Author Topic: Picture Of A Headache  (Read 1766 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Picture Of A Headache
« on: October 04, 2008, 06:34:26 am »
I have gotten 6 comments about my avatar picture over last couple weeks and don't remember if
I had posted a larger version of it and too lazy to dig through my posts to see  :) ...

So a little history on it and a bigger veiw...

I had been having migraine headaches for several years on left side of head... the part in my hair
was a dividing line ... no pain on right side just left ... in June of 2004 my then 5 year old brought
me this picture and said it was what I looked like with a headache...

August 12 I woke up with some numbness and a droop to right side of my face and fearing a mini
stroke my doctor sent me straight to the hospital and an MRI ... several days later I got a call from his
nurse and she told me that he wanted me to see an ENT...something about my sinuses...

I get to the ENTs office and as soon as he walked in holding my chart he said "So you have a brain tumor .
We'll have to see about getting it out"  :o he thought I knew and was just coming for more information...
after picking my jaw up off the ground and poked eyes back in my head I asked questions and drove home
in shock... I go in thinking thought I had something going on in my nose and came out with a brain tumor

later , when I confronted the nurse on her letting me walk in to that meeting blind , told me that she hates
to tell patients bad news ...  >:(  ...I would have rather heard it from someone I knew and not had to drive an
hour back home , alone , with all the things swirling through my head ...

but on hearing what he said my thoughts were of my child's drawing of me ... even though the red spot is
on the left side in the drawing and my tumor was on right it was so eerie ... I sat there trying to listen to
what that first ENT was telling me but my mind was going back to Sarah's sketch of Mom with a headache

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Picture Of A Headache
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:59:44 am »
Eerie; perhaps Sarah is psychic.

Either that or it's just a huge coincidence.

Whichever it is, it really makes you wonder.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 02:44:51 pm »
Soundy,
My personal feeling is that kids are very sensitive and can tune into this kind of thing.  They don't have a lot of junk clogging up their brains at this age.  I'd say even though she couldn't articulate what she saw, she might have seen something.  Spooky but possible.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 03:05:19 pm »
Soundy:

The cubist, Picasso-like sketch of 'mommy', by your daughter, Sarah, demonstrates precociousness, considering she is only 5 years old.   I think we're all impressed.  While she may or may not be psychic, she is certainly perceptive in a way some children are, whatever the reason.

Your experience with the ENT and the nurse that 'didn't want to give patients bad news' is classic human fecklessness.  On hindsight, which is always perfect, the doctor should have asked the PCP if you knew the MRI scan showed a tumor or at least asked you if your PCP had informed you of the MRI results, before he blurted out the 'tumor' comment.  If the ENT doctor's nurse didn't want to tell you about the AN, she should have told the doctor that you didn't know so he would have been prepared.  I maintain that people in the medical field should be equipped to deal with this kind of situation and apparently, some aren't.  Their error - but your loss.  I'm sorry that happened to you. 

Give your daughter Sarah a hug for us - and save her drawings, they might be worth big money some day.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:41:27 am »
Now 4 years later and 9 years old , Sarah is still tuned in to other people and can judge when someone is
coming down with something before they are showing signs of being sick... she had been saying my mom
looked too tired last fall and something was wrong with Granny ... in November Mom was diagnosed with
breast cancer... she is an odd little bird , but I'll keep her

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 02:48:42 pm »
Soundy,
Some children have a special sense about these things, as your daughter clearly does.  I didn't tell my son (20 years old) about the tumor right away but he kept asking what was wrong, grilling his dad, until finally we told him.  He later explained that he just "knew" something was wrong.  Call it intuition or whatever, it is real.  Yeah, a little quirky but we love them anyway, don't we?
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.