Author Topic: I'm a postie now!! (1 week post-translab)  (Read 7939 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
I'm a postie now!! (1 week post-translab)
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:30:03 am »
So happy to proudly declare I am now a postie!! I won't lie. This week following surgery has been so hard but I'm hanging in there and seeing little improvements each day. I still can't focus on the computer for very long at all so I won't say much here. I have started blogging again slowly but surely and just put up a new entry so please check it out. (The web address is in my signature.) Thank you all for your continued support as I start the road to recovery!!  ;D
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: I'm a postie now!! (1 week post-translab)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:49:19 pm »
Hi, Amanda ~

Thanks for posting!

I read your blog entry and although you're struggling a bit with your recovery, I'm confident that with your youth and determination to get your life back, you'll be fine.  The fatigue is quite normal but eventually subsides as your body heals and recovers from the intensive surgery.  Most of the issues you're dealing with (fatigue, some facial weakness, taste changes) will be temporary, although probably not as temporary as you would prefer.  Patience will be needed as you continue your recovery but eventually, things will begin to get back to (relative) normal, albeit with a few adjustments.  The hair shaving thing must be annoying but I'm sure you'll find a way to fix it until the shaved section grows back, which it will - and probably faster than you realize.

Thanks again for the update and please rest as much as necessary. 

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:03:03 pm »
So glad you are posting yes it was tough but now you are on the other side after a week so that is terrific...Hoping for your recovery to go smoother now. Just speaking of myself and quite a few others fatigue usually goes with brain surgery but that is okay and hoping you will be part of the few that it will not continue that is okay you just learn to adjust to your daily schedule this is a journey that we all are going through and we are here for you. Now rest rest and more rest hoping you are doing some sort of Vestibular Therapy it helped me tremendously after my surgery.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:49:41 pm »
Congratulations, postie!!

Things will get better as time goes on.

Keep the faith!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »
Manders, so glad you are on the other side.  Just take each day as it comes and listen to your body.  You'll be amazed how soon things start clicking together! Take care and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »
Thanks guys! It really is getting sooo much easier with each day. It's very encouraging! I also finally posted my hospital experience on the blog so feel free to take a look!  :)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:20:26 pm »
So glad to hear you're doing so much better.  Hope your recovery is speedy & complete.

Enjoy reading your blog.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

JAndrews

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 07:43:54 am »
I remember feeling a little better with each week. Not so much each day. It took a few months before I could be on the computer longer than 15-20 mins without my eyes getting funky on me:) Good luck on your continued road to recovery..there is a light at the end of the tunnel...it took me a while..but here I am! I am fine.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 12:56:20 pm »
Glad to hear you are seeing/feeling improvement - it's amazing, isn't it!  We can feel SO lousy and think things will never be good again and then suddenly things start turning around (yes, as you mentioned in your blog, that first shower is worth more than any medicine I've ever had!)

You'll be back to Zumba before you know it ;D

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 04:03:22 pm »
Thanks Cindy! I certainly can't wait to be Zumba-ing again. I think for me right now the most frustrating thing is not being able to focus well. It means that I can't really do much, like reading or putting together a puzzle, or reading sheet music so I'm getting awfully bored. I can watch a little TV but not for long and I'm always dizzy afterwards. Might have to pull out my knitting needles. That I can do with my eyes closed... :)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »
Amanda .....

A little late here congratulating you on being a postie now!  Glad to hear you are doing well at 11 days post-op.  Good job!!

I can relate to the gaze stabilization difficulties.  I had double vision for two weeks after my first surgery so closed my eyes much of the time!  It took me quite a while before I was able to read a book comfortably for very long.  Reading music was not as difficult, because it seemed a more logical progression to me.  I had months of vestibular rehab (I have no vestibular function on either side) and much of it was gaze stabilization exercises.  If you would like to have me send you a copy of some of them, I would be happy to do that.  Just send me a PM.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

tx-anp

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 03:57:23 pm »
Glad to hear you are getting better!  I really started to feel better around the 2 week post surgery mark.  Keep exercising your mind and body!  Keep us posted.

2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

millie

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 05:54:41 pm »
Hooray for you!  Keep up the good work!
Just wanted to say my husband is three weeks past open heart surgery and is still tired and even a little depressed and forgetful (I think) but he is getting better.  I have been told everyone heals differently and at his own pace.  I am not great on the computer but will try to read your blog-am anxious to track your progress as I think I'd  too try surgery down the road.
Millie

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 12:16:12 pm »
Each day gets a little better although I still have to wear my head bandage for at least another week (if not more).  :( That part has been really discouraging because it's hard to feel like yourself again when you're still all bandaged up. I'm getting around much better although quick head movements still get me and everything still kind of moves around when I walk. I very much feel like I'm on the deck of a ship! I'm hoping that by the end of this coming week I'm feeling steadier. That's the goal anyway.  :)

BRS89

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 09:14:40 am »
Amanda,

I have been reading your post and blog now with great interest. You are sort of my guinea pig, in a complimentary way, because we seem to view life similarly, and I just assume my experience will mirror yours. I have my surgery in December and I appreciate how open and honest you are about the post process. I like to be mentally prepared for what I have to go through. It calms me somehow, and your data has been very helpful. Thank you.