Author Topic: how many diagnosed under 30?  (Read 7862 times)

windinthesails

how many diagnosed under 30?
« on: October 06, 2006, 11:26:59 pm »
I am just curious, my AN (4cm on the right side) was diagnosed right before my 23rd birthday and it made me wonder how many ppl are diagnosed before they are 30? Also what stuff did you do to cope and get on with life?
4cm AN on Right Side
Partial Surgery 3/22/06, Gamma Knife 6/25/06
Sutter Cancer Center Sacramento, Dr. Ciricillo Neurologist

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
Re: how many diagnosed under 30?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:41:30 am »
i was diagnosed with a 4.8 cm tumor on the right side when i was 17.  I had surgery 3 days later.  I couldn't research at all because the surgeon didn't know if it was cancerous or benign until he got in there and sent some of it to the lab.  Boy i was in quite a surprise when i woke up.  So how are you doing? Does your face move?
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 06:08:41 am »
I was diagnosed just after my 23rd birthday (had been trying to get "diagnosed" for about 4 years before that, that is to say had symptoms).
How did I "cope" with it?
There was no time to "cope" pre-op, I was in the OR within something like two weeks.
Post-op I just stumpled through it all.
 I fell into depression and PTSD and didn't get treatment until about two years later for that.
It was only my own "internal, natural" coping mechanisms that got me through it all I guess.....I was raised that you just "carry on" and that's what I did.
I returned to work, full time, around 3 1/2 months and thanks to my co-workers I did OK (they helped me out more than I realised I'm sure), I just ignored the vertigo and just kept turning my head to help myself hear.
I went for the hypoglossal transfer surgery about April and was off work for 6 weeks then just "carried on" and returned to work.
I had a very hard time with the way my face looked and tended to isolate myself somewhat but my friends got me "out there" and I returned to all my normal activities.
My self esteem took a great blow and so did my decision making skills in my personal life, I blame my first marriage on that (married someone who was a creep). It was like I wasn't seeing things clearly in my "personal life" for a number of years......the fog eventually cleared up though.
I didn't have any connection to anyone who had gone through this, I did go to a ANAC meeting once but it was just a business type meeting and I didn't "get anything" out of it other than seeing the faces of others "the same as mine", I did start to get the newletter and read it all the time (over and over) and found it comforting that others suffer the same as I.
When I look back I wonder too how I coped, my friends and co-workers tell me how well I coped. The first two or three years post-op seem like a bad dream now so to speak, some days it feels like it happened to someone else not me and other days it feels like it was just yesterday.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 08:35:53 am »
I was diagnosed at 40 but...about  two months after my surgery one of my son's friends was diagnosed, had her surgery, and I just saw her picture in the paper bending down to wash a car with the swim team from school.  My son said she struggled the first few months back at school but this year seems to be back to normal.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 09:48:08 am »

they found mine at 40 .. but now that I understand the effects... I should of found it my 20's .. I think it was small then .. my hearing was ok, but I did start having tinnitus (on my AN side) and stange twitches on my face, (on my AN side) lasting only a sec or two once in a blue moon .. I started having trouble with my contact lens .. getting red eye etc...(on my AN side!!)  I stopped wearing in my 30's ...
  the last couple years, the AN I'm sure had a growth spurt for some reason, and I started having trouble, (mainly my hearing and balance) the MRI showed it to be 3.9 cm's .. and Dr. Hits after the surgery said it was larger than 4+cm ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 10:23:02 am »
Mine  was finally diagnosed at age 45. I had been searching for an answer to my symptoms for  around 10 years.  At 7 years pre diagnosed, the ENT just wrote it off to tinnitus and didn't order an MRI. At 4 years pre diagnosed  after an MRI it was misdiagnosed as a blood clot, and after an angiogram and they didn't find a clot, It was dismissed. I went 4 more years until I got to the right Doc's. They told me it had probably been there 20+ years.

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

chelsmom

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 11:14:46 am »
Hi,
My daughter was diagnosed in June at 17 years old.  Turned out to be 6cm.  After three months in the hospital and home now for 3 weeks she seems to be is coping well.  They put her on a low does of Prozac while she was in the hospital but took her off if it the other day.  The psychiatrist felt that she was doing well and that if she started having any signs of depression to come see him again.  I thiink it's too early to tell how she will eventually feel and cope with all this. She still has to go through 6 weeks of radiation (30 treatments) and when that is over and she starts to return to her normal life I'm sure she'll have to learn all about coping skills that one doesn't know even exists until they are faced with such a challange in their life.

Michelle   

windinthesails

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 05:04:15 pm »
Hi Everyone,
   I know I have been really lucky in many respects, my face shows barely any recognition that I even had a problem (and unless you knew what to look for you wouldnt know it) and i loss the hearing on my right side but my other ear works perfect, I was lucky enough to get to take the year off from school at not loose my spot in physical therapy program and I have great family and friends. It is also good to know that I am not as alone as everyone makes it seem like when you are first diagnosed. So hearing from each one of you has been helpful and I want to thank you for responding.
4cm AN on Right Side
Partial Surgery 3/22/06, Gamma Knife 6/25/06
Sutter Cancer Center Sacramento, Dr. Ciricillo Neurologist

Chris

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 05:21:31 pm »
Hi,
I was diagnosed at 44 yrs old but they said I have had it for 20+ years. Now I look back and remember the fatigue and slow loss of hearing but I brushed those symptoms off at the time, I even made a joke of them.
Regards
Chris
2.5cm AN diagnosed late 2005 and treated with fractionated stereotactic radiation in Sydney Australia Oct 2005

jerseygirl

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 09:15:47 pm »
Hi,

I had surgery right after my 25th birthday for 6x3x3 cm AN which was discovered accidentally since I had no headaches, tinnutis or any loss of hearing. All my nerves were spared, but the surgery left me with the right-sided weakness (If I don't exercise, I still get a frozen shoulder), severe tinnutis (resolved over the years thanks to Gingko Biloba),SSD (fully adjusted),  intractable headaches (took 10 years to resolve) with nausea and vomiting, mild nystagmus, constant scar pains (I had retrosig). I also had aseptic meningitis and normal pressure hydrocephalus which necessitated a shunt. After 3.5 months I went to work but found it difficult to  get through the day and had little energy to do anything afterwards. Unfortunately, I got pregnant a year after surgery, and that was awful. My headache lasted 5 months. I was so tired that I went to bed at 7 PM! There was no medicine I could take for fear of harming a baby; acupuncturists did not want to touch me because of a potential lawsuit if I miscarried. The doctors thought the tumor was back and at 17 months pregnant I had MRI (negative).  After I delivered, I lost all the pregnancy weight in 3 weeks and then some. The post-partum depression hit me like a rock. It was absolutely the worst I ever felt in my life and I cannot even compare it to any post-surgery blues. Prozac worked really fast and also got rid of all the flashbacks to my surgery period and nightmares about it. My headaches did not really improve, but somehow I was able to focus on the positive and grin and bear all the pain and discomfort.  It took 5 more years to bring them down to manageable levels and for 3 more to dissapear completely. In short, it took me 10 years to heal, only to find out that the tumor is back. I have been watching it for 8 years and plan to have another surgery sometime next summer. I have to say, these past 8 years have been pain and discomfort free. I am now 43 and hope my next surgery will be a lot easier to deal with.

It is never the right time to get sick or get AN bit I do feel as though I have lost 10 most energetic years of my life to it. At that time I did not know anybody my age going through any illness, let alone brain surgery. In 40's people start accumulating medical conditions. Some of my neighbors (approx. my age)  had breast cancer, thyroid cancer,etc. Soon I will be telling them my story, so I don't feel so singled out anymore. Back in 1988, I could only dream of a place where I could get so much relevant information and support all at once! Thanks everybody for the willingness to share!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

stein78

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 02:41:00 pm »
I was diagnosed at 26 and had surgery just before my 27th birthday.  It's tough to forget about it and go on like nothing happened.  I still feel that I don't have the energy I had before surgery and I still have some buzzing in my AN ear, but other than that I feel great.  I do everything I did before surgery and then some.  I always told my wife that I was looking forward to the days that I would forget about everything.  However, I can honestly say that I think I've had only one or two days where I haven't thought about it.  I'm sure with time it will only get better.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Dfcman

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 04:13:42 pm »
Yes, I was diagnosed this April with a 5+ cm tumor...Just before my 23rd birthday.  Tell me more about things. Like when and if they did surgery already?  What were you told?  What kind of complications do you have?
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Dfcman

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 04:16:38 pm »
sorry meant to say my 22nd b-day
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 02:09:03 pm »
I was diagnosed at age 28, had surgery a week after my 29th birthday. Just had the two year anniversary of my first surgery on Saturday 10/7

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 02:34:50 pm »
  I had the opportunity to talk to a young man who was diagnosed and surgically treated when he was 15 with a large (5+ cm) AN.  He was back in school and doing great.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW