Author Topic: I'm Back  (Read 2295 times)

alwaysthere

I'm Back
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:40:02 pm »
It's been awhile and I've missed all of you. I haven't felt like getting on the computer much till now. My surgery was June 25th and everything went great. I can still hear out of my left ear and that initself is good news. I got out of the hospital on the 29th and left for home on the 30th. I first day on the road was the worse day of my life. The motions and dry heaves were gut wrenching to say the least. The second day went good. But at 6:15am that morning we received a call that a very good friend had been killed the evening before in a tragic accident. He was on his way to meet his family at a resturant on his motorcycle when a dumptruck in the outside lane decided that he was going to turn left and right in front of him. Bad part was it was about a block from the resturant and of course the family got to the  accident. He didn't have a broken bone in his body. It lacerated his liver and he bled out. Nothing could have stopped that. Tragic as he was only 49 and his grandson was bron 7 weeks ealy on Sat and he was there and got to hold the baby. Things do happen for a reason.

Anyway, I've been doing good. That is till yesterday. I came out of surgery with much problems with my face. Yesterday that started to change. Now I can't close my eye without pushing it closed and my face  drupes bad. I called the Mayo clinic and they said that this happends in very few cases, but are calling it Bell's Palsey and now I am back on steroids in heavy doses. Pain has not been a problem and really don't take anything. Dramamine is now my new best friend and probably will be for awhile. Sure helps with the motion sickness.

I go back up to Rochester in 3 months to see the Dr's, get an MRI and have a hearing test to see just how much I did lose. But as of right now I feel it was all a success, even though they didn't get all of it. 1-2% left is not bad.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

Cheryl R

Re: I'm Back
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 02:02:27 pm »
Patty, I know you are very happy to be home.        That was a long ride from Rochester.            I looked at your status updates as always like to know how it is going for everyone.            Now comes the time to feel better and that takes longer than we think it should.                Do you have good lubricants for the eye as that is a very important care to keep up on now.       
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and not at a good time to have other sadness going on now too.   
Take good care of yourself now!                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:52:01 pm »
Hi, Patty ~

Thanks for posting an update.  I'm sorry to learn you've had to endure a set-back in your recuperation (Bell's Palsy setting in) but otherwise, it seems as if you're having a good recovery.  I hope you can retain most of your hearing, which seems like a reasonable possibility, now.  I'm sure the Bell's palsy will eventually resolve.  It usually does, and the medications will help.   

The accidental death of your friend in a motorcycle accident, at age 49, was certainly terrible.  His family must be devastated.  They'll be in my prayers (and those of others, I'm sure).   

I agree that your surgery was a success and I trust your recovery will be, too.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cin605

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 06:04:58 pm »
Welcome back!Hope you feel better soon.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:01:50 pm »
Patty -

great to see you back.  We missed you too.

Sorry to hear about the Bells Palsy; hopefully it will improve in time.  A colleague of mine was diagnosed with it about a year ago and he's done phenomenally.

So sorry to hear about your family friend.

Prayers,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:05:40 pm »
Hey Patty and great to hear from you. I'm thrilled to hear the surgery went well (re: your AN) and hoping that things calm down for you soon... I'm sending continued wellness wishes your way and will continue to follow along to see how you are doing.

Welcome to Postiehood and take care of yourself... hang tough!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keri

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:47:15 pm »
Hi Patty,
It is good to hear from you! I hope you continue to recover and the Bell's gets better.
I too am so sorry about your friend.
Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!