Author Topic: attention goldfish  (Read 6574 times)

Mary 117

attention goldfish
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:35:28 pm »
Since surgery, 2+ years ago, my attention span seems to be getting shorter and shorter. I think my attention span now is the same as a goldfish-which i read was about 7 secs. Anyone else have this issue and any solutions? Thanks and have a happy day! (if you read this post in one sitting you are not a goldfish)(my question is serious though and it's causing me problems at work)

Mary
2cm Middle Fossa, HEI, Dr Brackmann  05-24-05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: attention goldfish
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 03:08:33 pm »
Hi Mary:  My problem seems similar - with more difficulty concentrating, like I don't want to THINK so hard anymore.  I hate to admit this but I find I can't read even the long posts that are sometimes placed on this forum (sorry to those who've written them - I'm missing out on your discussions). 
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Shadow

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:14:31 pm »
I just had my two year post GK and I have the same problem. I'm reasonably bright but these days I'm challenged at keeping the same tought going for any length of time.  I"ve been telling friends and relatives that I've got the memory of a Guppy. :D So I hear your pain.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:33:38 pm »
Hi Mary,

there has been a great deal of discussion on this site re: cognitive issues, including memory issues as well as attention spans.  I believe there was discussion at the ANA Symposium this past summer about it... possibly a workshop.

Anyone here that attended the symposium, did you sit in on the workshop re: cognitive issues? Would love to know what they said... would you please be kind enough to share the updates?

thanks.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mary 117

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 07:50:00 am »
It's nice to know that others understand the problems. I'm going to talk with my regular GP at the next visit and maybe she can at least point me in the right direction. This can be really frustrating. Arrgh.

Mary

2cm AN Middle Fossa, HEI  Dr. Brackmann  05-24-05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Static

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 02:47:33 pm »
I attended the workshop on cognitive issues at the symposium but all they really talked about is dealing with depression and different meds.  They didn't really talk about any cognitive issues. 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 04:01:19 pm »
I went to the cognitive one at another years symposium and all I got all out of it was to use what ever means you need to help you remember stuff.    Lists.memory jigglers.post it notes,etc.       The same stuff we read in magazine articles on how to remember stuff.                In other words there is no solution to the problem.just trying to cope with it however one can for your own situitation!                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 07:50:43 pm »
Just before my surgery- I was becoming a goldfish…

I used to be a high school teacher in Canada …over a decade ago. One of the comments I made to my PCP, now here in the USA, (this was before we finally diagnosed there was big invasive AN tumor in my head) was that some days I felt I am like the students I write reports on- that were showing ADHD symptoms…BTW  I do NOT have ADHD (I was also dealing with a major sleep disorder before the AN diagnoses and it was actually the sleep clinic techy who pointed me towards the ENT direction … MRI etc)

Ironically since my surgery I actually am sleeping much better (I only taking reg Tylenol and a post op diuretic) … and my attention span now has much improved from what it was pre-surgery. My tumor was making my brain stem an “s� shape with the pressure… I am not sure this would affect one’s attention span or not.

Since surgery  I can no longer stand the taste of coffee (or chocolate –gasp!) Ie. I no longer have any caffeine in my diet? (I was a coffee drinker before surgery- but tried a week without before my sleep study- made no difference)

   How well are you sleeping?
   Are you getting at least 7 hours uninterrupted sleep every night?
   Great book to read is “sleep thievesâ€? http://www.stanleycoren.com/e_thieves.htm
   How much caffeine do you consume in a day?
   When was your last MRI?

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree with the sleep and/or caffeine questions- but thought I’d ask you anyway.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 05:25:19 pm »
Howdy neighbor!

My answers are:  Sleep great before and after surgery, yes 7 hours...can't go less or I crash now, I have 3-4 cups of tea or coffee, and I still eat chocolate.  Since you have the facial issues, I'm assuming the front 1/2 of your tongue is numb/lacking taste?  I'm wondering if that's the reason for your distaste of coffee/chocolate.  Things taste different to me now. 

Hope your recovery is going well!!!

Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 07:06:17 pm »
Hi Kathleen,

I (and some others on the forum) think the weird taste thing is actually not from the palsy but from all the titanium they put in our heads. (The hole filled with fat, titanium mesh, and then the skull piece replaced with 2 titanium screws). Many of us “metal heads� (vs the "fat heads") have complained of the taste issue (particularly with more acidic things and/or food with tannins) … and apparently this improves with time (eg. today I devoured two nummy home backed cookies brought by a friend that contained chocolate chips…. mmm)

Quoting you
“I have 3-4 cups of tea or coffee, and I still eat chocolate. “

Oh yeah you ARE hooked on caffeine. Try and experiment and go without caffeine for a week (gasp! But hey if you endured brain surgery- you can handle anything- right?!). You may want to wean slowly to avoid the ‘caffeine withdrawal headache’… see if your attention span is different and less fishy…

Just a thought…

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:44:10 am »
Hmmm...interesting.  I have not tried that yet.  But there are days I don't have any, or have decaf....just depends on the day.  But I will look at how much caffeine I have vs. how well I'm focused for the day....oh goody, a guinea pig!  I'm on WW so it'd be easy enough to log it there to track.

I'm a fat head, so to me things just don't taste....which to others might be that they taste weird.  Part of it for me is that the right "salty" side of my tongue is gone.  I haven't gotten the metallic thing...maybe it is because I don't have metal in my head....but I thought someone described that as a function of the 5th (Trigeminal) nerve.  Will try to remember to ask my dentist about that next time I go....she's a wealth of information about the finer functions of the cranial nerves. 

Glad the cookies were yummy! 

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 06:08:33 pm »
I am a gold fish lately and the later in the day it is I am pretty much a dead one...

I left the bed room with some dirty clothes yesterday and as I passed thru kitchen to the
utility room I noticed a spill the kids had left in floor when doing the dishes and stopped to
get it up and then went back to my bedroom to watch TV ... when show ended I went to
put clothe in the dryer and when I got to the washer they were gone...look in dryer and they
were not there either... went back in house and there is the basket of dirtys under the table
where I slid them when I tossed a towel that had been in the basket in floor to get up water..
the towel was back in the hamper in the bathroom... I am assuming I took it there as it
was only me and the cat here at the time but don't remember doing it

kinda funny now but yesterday it made me mad... I have had an increase in headaches and
trying to keep them in check with Tylenol and the nortriptyline ... less of the heavy duty
pain killers that knock me out ... more head aches mean less cognitive ability

I am a fat head and have the metal taste in my mouth...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 09:50:06 pm »
Oh Soundy,
You have described my life to a tee.  The headaches, the forgetfulness and the balance issues can really get a person down.  It has effected my job.  I was mess not last week but the week before.  Thank God my manager is understanding, she too suffers from headaches.   A few years ago before I started at this credit union one of the ladies came down with a severe headache at the Christmas party.  Just prior to that she was just not well and off balance.  She literally lost her sight that night and as it turned out she had a malignant brain tumour and last 6 months.  The girls I work with were kind of freaked out when I was diagonsed with the neuroma.  It is tough for them to see me cope and I'm sure they think of the other lady.
Hang in there kiddo.  Any huge beautiful purple bruises on your body and you do not know how they got there.  You should see the top outside of my left knee.  The bruise is massive, but a gorgeous colour of purlpe.  If someone didn't know any better they might think my husband beats me.

On holidays for the week.  Its the Canadian Thanksgiving next weekend .  I love this time of year.  Remember you are in good company.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

marg

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 10:28:53 pm »
I had the metal taste in my mouth a few times in the months before my AN was diagnosed...... couldn't figure out what it was (thought it was from a filling or something)..now looking back I realize that it was probably when the AN was attaching its sticky little self to my facial nerve  >:( .  I still have a metal taste ...but not as bad as the first 8 weeks after surgery.... I love my mocha's once again   ;D .  Things still taste different on each side of my mouth...but  better than 'heavy metal'.
     Oh, by the way I do have the titanium plates and screws in my head.  I hate when I am somewhere and the music or yelling is loud... the titanium vibrates and 'sounds' weird !!!!!  Anyone else have that happen?  If so does it get better with time?

As far as goldfish..... I was talking to my college daughter yesterday and said something about it being her last  year.... talk about spaced out... she is only a junior  -which she brought to my attention quickly -   I faked a 'I'm just kidding' but for some reason (wishful thinking since I am helping pay for her college?) ... I truly thought it was her senior year for a couple minutes.  This hasn't happened before but I have been very tired and not feeling well this whole last week (which has affected my balance and facial paralysis big time) . 
     Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 11:04:09 am »
I think it must be the change in seasons....I'm hopelessly brainless right now...I have a bad brain week, then a good brain week.  I'm surprised I even know what my own name is....at least I have the MRI to prove I do have a brain!  This week is starting off to being one of the no short term memory weeks....there's a radio station out here that plays a very wide variety of stuff (like AC/DC one song, then Bee Gee's on the next) and they never announce who the artist is, so my boyfriend and I play a game of who can guess who it is in the least amount of notes.  So in about 3 notes this morning I can jump in and get Clapton's "Let it Rain", but I probably can't tell you what I was doing 2 seconds ago at work.  I am really wondering what it's going to be like in 30 years or so.  I'm thinking I need to start planning for an AN retirement home, wouldn't that be hilarious!