Author Topic: small victory  (Read 5165 times)

Tamara

small victory
« on: July 19, 2008, 07:22:41 pm »
My dear Forumites,
  Just wanted to share my small victory with you.  I am 5 weeks post op.  On Thursday, I drove about 300 miles to my sons' Boy Scout camp in northern Wisconsin.  Thursday night, their troop has a special gathering around the "Eagle Fire", a huge conflagration that takes all day to built, and may only be built and lit by Eagle Scouts.  My eldest son made Eagle this spring, and it was my recovery goal to be at his first Eagle Fire.  I spent Thursday night through this morning at camp.  I also went hiking and did archery (several bullseyes in spite of my currently poor eyesight).  The only difficulty I had (aside from putting in eyedrops on the expressway :o - OK, bad idea!) was walking the forest paths in the dark.  I had to hold onto my husband's hand pretty tightly, as my balance was a bit off in the dark (he's Scoutmaster).  The only concession I made to being postop was sleeping at a B&B nearby instead of in the tent.  I wanted to be sure to keep the incision clean after the issues I had.

Maybe others of you can post your "victories" too.  Sometimes it's good to be reminded how far we've come!

Hugs to all,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
Re: small victory
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:36:57 pm »
Tammy,
I'd consider what you just did a BIG victory!!! ;)
Congratulations!!!  I'm sure your heart was soooo proud to be at the Eagle Fire.  Congratulations to your son also, to make Eagle Scout!  You sound like a great mom!
That is a good idea you had, for everyone to share their small victories.  It does help to look for our small goals.
I'm not quite 2 weeks post op, so I hope to share some soon.
Thanks for sharing what you accomplished.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

marymomof3

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:35:42 pm »
Tammy - congrats on your victory!! That's great to hear!!
I had surgery on March 19th.  My sone turned 1 on May 21st.  I had gone into surgery with my mind set that I was going to have a big party for my son's 1st birthday.  ... and well, somehow I planned and cooked for a party of about 60 people less than 2 months post surgery.  That was my goal!!
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:10:17 pm »
Way to go!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

JulieW4

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 01:38:39 am »
Wow, Eagle Scout that it is great.  I think our kids are easily the best motivator to get well.  Last Tuesday I had my staples removed and got permission to drive just two weeks post op.  I first postponed my surgery until after my son graduated from high school and now my goal is to be able help him pack and get ready to send him off to college.  He is my first born and I have a special connection with him.  He was extremely worried about me before surgery and I now can tell that he is glad that things are going so well post surgery and he is now looking forward to going to college. 

Also, Mary congrats on your son turning 1.  Every birthday is special.  But they change so much in that first year.  Congrats on being able to celebrate his birthday with 60 people.

Great thread.  Great idea.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 08:06:58 am »
Tammy-

Wow!  I'm so impressed - I'd say that is  HUGE accomplishment.  Heck, I was feeling proud of myself for getting in and out of NYC yesterday all by myself - the thought of driving 300 miles is Herculean!

I actually think we are all pretty amazing, to tell the truth.  Every one of us has our own path to recovery and it is filled with milestones, both big and small.  We should all take time to celebrate each victory along the way. Thanks for reminding us of that, Tammy!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:32 am »
Congratulations to all you guys  ;D

IMO all milestones, both big & small should be celebrated.

So pat yourselves on the back and keep reaching for the stars  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 11:20:10 pm »
Hi Tammy,
All I can say is WOW!!!  None of what you mentioned seemed like a small victory at all, especially after all you've gone through and not that long ago.  You are one of my idols now!  It's great that there are so many people with inspirational stories like yours.  It makes those of us who have not yet been treated even more optimistic!!  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 06:24:32 am »
Debbi,
  I am in awe of you getting in and out of NYC!  Driving rural Wisconsin roads and highways is nothing compared to that.  I don't even know that I'd attempt that without being postop - heck, I don't even like driving in Chicago.  Way to go Debbi!
  Also glad you like your Blinkeze - I'm mostly wearing mine at night now - I think that it's too heavy for everyday wear now that I can close my eye better.  And give your thanks to DHM, not me - she's the one who pointed me to it...

Julie,
  That sounds like a great goal, and I'm sure you'll make it!  Our kids ARE great motivators.  I started driving at 2 1/2 weeks and it was OK, just a little different, but I've also got some eye issues.

Mary,
  Glad you made your goal - enjoy your little one - as you know, they grow quickly!

Wendy,
  Aw, Pshaw!  You'll be posting your own victories soon!

Lacey,
  Victories will be coming - I look forward to hearing about them :)

Take care all,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

jtd71465

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 08:23:45 am »
I will run in my 3rd 5K race this year on Wednesday night and am hopeful to post a time under 26 minutes.  To look back at 1/10/2007 and the following recovery all seem so distant...life hasn't stopped.

Joe-

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Kathleen5306

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:29 am »
Tammy

Your advice is so wonderful.  My surgery is in one week and I know I want to carry with me your vision of celebrating the small victories in my recovery.  I am happy for you and so encouraged to hear that life returns to the normal and wonderful events of our families.  Congratulations to your son!  That is an amazing accomplishment for him.  I can hardly wait to share my first postie small victory!

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:35:55 pm »
Tamara:

Congratulations on your not-so-small victory.  It is quite impressive and a testament to, not only your powers of recuperation but more significantly, your determination and motivation to be a part of an important moment in your son's life as you helped him celebrate his notable accomplishment of attaining Eagle Scout status and participating in the 'Eagle Fire' event.   Your love for your son is palpable and easily evidenced by the 300 mile drive you made.  Sleeping in the B&B seems like a pretty minor concession to your post-op status.  I can tell you that at some point in everyone's life, sleeping in a tent loses it's appeal.  It did for me - at about age 18. :)

I concur with your suggestion that we all should celebrate and post our victories, whether they be small or large.  I would only suggest that we might want to begin a new thread to do so.  Either way, we certainly do need to read about the positive aspects of AN recovery and not just the negative.  We all know about the negative, personally or via others, but the positive needs to be noted also.  Lets do that.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 02:04:50 pm »
Joe,
  What a great goal - more power to you - I've never been able to run!  I'll be thinking about you tomorrow - let us know how you do!

Jim,
  What, you don't like my thread? ;)  I'll leave it to you to start a new one if you wish - I'm guessing it's the title you want to change... have at it! :)

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 06:54:50 pm »
Wait.  I'm confused here  ???

Why do we need to begin another thread?  And what's wrong with the title?

Jan (call me an instigator, but I don't get it)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:49 pm »
Tamara, Jan:

It was just a suggestion but, judging by the response, apparently not a good one - so please ignore it. 

The concept is excellent, as I stated.  I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from posting positive messages, no matter the thread title.  I guess this is where I say "my bad".  Well, I would if it didn't sound so silly.  Carry on.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.