am »
I have fat, mesh, and a plate - but still have a dent.  It doesn't bother me though and no one but me and my hairdresser know it's there.

Funny story, Debbi  ;D  I just had a new hairdresser a couple of months ago and I didn't want to surprise her so I showed her my BAHA abutment prior to the shampoo.  I thought she'd fall over dead with shock.  She kept asking me if it was okay to get it wet - like I haven't been washing my hair for the past 20 months  :D

Patty, forgot to say that the tenderness @ 4 1/2 months is perfectly normal.  Although I just had numbness that seemed to last forever, some have tenderness.  Time heals; one of these days the tenderness will leave you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:54 am »
Yes, count me in with a dent in the head. More like a golf divot  ;D  I had the titanium mesh and head Spackle, no fat graft, and there is a slight indentation on the far side of my scar. Most people can not notice it even when I point it out to them. Doc said it healed fine and that is it.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:11:57 am »
Dont think I have a dent in the head...ENT tried to find the hole and couldnt....They put fat in hole, and sewed me up....no mesh no bone plaster, Not sure if they put bone back in...still have to ask neurosurgeon when i see him in 3 weeks...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:56 am »
I have quite a crater of a dent too since had the translab and then the CSF leak surgery.         I always add that the CSF leak was due to the hospitals use of a new gel product and 3 people got leaks so went back to the one they used before.      
We forgot  to have a biggest dent contest at the symposium!          Darn!             It bothers me to wash that area as just feels so weird!                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:16:06 am »
I am dented too.  It doesn't hurt and isn't tender, but it's a pain in the neck when I put on my glasses.  That top of that ear is closer to the side of my head and I can't just slide my glasses on - I have to kind of maneuver them over and behind that ear.  Really, not a big deal, but when you walk out into the bright sun and have your hands full and want to just quickly slide on your sunglasses, it can be a small inconvenience.

Yet another weird thing we have to live with that most people don't!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Raven

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:50:29 am »
Me too, actually I have a dent on both sides, I can feel them but really can't see them. Off topic - got my six month MRI last Friday, go back to my Dr. this Friday. I feel pretty good and can hear (in my only hearing ear) well but needless to say I'm a little nervous. I will report back Friday.

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

texsooner

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 09:05:31 am »
I'm dented too....about a 2 inch long divot. No fat(in head), but have titanium mesh.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.