Author Topic: Newbie to forum...Greetings  (Read 5689 times)

GailN

Newbie to forum...Greetings
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:24:23 pm »
Hello,

I have just learned of this site and forum through a "House club member", aka patient who just had her AN surgery and her family, while staying at Seton Guest Center, St Vincent Hospital, Los Angeles. Seems like an awesome resource and I hope to visit often. I had my AN translab surgery on 5/13 and was discharged on 5/22 after a slightly prolonged stay due to CSF leak and lumbar drain. I was doing well but then developed left leg swelling and pain, went to ER and was diagnosed with DVT in my left groin. So was allowed to treat with self-administered Lovenox injections and Coumadin as outpatient while staying here at Seton near the hospital, hoping and praying that I would not have any further complications and be stable to travel home to Atlanta. Well, I just got the call from the MD office letting me know my labwork showed I am "therapeutic" as far as anticoagulation is concerned and he gave me the thumbs up to travel home tomorrow. I am so relieved and looking forward to beginning this next chapter in the healing process. God bless all of you who support each other going through AN diagnosis, treatment and recovery. Gail
2.7cm left AN
Translab surgery 5/09 by Dr House & Dr Schwartz, House Ear Institute
Successful facial nerve preservation
CSF leak, lumbar drain x 5 days
DVT post-hospital discharge, Coumadin
Headaches

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Newbie to forum...Greetings
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:34:40 pm »
Gail .....

Welcome to our exclusive group of ANers!  (Well, actually we have some others that we welcome, as well!!)  Sorry you had to have an AN, but so glad you found out about the site.  You will find a loving, caring, and most of all sympathetic group of people here ..... willing to talk about any questions, etc. you may have.

It sounds like you've had quite a ride so far.  Take it easy on your way home tomorrow and then plan to rest, rest, rest when you get home.

Keep posting as you can and let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:39:53 pm »
Hi Gail!
Glad you found us - feel free to jump right in and visit or ask questions!  We have all either been there or had someone close to us go thru this so no question is off-limits!  Glad you are doing better and able to go home now.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 04:21:13 pm »
Hi, Gail - and welcome!  :)

Sorry you had an acoustic neuroma but glad you're recovering, now, after the post-op complications. Thanks for posting! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cjtender

• My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:29:50 pm »
sorry you had complications but glad you are on your way to the brighter side....I had my surgery on 4/28 and then ended up back in hospital with lunbar drain also....i wish you a quick recovery
Patty  34 , RN ,  Dx with 3x2cm (plum grape) size AN on 3/6/2009 and ALL  removed-- retosigmoid on 4/28/09 with Selesnick/Gutin at SLoan Kettering in NYC

Lilan

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:27:51 pm »
Greetings, Gail!

Was your friend at Seton the lovely Alicia, by any chance?  :)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 05:54:31 pm »
Gail: have a safe & wonderful trip home.
As the saying goes,  "there's no place like home"
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:06:39 pm »
Gail -

I hope you visit often, too.

Welcome to the forum  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 05:13:40 am »
Hi Gail!  Sorry you had to join this club, but so glad you found the Forum! 
I am here with my sister - yes, we both have an AN!

Hope you have a good trip home.
Best wishes for continued healing.

Welcome, welcome!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 04:22:08 pm »
Hi Gail - just checking up,

Hope all is well ..... 
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 05:22:12 pm »
Hi, Gail and Welcome!  Glad you've found out about us, wish you had known about us sooner as I live here in Atlanta (Cumming) and am also a recent House alumni.  But, we can catch up now and perhaps meet at some point.  We just had an Atlanta Support Group meeting last weekend!

I'm going to send you a PM with my contact info and some further info about the area support group.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 05:06:03 pm »
Hello Gail,
Welcome to the forum!  :)  Glad to hear you're feeling better now and that you're going home. Nothing's like home! I'm 15 days post-op today and I'm feeling quite alright, but I didn't have to deal with the issues post-op that you had to. I hope everything will go on just fine now and that you'll heal quickly. Please, post and let us know how you're doing, but don't remember to rest and take it easy when you're home.

All the best to you from Helene in Sweden
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

GailN

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »
Hey, thanks everyone for the greetings and encouragement! Just getting around to checking in on this site, so was thrilled to get all the replies to my initial post. Have now been home a week and am doing well with exception of daily headaches and recently diagnosed liver enzyme elevation on labwork done at my post hospital followup with my local PCP. Turns out I have been taking several meds/herbals all processed by liver with potential interactions/toxicity issues...Tylenol-based pain meds, Ambien, Liipitor and black cohosh (herbal Menopause Support product). Wow, it just goes to show you that less really is more when it comes to meds and not to discount potential of herbal supplements. So now I am trying to get by on one Extra-Strength Tylenol 2x/day and a Darvocet at night for these dull occipital headaches...hopeful the labs will show improvement next week. I am trying to rest but it is really hard! Thanks for the reminders of the importance of REST after AN surgery:)

Blessings to all,
Gail
2.7cm left AN
Translab surgery 5/09 by Dr House & Dr Schwartz, House Ear Institute
Successful facial nerve preservation
CSF leak, lumbar drain x 5 days
DVT post-hospital discharge, Coumadin
Headaches

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 04:07:58 pm »
Gail~
The most important thing is to "Listen to your Body!!" - rest when it says to!!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 08:10:15 pm »
Gail ......

I can empathize with the elevated liver enzymes.  Finally figured out that apparently my body is very sensitive to Tylenol.  If I take even 2 extra strength Tylenol a day, along with the Voltaren XR I take for arthritis, my enzymes shoot way up.  Since the enzymes come back down when I do not take it, my gastroenterologist is not concerned.  He has told me to reserve taking the Tylenol unless I really need it.  Hopefully that is your situation, as well.  Just keep track of it.  Soon the headaches should lessen and therefore you will be able to reduce what you have to take for relief.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011